Article New Orleans Saints CB Paulson Adebo Could Be NFL's Next Great Ballhawk (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A pretty good read for the off-season lull.

1621206000692.png

By Brent Sobleski | Bleacher Report

The New Orleans Saints got themselves a ball magnet when they chose Stanford cornerback Paulson Adebo with the 76th pick in the 2021 NFL draft.

Adebo's third-round availability should prove to be a blessing after the Saints entered the draft with the league's worst cornerback room.

Aside from Marshon Lattimore, the roster didn't feature another quality outside corner. The Saints cut veteran Janoris Jenkins for salary-cap purposes. From there, Patrick Robinson, P.J. Williams and safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson are better working over the slot than outside the numbers.

So it came as no surprise when Saints head coach Sean Payton told reporters that Adebo will start his career at left outside corner. He has to because options are limited.

The organization knew this. Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis set their sights on trading up in the first round to select South Carolina's Jaycee Horn or Alabama's Patrick Surtain II. Payton described how the front office tried to attack draft day during an interview on the Rich Eisen Show:

"It was pretty simple. There were a couple of players that we'd move up for, but for us, we have a 'must' at corner. So we had two corners graded—both Horn and Surtain—with real high grades. And very quickly, early in the week, it's pretty common for teams to say, 'Hey, we have an interest.' Everyone's basically open for business.

"But ultimately, there wasn't a team wanting to move out of the first 10 picks. And so, I think that lasted all of a half an hour maybe, the morning of reaching out to these teams. And the cost would've been, if we found a trade partner, too high. So at that point, our feeling was, it's going to come to us at 28, so let's make sure we have our cloud of players ready. And that's exactly what happened."

Full Story - Bleacher Report

I'm excited to see what he can do. I hope he doesn't have to start week 1.

I hope Adebo starts for our SAINTS week one, that means we have a new star player on defense at a desperate need for.

If Adebo is as good as the article seems to imply, then that is pressure for him to be a defensive ROY.
I like him and am happy to have him on our roster. Maybe he will be a steal of this draft class as stated in the article.

Looks like he will have to start soon if not immediately. From where they drafted, looks like they chose potential over immediate contribution, but for CB 2 it has to be sink or swim. With so many new pieces on defense and uncertainty at qb this looks like a roller coaster season.

A Ball hawk corner is good to have if you have solid safety help for him. Those type corners tend to be boom or bust from play to play. They play the ball more than the receiver, so if they miss the ball, they're often left out of position to make the tackle. We have a very solid safety. In fact, our only question marks our secondary has is LCB and depth on the outside. Having two very high level outside corners like we had last year is extremely rare in today's NFL. hopefully Adebo becomes that and very quickly.

What I saw from him today, I have zero doubt he will be a standout CB in the ENTIRE NFL. And he actually looks back for the ball! Imagine that!

But really, I think the new defensive backs coach is a big improvement over Glenn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom