New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton 'cautiously optimistic' Pierre Thomas will return this week (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
"I think he is going to play," Payton said. "I do. What I don't want to do is say he is playing next Sunday and then not be right if it doesn't feel well this week. But I would say based on the way he practiced last week that there is a lot of optimism he will be involved in this plan."

"They just want to be smart about it," Thomas said. (Payton) gave me his word. And he said this week he is not going to bother me. He thinks I'm good. I told him I feel good and I'm ready to go. I have to show it. He's willing to play me if I'm ready. I'm ready."

article here:
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/12/new_orleans_saints_coach_sean_125.html

I really think the Saints are going into the playoffs on the feet of Chris Ivory, not Pierre Thomas.

I think Pierre Thomas' days as a Saint are effectively over.

I really think the Saints are going into the playoffs on the feet of Chris Ivory, not Pierre Thomas.

I think Pierre Thomas' days as a Saint are effectively over.

Me too... but both PT and Ivory have injury concerns. They'll have to choose one, because PT's contract is up.

Ivory has been hurt? News to me!!! When did this occurr?

He missed the first two games of the season with a knee injury sustained in the preseason. Other than that, he has played in every game though I think he's left early once or twice after being shaken up.

Payton will use Ivory, Thomas and Bush. Ivory is effectively a better, more punishing runner than Mike Bell. That will make this offense much the same as it was last year, and Id go a step further and say that the offense will be better come playoff time. I think Ivory is an upgrade over Bell, Jimmy Graham is becoming more and more of a weapon and they are getting Meachem involved like he was last year.

Last year we had injuries that kept starters out for extended periods and it made us better. We got our depth some playing time. Same this year. We have discovered what we have in Ivory, Robinson, Jenkins and Graham due to injuries.

Translation = Coach Payton doesn't know if he'll play at all the rest of the season.

Have PT and the Coach had a "falling out" or is it just that the severity of the injury was not diagnosed when it first happened? Both? I remember what happened 4 years ago with Joe Horn and wonder if PT will even be back in 2011.

Translation = Coach Payton doesn't know if he'll play at all the rest of the season.

Have PT and the Coach had a "falling out" or is it just that the severity of the injury was not diagnosed when it first happened? Both? I remember what happened 4 years ago with Joe Horn and wonder if PT will even be back in 2011.

"They just want to be smart about it," Thomas said. (Payton) gave me his word. And he said this week he is not going to bother me. He thinks I'm good. I told him I feel good and I'm ready to go. I have to show it. He's willing to play me if I'm ready. I'm ready."

I think a lot of people are making up this "falling" out

Let's wait & see what he's got the rest of the year before we kick him out the door.
A couple of his screen passes at the right time and we'll be back on the PT bandwagon.
The possibility of PT-Reggie-Ivory-Hamilton would be awesome.

I'm just surpised no one on here is talking about Payton saying today that the # of Ivory's touches will not be affected at all by the return of Pierre.

I'm just surpised no one on here is talking about Payton saying today that the # of Ivory's touches will not be affected at all by the return of Pierre.

That makes sense. Why make an abrupt decrease in the amount of carries of someone that's played in most of the games? They'll ease PT back into the lineup, much like they've been doing with Reggie. I suspect when PT comes back, they'll deactivate Jones, Ivory will get the touches he's been getting, Reggie's touches will increase a bit, and PT will get the amount of touches Reggie's been getting, until everyone's at full strength.

What wouldn't make sense would be to insert PT right back into his old role as if nothing has happened.

“Chris has done a number of good things and I don’t want to affect his snap count at all in regards to his carries,’’ Payton said. “We’ll be smart about who’s up and then having the plan that we think is best for our team, but certainly (Ivory) has earned the reps that he’s getting now and the touches that he’s getting now. He’s a different type of runner than either Pierre or Reggie or Julius (Jones).’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/33050/pierre-thomas-on-verge-of-return

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom