New Orleans Saints DT Akiem Hicks ready for team's new 3-4 defensive scheme: TP (1 Viewer)

Hicks - Bunkley - Jordan seems to be the likely lineup.

But if a good NT or DT is there in round one, we should ask "What Would Belichick Do" and draft a mainstay of the D-line for the next decade.

(I did not forgive the Saints for passing on Wilfork, until Will Smith's block on Manning).
patriots draft poorly

Wonder if he is big enough(or put on more muscle and weight) to be our NT so we dont have to draft 1?
Hicks is 6'5, 325lbs. He is plenty big enough to play NT. He is big enough to eat up space and take blockers, but also athletic enough to beat those double teams. If they want him to play end, he will have to drop about 20lbs.

Hicks is 6'5, 325lbs. He is plenty big enough to play NT. He is big enough to eat up space and take blockers, but also athletic enough to beat those double teams. If they want him to play end, he will have to drop about 20lbs.
If Hicks plays NT then who plays DE opposite Jordan?

SaintFan26 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASaintFerLife

So we have the players for out front 3? That would be sweet because with the back 4 in Loften, Vilma(with a contract cut), Wilson, and Hawthorne, would be nice or at least be decent imho.

So then we would draft an Tackle in the 1st and maybe fix the secondary in the 3rd round our FA?

Might work??

I just can't picture Vilma starting for a 3-4 defense, he couldn't do it at 26 with the Jets, I can't picture him doing it for us at 31 with a bum knee. Even healthly he's just not big enough to play inside and too slow to play outside. Hawthorne and Lofton should be our ILBs, with a combination of Galette, Wilson, Broughton, and a late draft pick/FA as the OLB spots.

If I remember correctly, he did pretty good in the 3-4 as well but just wasn't his scheme of choice.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

If Hicks plays NT then who plays DE opposite Jordan?

Barkevious Mingo......................package Ingram and our 15th pick to move up and get the stud DE.

Hicks is a REAL talent, Tom Johnson on is left in certain blitz packages will cause Hicks to have a one on one situation....He'll collapse the pocket with a little help and the DE's feast which will totally help the back end to have more chances with interceptions.

I'm excited to see what our 3-4 defense will look like. This is my take.
LDE- Bunkley & Walker
NT- Akiem Hicks, Draft Pick
RDE- Jordan, Smith W/Tom Johnson
SILB- Lofton, Draft Pick
WILB- Vilma, Hawthorne
SOLB-Martez Wilson, FA maybe
WOLB- Jr. Gallet, Braylon Broughton
Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Barkevious Mingo......................package Ingram and our 15th pick to move up and get the stud DE.

Hicks is a REAL talent, Tom Johnson on is left in certain blitz packages will cause Hicks to have a one on one situation....He'll collapse the pocket with a little help and the DE's feast which will totally help the back end to have more chances with interceptions.

Mingo play DE in the 3-4? God this post is full of fail, your lust to trade Ingram is backfiring.

No. Mingo would be OLB not DE in a 3-4

edit: JD beat me to it

I think Mingo can only be an OLB in a 3-4.

Edit: I got beat to it twice!

What I wanted to say.. Has already been said:aargh:

I believe we will finally have the defense to compliment our offense. We already have a lot of pieces to fit the new 3-4 scheme. I believe Hicks will be a force at NT or DE. He may be versitile enough to play both positions, same with Bunkley. Bunkley was a force in the 3-4 in Denver 2 seasons ago. We need to draft at least 1 NT or maybe sign one in FA and maybe another ILB in draft or FA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom