New Orleans Saints cornerback Corey White ready to prove himself all over again (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
11772968-mmmain.jpg

As one of the players who came to the New Orleans Saints last year during Coach Sean Payton's suspension, second-year cornerback Corey White didn't expect to be recognized when he and Payton crossed paths.

But White was wrong.

Between workout repetitions one day this offseason, White met Payton in the Saints' weight room and came away impressed.

"He knew everything about me," White said Wednesday night while serving as an observer at the Saints' Black and Gold Hoops Challenge at Rummel. "I was surprised. It's good to see his face and hear his voice in the room."

It was even better to be noticed.

More

I hope this dude becomes something great for our defense. He seems hungry, motivated, and confident at all times. I'm rooting for this guy!!!

His play seemed to improve in the later part of the season. Would be nice to see him continue to develop. Hopefully with a better scheme the secondary won't be the hot mess it was last year as well.

he was having one of the best games of his career against Atl before his injury. looking forward to seeing more of him. I must say for a rookie he was very impressive.

Before he got injured in the Atlanta game in the Dome last season, I think he showed genuine flashes of above average play. He is a physical corner that was excellent in run support, defended the flats well and started to catch onto the speed of the game in front of him. I think he will be better as a man corner, vice the off zone Spag's had him playing last season.

All those things being said I think he will be a more than a serviceable corner this year and may push Robinson for nickel back duty.

I thought his play improved through out the course of the season. I mean making the jump from Samford to the NFL isn't quite the easiest thing, but I'm rooting for this guy

He's got the size Ryan supposedly likes in a corner (pretty much the exact size of Lewis) so who knows, maybe that will help him get a leg up on some playing time. At any rate, he has to love the fact he's getting a fresh start with Payton back, a different DC and this new McGriff character they have coaching the secondary. It must feel like all the starting jobs are up for grabs (they probably are).

Corey White - NFC South Blog - ESPN

Cornerback Corey White 45.65%

According to this article that's the percentage of plays he was in on defensively last year, which is great for a rookie. Under RR and McGriffs tutelage he should have a very good year. We need him.

early in the year he looked completely lost. but then again... so did the rest of the defense :p

My concerns have to do with scheme. White was drafted because he was a physical, athletic, zone corner who fit what Spags was trying to do schematically. All reports I read claim he struggles in man coverage. It remains to be seen how White fits into Ryan's defense if at all.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

He should do good in this scheme but if he is a zone CB then maybe we might have a problem but then again RR secondary coach is good so who knowns

SP is phenomenal at stroking all of his players.. Something I believe wasn't there last year.

"We all have players who are going to come in and compete at all the positions."

He's totally right! Theres competition all around our team next year! ot,wr,de,olb,cb,s. I cant wait for training camp and preseason in august!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom