New Orleans Saints legend Jahri Evans named semifinalist for Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2023 (1 Viewer)

Check out Pro Football Reference's Hall of Fame Monitor for the offensive guard position (below). All of the top 15 guards by this measure are in the Hall of Fame except for two of the 2010s All-Decade guards, Jahri Evans (#9) and Marshall Yanda (#14).

More info on the Hall of Fame Monitor's inputs:

Reading up on Jahri Evans prompted me to go read up on Carl Nicks. I always kind of think of Evans and Nicks as a pair, and have this memory that both guys played together in the Black & Gold forever.

In actuality, Nicks was only here during his rookie contract (four years). Afterwards in Tamps, Nicks played only 9 more NFL games after getting caught up in the Buccaneers' 2013 MRSA outbreak. He had been on a HoF trajectory in New Orleans -- that outbreak took years off of his career.

He deserves to be in, but I'm biased.

Here's the full list of semifinalists.

Complete list of semifinalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2023:
  • Eric Allen, cornerback
  • Jared Allen, defensive end
  • Willie Anderson, offensive tackle
  • Ronde Barber, cornerback
  • Anquan Boldin, wide receiver
  • Henry Ellard, wide receiver
  • Jahri Evans, offensive guard
  • London Fletcher, linebacker
  • Dwight Freeney, defensive end
  • James Harrison, linebacker
  • Rodney Harrison, safety
  • Devin Hester, kick returner/wide receiver
  • Torry Holt, wide receiver
  • Andre Johnson, wide receiver
  • Albert Lewis, cornerback
  • Robert Mathis, defensive end/linebacker
  • Darrelle Revis, cornerback
  • Steve Smith Sr., wide receiver
  • Fred Taylor, running back
  • Joe Thomas, offensive tackle
  • Zach Thomas, linebacker
  • Hines Ward, wide receiver
  • DeMarcus Ware, linebacker/defensive end
  • Ricky Watters, running back
  • Reggie Wayne, wide receiver
  • Vince Wilfork, defensive tackle
  • Patrick Willis, linebacker
  • Darren Woodson, safety

Wow. That is a crazy list
Yeah, I was just reading it out for my husband. He's counting them up and halfway through says, Anymore big names? I read ahead silently and said, Just wait, hold on to your hat. It felt like big name after big name after big name ... after big name. That is a tough, tough, tough class. A lot of guys deserving first ballot HOF aren't gonna make it.

There’s a few players on that list that shouldn’t get in but since the HoF is a participation trophy now a days I wouldn’t be surprised if they all end up making it one day

Was Eric Allen that good? I mean, he was the first Saints jersey I owned but that was more because of finding it in the store when I was like 15 or so and needing to buy the first piece of saints apparel that I could(way before the internet and the Saints were not popular up here in NJ).

Also, tough group but the WRs almost cancel each other out as no way more than 2 (imo 1) goes in with such a strong group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom