New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton says coaching searches will speed up once Super Bowl 2013 passes (1 Viewer)

krundlemoose

Resident Weirdo
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't see it posted, but gives a little insight on some other candidates that I haven't seen talked about too much on here.

Payton said twice this week that there really wasn’t any news to report on any coaching front. He also said all of the searches would pick up steam next week after Super Bowl 2013 wrapped up and left town.
Considering both the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens run two of the best 3-4 defensive schemes in football and both teams are playing in Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans on Sunday, Payton could easily be waiting for this game to end in hopes of finding his next defensive coordinator off either Jim or John Harbaugh’s staff.

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton says coaching searches will speed up once Super Bowl 2013 passes | NOLA.com

(Donatell is) very detailed," Whitner said. "Very, very detailed, sometimes to the point where you want to say, 'Coach, I've got it.' But you know, that's just how he is each and every day. He's prepared. He's prepared to coach his players and he's prepared to break it down to an elementary level.
"When he first came in, he said, 'I know you guys came from other places and you used different terminology, but we're going to use this terminology and we're going to take it back to an elementary level. We're going to teach you why quarterbacks like to go where they like to go, how the quarterback coaches and the offensive coordinators are teaching the quarterbacks.

I know people don't want him as the coordinator but the above gives me confidence in him. We had a very bad problem with our coverage responsibilities last year. Give me a good DB coach that can help out in that area. Sounds like he can.

Keep the terminology simple so the players can play faster.

The only thing I don't like about hiring a guy like Tomsula or Donatell is the fact that they're up and comers, and if they were to do what we all want them to do - turn our defense around - they'll be head coaches within the next year or two.

I think a guy like Crennel would offer more stability in that regard. He'd be around for a good 4 or 5 years before retiring.

Maybe someone could shed some light on this issue im having.

We have a potent offense that outs up points causing defenses to pass a lot on us. Wouldnt we want to target someone from a staff whos defense excelled against the pass? Like say the texans?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

We have a potent offense that outs up points causing defenses to pass a lot on us. Wouldnt we want to target someone from a staff whos defense excelled against the pass? Like say the texans?

Did you see the Texans games when they played Green Bay and New England (The first game). I'll take my chances with a good pass rush. That will help the secondary.

So it seems like Crennel may be out at this point?

The fact is, it is up to Romeo. They guy would literally be working for free this year. Dude is 65 years old, rich, coming off a tough season where he watched one of his own players blow his head off right in front of him, Im sure he just might want to take atleast a year off, collect millions and relax rather than trying to rebuild our terrible D.

I get wht ur saying but we've sucked against the run since Payton got here.

Its makes an offense more predictable when u stop the run first and force them to pass.

THe 49ers were probably bad against the pass because the had a lot of garbage time #'s put up on them.

Our biggest problems on D have been 1st and 2nd down. We fix that and those 3rd n longs are more manageable for the D. IF they cant get a sack at least they stop the 3rd down conversion.

I get wht ur saying but we've sucked against the run since Payton got here.

Its makes an offense more predictable when u stop the run first and force them to pass.

THe 49ers were probably bad against the pass because the had a lot of garbage time #'s put up on them.

Our biggest problems on D have been 1st and 2nd down. We fix that and those 3rd n longs are more manageable for the D. IF they cant get a sack at least they stop the 3rd down conversion.

This. Especially 1st down.

At this point the Larry is throwing darts. Every assistant coach on the BAL and SF staff has been named as a possibility except for Teryl Austin. Maybe he is saving him for tomorrow's story.

So it seems like Crennel may be out at this point?

Seems like it but I can't help thinking it might be for the best. Romeo has been around a long time and you wonder about burn out. Personally I want a younger, hungrier coach looking to make a name for himself. Although it may prove difficult to find a coach hungrier than Romeo Crennel. :scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom