New Orleans Saints have difficult decision to make at kicker Nola.com (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
One of the toughest decisions the New Orleans Saints' front office has to make before the 53-man roster deadline Saturday afternoon is which kicker to keep with the team.

Even after four preseason games, it's still unclear whether Kai Forbath or Connor Barth performed better this summer, in part because both players had limited opportunities in the exhibitions.

Forbath, the Saints' kicker for 10 games in 2015, was 3-for-4 on field goals, missing a 50-yarder in the preseason opener in New England. Barth was 2-for-2, but he didn't have a chance to make a 50-yarder as his longest attempt was from 40.
New Orleans Saints have difficult decision to make at kicker | NOLA.com

Coin flip or rock, paper, scissors?

Chris

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Someone mentioned we should go with the younger guy for longevity. Honestly, I doubt we keep either guy longer than a year or two so I don't think that matters. I say coin flip.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Someone mentioned we should go with the younger guy for longevity. Honestly, I doubt we keep either guy longer than a year or two so I don't think that matters. I say coin flip.
They are 28 and 30. Pretty young for a kicker.

No reason not to try to make one of them a long term solution if they kick well.

If we want to do something different, go with Barth I guess.

Optimistic Ozzy

Bleeder of Black and Gold
Reaction score
I saw what I needed to see from Forbath last year and it seemed as though Barth never missed against when he was with Tampa. Barth is pretty much money 30-45 and that's what I want to go with.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Really disappointed that we didn't get a better look at these two kickers in game situations.

It started in New England when we decided to be like the Patriots and go for two every time instead of giving these two kickers FG opportunities. Yeah, they're just extra points, but what if we would have learned that one of these guys were inconsistent in that area?

Then there were a few times where we went for it on 4th down.

Just seemed like odd behavior for a team that's legitimately trying to figure out which kicker to keep. Yeah, yeah...they see these guys at practice every day, I know; but game time situations are where jobs are won and lost.

Still mad that we let Dustin Hopkins go. :jpshakehead:

eballa1

Jedi Knight
Reaction score
I like Barth better, but I could see us going in an entirely different direction with someone else. Payton has no patience with kickers. Remember when he cut both of our kickers a couple years ago at the end of preseason? I could see that happening again.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Even on kickoffs it's close.

Forbath has a TB while Barth has none. Barth's return average is 1 yards worse. Their kickoff averages are both 64 yards per kickoff.

No real way to choose based on preseason stats.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think, because the competition was so even, the way you break the tie is to go by their career history, and IMO, Barth has Forbath beat VERY SLIGHTLY. Barth also has never missed indoors I believe.

The only thing Forbath has on Barth is familiarity. The shank in New England still stands out for me as does his awful finish to last year. A professional kicker should not have kicks like that one a few weeks ago.

WilliamBrees

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Pick your poison, do you want to miss XPs or FGs? Considering we will be kicking more FGs, it may be best to go with Forbath.

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If it is really that close here is what you do. Bring them into the facility. Start with extra point and they have a kick-off to kickoff. You want the guy who can handle pressure? How about the pressure of having an NFL job or not based on this kick.

If they have been soo close through camp see who handles pressure the best

St.Dan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Last night left my mind a tie as well. Barth's FG looked strong and so did Forbath's. The hope is that the one we keep doesn't go into the tank the moment the season starts. We could have just kept Hartley instead of go through all this foolishness the past few seasons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints at Raiders: Michael Thomas officially inactive, 3 rookies to debut for New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
FOX Sports New Orleans to re-air 2020 Saints games starting Week 2 vs. Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints 9/19/20 Injury Report (Michael Thomas officially ruled out) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Mike Tilleman, member of first New Orleans Saints team, dead at age 76 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Edge: Assessing how New Orleans Saints, Las Vegas Raiders stack up for Week 2 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Thursday Injury Report: 2020 Week 2 at Las Vegas Raiders... Five New Orleans players listed in Thursday's report SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints prepared to forge ahead if Michael Thomas cannot play SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints legend Marques Colston announced as 2021 Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame inductee SR News Page Articles 0
Five questions before Week 2: New Orleans Saints at Las Vegas Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints rookie roundup: Week 1, Roach shines, Trautman plays Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints-Bucs sets 4-year ratings high on Fox; here's how it broke down in New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Focus on New Orleans: Why Raiders should be worried about how Saints won opener SR News Page Articles 0
New Orleans Saints: Important quotes from Week 1 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
3 Takeaways from the New Orleans Saints vs Tampa Bay Bucs game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Demario Davis almost retired in 2016. Now he's on his 2nd contract in New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints give Tom Brady a rough welcome to the NFC South, beat Buccaneers 34-23. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Tom Brady stifled by New Orleans Saints, dealt loss in Tampa Bay Buccaneers debut SR News Page Articles 0
Saints vs. Bucs: Tampa's Mike Evans active, New Orleans' P.J. Williams inactive, see both lists of inactives Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'Put me anywhere:' Position flexibility in Saints' secondary makes New Orleans 'dangerous' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Alvin Kamara, New Orleans Saints reach 5-year contract extension Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints Swing Vote Series Bobblehead Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette #SayHerName initiative will be season-long campaign for New Orleans Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Jrue and Lauren Holiday honored by Greater New Orleans Foundation for philanthropic efforts Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Joel Meyers on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - September 17, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
kansast Game with New Orleans Radio broadcast Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Buccaneers elevate two for Sunday’s game at New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Making sense of pandemic football policies in New Orleans while applying common sense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette New Orleans' Drew Brees, Tampa Bay's Tom Brady provide historic backdrop to regular-season opener SR News Page Articles 0
ndcc Saints Why do some here go to EXTREMES after a Saints’ loss? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 23
Saints @ Raiders: Five Numbers That Do Not Lie Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Podcast: Raiders defeat the Saints 34-24 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
1 Up and 3 Downs from the Saints MNF loss to the Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus For the Packers, the Saints are like looking in the mirror SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints stayed late in Las Vegas as team held review of loss to Raiders SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Defense vs. Packers Offense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints normally dynamic offense looking sluggish in 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
WATCH: CSC’s week in review breaks down Saints’ surprising loss against the Las Vegas Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 23: More analysis of the Saints/Raiders game as Green Bay looms in the distance Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints stayed late in Las Vegas as team held review of loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints Saints vs GreenBay what are the keys to victory? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
Whenever the Saints lose a Primetime Game.. They win the next Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Is the Saints Super Bowl window closed? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Saintsphere Saints-Raiders draw significant ratings increase for MNF Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
Second look: Where did the Saints come up short in Monday night loss to Raiders? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints snap counts analysis, Week 2: Rookies didn't see much action vs. Raiders SR News Page Articles 0
Saints, Sean Payton reportedly fined $350K total for failure to wear face coverings on sideline Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' snap counts: A look at the wide receivers, general defensive snaps against Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints What i learned from the Saints loss Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
saintsfan777 Just passed the Saints team busses Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
Andrus So maybe a healthy Michael Thomas is kind of important for the Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0