New Orleans Saints Booster Club. (1 Viewer)

jdl1201

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What ever happened to the Saints Booster Club? I was a member of it in the early '90s. Meetings were held every Tue and they always had a guest speaker from the Saints or one of the local sportscasters. They also used to put on "Saints Fan Day" witch was a 2 or 3 day event with autographs signings and memorabilia for sale. I have pictures and autographs of Jim Mora, Dom Capers, Archie Manning, Jim Finks, and many of the Saints players at the time.
I have searched the net and can't find any info of the club so I'm guessing its defunct. Has anyone thought of trying to start the organisation again?

It's been gone for a few years. I still carry one of my old membership cards in my wallet. I went to a bunch of the meetings growing up. It was cool because we'd always have players and coaches as guests at the meetings. I had this one Saints bandana that I had gotten as a giveaway at a Saints game, and I would bring it to every meeting and have the guest sign it. I got a ton of autographs on it. We'd also have the MVP banquet every year, where the members would all vote on MVPs in different categories and they'd all be at the banquet. I miss all that stuff.

What ever happened to the Saints Booster Club? I was a member of it in the early '90s. Meetings were held every Tue and they always had a guest speaker from the Saints or one of the local sportscasters. They also used to put on "Saints Fan Day" witch was a 2 or 3 day event with autographs signings and memorabilia for sale. I have pictures and autographs of Jim Mora, Dom Capers, Archie Manning, Jim Finks, and many of the Saints players at the time.
I have searched the net and can't find any info of the club so I'm guessing its defunct. Has anyone thought of trying to start the organisation again?

...but The Touchdown Club of New Orleans is still around...I'm a past-president...Welcome the Saints, Super-Boil, dinner meetings at great restaurants like Drago's that usually have a player of two attending...if you are interested go here http://www.tdcno.org

...but The Touchdown Club of New Orleans is still around...I'm a past-president...Welcome the Saints, Super-Boil, dinner meetings at great restaurants like Drago's that usually have a player of two attending...if you are interested go here http://www.tdcno.org

For years, when I was a member of the Booster Club, I tried to become a member of the TD Club and despite numerous efforts, never even got a letter or message back. Are they not open to membership?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was just going to post the same question and came across this thread on google. So does anyone know why The Booster Club went defunct besides the obvious answer....... Mike Ditka LOL. Those Saints Fan Days were great.

Haslett also thought we were stupid & didn't like us having the birthday cake at the Saints facility & us getting to get autographs & pictures with the team after their practice.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was just going to post the same question and came across this thread on google. So does anyone know why The Booster Club went defunct besides the obvious answer....... Mike Ditka LOL. Those Saints Fan Days were great.

The board of the Booster Club was very close knit. Unfortunately, they did not allow a lot of those outside that group to get involved in the board. As a result, as the members aged, it became harder and harder to maintain the club. Lean years with the team added to that difficulty as meetings began to get more spread out with less attendance. Had they allowed younger blood into the board, it may have had the opportunity to continue. It was sad when it ended as I was a member for years and really enjoyed the meetings and events. I actually came across my booster club t-shirt in the back of my closet a few weeks ago.

The board of the Booster Club was very close knit. Unfortunately, they did not allow a lot of those outside that group to get involved in the board. As a result, as the members aged, it became harder and harder to maintain the club. Lean years with the team added to that difficulty as meetings began to get more spread out with less attendance. Had they allowed younger blood into the board, it may have had the opportunity to continue. It was sad when it ended as I was a member for years and really enjoyed the meetings and events. I actually came across my booster club t-shirt in the back of my closet a few weeks ago.

This is VERY inaccurate! I was a member of the board of the Booster Club. I was only 26 years old when I became a board member. Yes, I was the youngest, and the rest were far older than me, but they never restricted younger blood from being on the board. To be honest, there weren't that many young people who even attended the meetings, much less ran for the board.

The main reason we decided to close the Booster Club was because of lack of participation from the New Orleans Saints under Jim Haslett. When Jim Mora and Mike Ditka were coaching, they encouraged the players to come to the meetings. Jim Haslett DIScouraged it. Every year, the 1st meeting of the year was the head coach. Every year, they showed up, except Haslett. We also had a birthday party for the Saints at the practice facility every year, and Haslett stopped that.

Eventually, we were only able to get 3rd and 4th string players to the meeting, which led to the decline in attendance (which you could understand). So the plain and simple truth is that Haslett (and Randy Meuller) were the reason the Booster Club closed.

Saintsfan75 thanks for the response. Its nice to see that the organization is run differently today. Also with the 60K+ on the waiting list I don't think fan participation would be a problem. I must say at the meetings I always enjoyed when the guest were Front Office personal or Coaches. I wonder what it would take to get something like that started again?

For years, when I was a member of the Booster Club, I tried to become a member of the TD Club and despite numerous efforts, never even got a letter or message back. Are they not open to membership?

Maybe they didn't like your essay?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom