New Orleans Saints defensive changes caught players by surprise (1 Viewer)

sheltonwhodat

Very Banned
Reaction score
New Orleans Saints defensive changes caught players by surprise | NOLA.com

Free safety Malcolm Jenkins and defensive end Cam Jordan both said Tuesday that they were unaware that such drastic changes were on the way.

But just two days after being reinstated from a season-long suspension for his role in the Saints' infamous bounty scandal, Payton decided to cut ties with Spagnuolo, after just one season, and revamp his defensive scheme.

"I guess it was a surprise because we didn't really have any idea about it," Jenkins said of the change to a 3-4 defense. "I don't really know much about the 3-4 defense. But I'm sure if Sean is going to go to it there is a reason for it, and I know it'll be in the best interest of the team.

No offense to Jordan and MJ but I would have wished they included some quotes from more than just 2 players.

This may sound stupid, but I dont like players referring to coaches, especially the Head Coach by first name. In a professional setting they should keep it formal at all times. Just like in the military we spend more time together than family and informal 1st names are great, but in a professional setting they have enough respect and understanding to address the title. Maybe I am being stupid, but to me its lack of dicipline and respect.

This may sound stupid, but I dont like players referring to coaches, especially the Head Coach by first name. In a professional setting they should keep it formal at all times. Just like in the military we spend more time together than family and informal 1st names are great, but in a professional setting they have enough respect and understanding to address the title. Maybe I am being stupid, but to me its lack of dicipline and respect.

To me it's a confront level, it's like when you get cool with your boss our wife parents. You begin to call them by there first name or anyway you want.

jenkins played football all his life and doesnt know anything about a 3-4 defense? thats the most disturbing thing i have heard this offseason so far....

To me it's a confront level, it's like when you get cool with your boss our wife parents. You begin to call them by there first name or anyway you want.

I understand that and we do the same thing, but never outside of the group or with media if that makes sense

I would agree if not for how respected SP is in the facility.

They know who the boss is. He just axed a DC after one year. Not many teams do that. Heck, in Vitts' testimony, they are admittedly "slow to fire". ( see Gary Gibbs et al )

So I think it really is nothing more than a "term of endearment" as opposed to lack of respect for the title.

I agree with you in most settings. But IMO the NFL is a little different. Sean Payton is the teams head coach, Tom Benson is the boss. You will never hear a player refer to Benson as "Tom". I've always heard it as "Mr. Benson". Even when SP talks about him (most of the time).

jenkins played football all his life and doesnt know anything about a 3-4 defense? thats the most disturbing thing i have heard this offseason so far....

That is what struck me. Has he not studied any other defenses ever? As a matter of fact, didn't Williams often use a 3-4 while Jenkins was playing? One more thing....You play on a defense with historically bad stats and it never occurs to you that changes may be coming? Are our defensive players really this stupid?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom