New Orleans Saints 2011 Linebacking Corps Candidates Analyzed (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The position of linebacker for the New Orleans Saints last season was a lot like that of running back for them, where attrition dictated the roster much more than straight-ahead, old-fashioned competition did. The loss of two up and comers, both in their 2nd year at that time, in Stanley Arnoux and Jonathan Casillas, the first of whom would have projected as a solid backup and regular special teams contributor and the second of whom was expected to take over the starting position at weak side linebacker alongside Jonathan Vilma at MLB and Scott Shanle at SLB on the other side, threw a major wrench into the works at the very start of the season last year for sure.

Read the full article here:

http://isportsweb.com/2011/06/08/orleans-saints-linebacking-corps-candidates-analyzed/

I would love for Casillas to get another chance at Will. Hopefully he is healthy this year. I agree, with the Article, Shanle is probably gone...someone will offer him more than we will and he will pop smoke. I dont think he stays as a starter, this year. Im really excited to see Martez at Sam. We need to try something new and he is the best option, imo. With Vilma holding the center, I cant see a reason, barring injuries, they're not an improvement.

Thanks for the write up and post.
Vilma-Wilson-Casillas bring the wood and the speed. Can't wait to see the
blitz packages Williams dials in for this trio.

I'm very excited about the LB position this year... even moreso than last year. I hope our luck is better.

——————————————————————————————-
By positions:​
SLB: Martez Wilson (R), Jo-Lonn Dunbar (4th yr)​
MLB: Jonathan Vilma (8th yr), Marvin Mitchell (5th yr)​
WLB: Jonathan Casillas (3rd yr), Stanley Arnoux (3rd yr), Nate Bussey (R)​

To me the two guys on this list who may need to be looking over their shoulders are Arnoux and Dunbar, Arnoux has gone on IR in both of his 2 seasons so staying healthy will be the key for him and Dunbar has never really impressed me that much I know he has good instincts and is a sure tackler but and undersized LB with his lack of speed doesn't offer much (plus Danny Clark beating him out while only being with the team a week or so doesn't help Dunbar's case either).

One guy to keep an eye on could be Ezra Butler at 6-2 248 he has speed 4.49 40 and 1.44 10 yard to possibly push Dunbar for that backup SLB spot

At 6’3 3/4”, 250 pounds, and timed at a sub-4.5 40-yard dash, Martez Wilson is someone who could bring renewed greatness to the number #2 Saints jersey. He can't wear that number in the NFL can he?

At 6’3 3/4”, 250 pounds, and timed at a sub-4.5 40-yard dash, Martez Wilson is someone who could bring renewed greatness to the number #2 Saints jersey. He can't wear that number in the NFL can he?

No he can't, not as a LB...

In one of his interviews Shanle came straight out and admitted he's not that good of a fit at WLB in Williams defense.

I can really see this team spending 3 million, 1 year deal on a veteran OLB like Rocky McIntosh or Justin Durant. Both have experience in Williams system and they can be starters at SLB until Wilson is ready and they can also provide insurance in case Casillas isn't back to where he was last year or gets hurt again. Once you get past all the top FA's this will be a buyers market in FA and I can see Loomis getting some good deals.

There is no way Martez Wilson will be our starting SAM. Either Clark or Shanle will be retained and my bet is on Shanle coming back. I could see a decrease in Shanle snaps in favor of a Wilson/Dunbar rotation as the season progresses though.

There is no way Martez Wilson will be our starting SAM. Either Clark or Shanle will be retained and my bet is on Shanle coming back. I could see a decrease in Shanle snaps in favor of a Wilson/Dunbar rotation as the season progresses though.
Do you mean at the start of the season or never during the course of the season?

I tend to disagree with you. LB is arguable the easiest position in the NFL to transition into from college. I think like....8 of the last 10 D-ROY winners have been a LB. I tend to think he won't be the starter at SLB when the season begins, but I don't think it's that long of a shot that he eventually wins the job.

if the saints go with vilma tez and casillas we will have went from the slowest LB corp to the fastest and its not even close, tez has clocked a 4.49 and casillas at a 4.45, BUT if we could get a 1 year deal with manny lawson or durant at the SAM for tez to sit behind for 1 year and get his feet wet I wouldn't be upset at all. Lawson is that type of crazy athlete that Tez is and they are the same size, but durant is more of a poor man's jon beason, which means he is an absolute beast in the run support game

Wilson is still raw. That's why he fell to the 3rd round. He's never played SLB where his read is the TE. I think asking him to come in and start right away is asking too much from him on a shortened offseason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom