New Orleans Saints DT Akiem Hicks ready for team's new 3-4 defensive scheme: TP (2 Viewers)

total difference than (i dont know what the 3-4 is ) jenkins huh?

Smith is gone! He doesn't fit the 3-4 scheme.

If he wants to stay in the NFL he will have to switch to a DT in the 4-3. He is painfully slow as a DE....

I think Will Smith is actually a much better fit in a 3-4 than a 4-3. He is not an edge rusher, but he is effective against the run at the point of attack. He weighs about 290 which is in the range of what you want in a 3-4 DE. At this point in his career, and at his price, is it worth keeping him around to try and see if he can make the switch?? Not so sure about that.

IIRC when we signed Bunkley he was rated as the best against the run playing primarily a NT type postion for Denver. I think it would make more since for him to play there and start Hicks and Jordan at the end spots, while getting a DE in the 3 or 4th round for depth.

I think Hicks is too big to play DE in the 3-4. I realize 3-4 DEs have to be bigger than 4-3 DEs, but Hicks is just too big for that role. Hicks is more of a space eater, so I think NT would be a more natural position for him. Cam Jordan, on the other hand, would be just about perfect for that position (DE in a base 3-4). If we don't keep Will Smith, I think we will have to look for another DE to play opposite Jordan (I don't see anyone on the current roster who could do it).

I think Will Smith is actually a much better fit in a 3-4 than a 4-3. He is not an edge rusher, but he is effective against the run at the point of attack. He weighs about 290 which is in the range of what you want in a 3-4 DE. At this point in his career, and at his price, is it worth keeping him around to try and see if he can make the switch?? Not so sure about that.
Why do people keep saying this? He was terrible against the run last year. Teams ran at him instead of running at Cam Jordan.

I think Hicks is too big to play DE in the 3-4. I realize 3-4 DEs have to be bigger than 4-3 DEs, but Hicks is just too big for that role. Hicks is more of a space eater, so I think NT would be a more natural position for him. Cam Jordan, on the other hand, would be just about perfect for that position (DE in a base 3-4). If we don't keep Will Smith, I think we will have to look for another DE to play opposite Jordan (I don't see anyone on the current roster who could do it).

Tom Johnson could play the other DE.

EDIT: Forgot about Tyrunn Walker, who is big enough to fill that role (DE), but not too big so as to be wasted in a 3-4D.

I just don't agree with this... He moves so well for his size and just because he's big doesn't mean he's just a "space eater" he's super athletic, high motor and long arms... To me, I see him as a great DE in the 3-4...

I get excited about this as our front 4:

Jordan - Bunkley - Hicks
Wilson - Hawthorne - Curtis - draft pick (im not sure if Galette can operate in space but he can get after the QB.)

The reason i think Will Smith will stay is because as he menitoned. We ran some 3-4 concepts under Williams b-4 so he is familiar with the system.

Beyond Will Smith/Cam Jordan/Akiem Hicks/Bunkley...we don't know if any of these guys can fit in the system. So releasing smith would create a depth issue beyond the big 3. Well retaining smith will allow us to have hicks backup BOTH end spots and Bunkley@ Nose.

This would allow us to take someone like the other NT from georgia in like the 6th round and bring him around slowly 4 a year.

LDE Cam Jordan/Hicks/Tom Johnson or Tyrunn Walker
RDE Will Smith/Hicks
DT Bunkley/Hicks/draft pick

He could come in and spell everyone as hes capable of playing the nose 0tech/ 1 tech and both DE spots.

It means having to spend as little resources as possible in FA along the line because of a lack of depth.

Like Canton always says.

U don't just release good players..if u don't know who ur going to replace them with. Or if said replacement is really better.

Will Smith is still a good player.......just not a RDE in a 4-3 defense. His edge rushing days are wayyyy behind him.

If Hicks going to play LDE which OLB is going to play behind him? Also, where is Lofton going to be on the ILB spot? Is Lofton going to be between Cam and Bunkley, or will he be between Bunkley and Hicks?

Good question. I think that Lofton and Wilson are the two ILB. Wilson will be on the strong side (with Hicks) and Lofton will be behind Cam on the weak side. The Saints currently don't have their SOLB on the roster. I think that it will probably be our 1st rounder (hopefully Jarvus Jones or Dion Jordan).

The reason i think Will Smith will stay is because as he menitoned. We ran some 3-4 concepts under Williams b-4 so he is familiar with the system.

Beyond Will Smith/Cam Jordan/Akiem Hicks/Bunkley...we don't know if any of these guys can fit in the system. So releasing smith would create a depth issue beyond the big 3. Well retaining smith will allow us to have hicks backup BOTH end spots and Bunkley@ Nose.

This would allow us to take someone like the other NT from georgia in like the 6th round and bring him around slowly 4 a year.

RDE Will Smith/Hicks

He could come in and spell everyone as hes capable of playing the nose 0tech/ 1 tech and both DE spots.

It means having to spend as little resources as possible in FA along the line because of a lack of depth.

Like Canton always says.

U don't just release good players..if u don't know who ur going to replace them with. Or if said replacement is really better.

Will Smith is still a good player.......just not a RDE in a 4-3 defense. His edge rushing days are wayyyy behind him.

Smith isn't good against the run...and contributes nothing as a pass rusher. He is owed a kings ransom next season. If they bring him back for next to nothing, then sure I wouldn't mind him as depth..but it will have to be a drastic pay cut.

We'd have to trade up at least 8-10 spots to get hJarvis Jones. Without a 2nd round pick to add in the mix, what are we going to give to get there?

Our only prayer is that teams (like USC) are mistakenly scared off by spinal stenosis. Trading a third and our first would be a ton to wager. It might in fact be worth it (it definitely paid off for the Falcons in getting Julio). But it would be a risk.

So we have the players for out front 3? That would be sweet because with the back 4 in Loften, Vilma(with a contract cut), Wilson, and Hawthorne, would be nice or at least be decent imho.

So then we would draft an Tackle in the 1st and maybe fix the secondary in the 3rd round our FA?

Might work??

We need some quality for the front 3 plus a potential game changing space eater at NT. Plus don't count on Vilma being here. I'm not saying he won't be. I'm just saying don't count on it.

Smith isn't good against the run...and contributes nothing as a pass rusher. He is owed a kings ransom next season. If they bring him back for next to nothing, then sure I wouldn't mind him as depth..but it will have to be a drastic pay cut.

Oh no doubt.....he WILL take a paycut. However i see that as their first option rather than cutting him.

Some other players may not get that benefit.

Im sure smith would like to finish out his contract here and like i said due to the depth it provides it makes more sense to keep him then release him.

Also he may start but u might see him switched in and out with Hicks a lot. Or hicks will come in for Bunkley on passing situations on the inside. If Will wasn't on the roster then yeah i can see him starting.

Moving smith inside against the run might also help him. He won't have to defend those edge runs anymore. He can use his power a lot more effectively....in theory.

RDE Will Smith/Hicks

Like Canton always says.

And how does us being +15 million over the salary cap fit into yours and Canton's scenarios? We can't even restructure his contract to make him fit under the cap, he'd have to take a drastic pay cut.

And you're failing to take into account Tom Johnson. Even Tyrunn Walker had experience in the 3-4 before Tulsa switched to the 4-3 defense his senior year. Not only do we have bonified starters but we have good depth as well.

We could use one more backup NT is about all I see along the d-line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom