New Orleans Saints legend Jahri Evans named semifinalist for Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2023 (1 Viewer)

That 2006 Draft Class:

Reggie Bush: 10K All Purpose Yard career
Marques Colston: 711 rec 9,759 rec yds 72 TDs regular season / 58rec 788 rec yds 4TDs playoff career
Jahri Evans: HOF Semifinalist / 193 reg season and playoff starts
Roman Harper: 11-yr career 811 tackles
Rob Ninkovich: 10-yr career with 460 tackles/46 sacks

Was Eric Allen that good? I mean, he was the first Saints jersey I owned but that was more because of finding it in the store when I was like 15 or so and needing to buy the first piece of saints apparel that I could(way before the internet and the Saints were not popular up here in NJ).
Yeah he definitely was. He looked lost a bit when he signed here but he was $ previous to that. He deserves the HOF for sure.

He deserves to be in, but I'm biased.

Here's the full list of semifinalists.

Complete list of semifinalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2023:
  • Eric Allen, cornerback
  • Jared Allen, defensive end
  • Willie Anderson, offensive tackle
  • Ronde Barber, cornerback
  • Anquan Boldin, wide receiver
  • Henry Ellard, wide receiver
  • Jahri Evans, offensive guard
  • London Fletcher, linebacker
  • Dwight Freeney, defensive end
  • James Harrison, linebacker
  • Rodney Harrison, safety
  • Devin Hester, kick returner/wide receiver
  • Torry Holt, wide receiver
  • Andre Johnson, wide receiver
  • Albert Lewis, cornerback
  • Robert Mathis, defensive end/linebacker
  • Darrelle Revis, cornerback
  • Steve Smith Sr., wide receiver
  • Fred Taylor, running back
  • Joe Thomas, offensive tackle
  • Zach Thomas, linebacker
  • Hines Ward, wide receiver
  • DeMarcus Ware, linebacker/defensive end
  • Ricky Watters, running back
  • Reggie Wayne, wide receiver
  • Vince Wilfork, defensive tackle
  • Patrick Willis, linebacker
  • Darren Woodson, safety
Damn! All of those guys (ok, most) deserve to be in. I think it's really going to be hard for WRs though. Of all the names on that list the one player who was the best ever at what he did was Devin Hester.

[Evans] deserves to be in, but I'm biased.
I think you're right on. Out of that entire list of semifinalists, the only ones that stand out as being more locks than Evans are Revis and Joe Thomas.

Going back to the Hall of Fame Monitor website and looking at these guys one by one by position, most of that list looks like the Hall of Very Good than the Hall of Fame. Some guys will probably get in as Old Timers Committee picks down the road, but otherwise plenty of those guys will be just short.

I have bolded the five that I predict will get in.

• Eric Allen, cornerback (1x All Pro, 6x Pro Bowl, excellent, but not quite there)
  • Jared Allen, defensive end (4x AP, 5x PB. Borderline, but with all the All Pros and being 16th in career sacks, probably gets in before long)
  • Willie Anderson, offensive tackle (3x AP, 4x PB. Only two HOF tackles are below him, and one - Jackie Slater - had to play 20 seasons to get in)
  • Ronde Barber, cornerback (didn't think he was 3x AP, but he was. Barber is in a tight group with Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman that will all make it before long. There was a little backlash against him getting passed over last year, which might get him over the top this year)
  • Anquan Boldin, wide receiver (the logjam at WR hurts him a lot, plus no All Pro nods)
  • Henry Ellard, wide receiver (WR logjam. Does have 2 APs, but the competition at WR is very stiff. Been passed over 18 times)
  • Jahri Evans, offensive guard (4 APs, should moonwalk in this year. HOF monitor score puts him ahead of 8 guards already in the Hall)
  • London Fletcher, linebacker (very similar career to Sam Mills, who took 20 years to get voted in. Also, no All Pros)
  • Dwight Freeney, defensive end (3 APs, 7 PBs, 26th all-time in sacks. Should get in soon, but probably not first-ballot)
  • James Harrison, linebacker (2 AP, 5 PB. Right on the edge. His HOF monitor score puts him between HOFer Rickey Jackson and HOVG Pat Swilling)
  • Rodney Harrison, safety (2 APs, but not particularly close otherwise)
  • Devin Hester, kick returner/wide receiver (Huge accolades for a special teamer, but he'll have to wait like Ray Guy and Morten Andersen did. Probably less than 50% to ever get in)
  • Torry Holt, wide receiver (only one All Pro, yet his HOF Monitor is fairly high. Voters have still found it easy to pass on him every year)
  • Andre Johnson, wide receiver (a slightly better career than HOFer Michael Irvin -- but Irvin has three rings. Here's where playing for a bad team hurts)
  • Albert Lewis, cornerback (I remember him as an 80s star with the Chiefs ... didn't realize he retired in 1998! Close, but doubtful after being passed on 19 times. Might be an Old Timer selection eventually).
  • Robert Mathis, defensive end/linebacker (better career sack numbers than I had thought, but otherwise not close)
  • Darrelle Revis, cornerback (like Evans, 4x AP and an All-Decade selection. Walks right in)
  • Steve Smith Sr., wide receiver (right on that cusp, but again ... the logjam. Think he'll have to wait a while)
  • Fred Taylor, running back (No APs. Talented player with a very high but very short peak. Unlikely)
  • Joe Thomas, offensive tackle (6 APs, 5th highest all-time HOF Monitor score. Waltzes in this year)
  • Zach Thomas, linebacker (Unsure what's keeping him out. 5x AP, All-Decade team, 5th highest all-time HOF Monitor score among ILBs. Can't be much longer for him, even having been passed on 9 times)
  • Hines Ward, wide receiver (Logjam. No All Pros. Never close to being the best WR in the league at any point of his career. Hall of Very Good)
  • DeMarcus Ware, linebacker/defensive end (Right around that Derrick Thomas-Kevin Greene tier, and both those guys are in. 4x AP, 13th all-time in sacks, should get in very soon. Probably slightly more deserving than Barber, but I think voters are OK with Ware waiting a year or two)
  • Ricky Watters, running back (No All Pros, not close)
  • Reggie Wayne, wide receiver (Should make it at some point. Only one All Pro hurts, but his HOF monitor score is 11th all-time. That WR logjam is no joke, though -- I think the HOF voters kind of punt WRs every year hoping something new pops up out of nowhere to make a given WR stand out against their peers. Eventually, the tough choices will have to be made.)
  • Vince Wilfork, defensive tackle (1 AP, very good career, but behind other excellent DTs that will likely never get in like LaRoi Glover and Steve McMichael)
  • Patrick Willis, linebacker (5 APs, All-Decade Team in seven seasons. Not sure what's keeping him out other than a short career. Been passed on a few times already, but the buzz on him is building)
  • Darren Woodson, safety (3 APs and 3 titles. Still with a not-quite-there HOF monitor score, though. I wonder if voters feel like enough 90s Cowboys are in? Perfect candidate for an Old Timers nomination down the road)

Last edited:
I think you're right on. Out of that entire list of semifinalists, the only ones that stand out as being more locks than Evans are Revis and Joe Thomas.

Going back to the Hall of Fame Monitor website and looking at these guys one by one by position, most of that list looks like the Hall or Very Good than the Hall of Fame. Some guys will probably get in as Old Timers Committee picks down the road, but otherwise plenty of those guys will be just short.

• Eric Allen, cornerback (1x All Pro, 6x Pro Bowl, excellent, but not quite there)
  • Jared Allen, defensive end (4x AP, 5x PB. Borderline, but with all the All Pros and being 16th in career sacks, probably gets in before long)
  • Willie Anderson, offensive tackle (3x AP, 4x PB. Only two HOF tackles are below him, and one - Jackie Slater - had to play 20 seasons to get in)
  • Ronde Barber, cornerback (didn't think he was 3x AP, but he was. Barber is in a tight group with Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman that will all make it before long. There was a little backlash against him getting passed over last year, which might get him over the top this year)
  • Anquan Boldin, wide receiver (the logjam at WR hurts him a lot, plus no All Pro nods)
  • Henry Ellard, wide receiver (WR logjam. Does have 2 APs, but the competition at WR is very stiff. Been passed over 18 times)
  • Jahri Evans, offensive guard (4 APs, should moonwalk in this year. HOF monitor score puts him ahead of 8 guards already in the Hall)
  • London Fletcher, linebacker (very similar career to Sam Mills, who took 20 years to get voted in. Also, no All Pros)
  • Dwight Freeney, defensive end (3 APs, 7 PBs, 26th all-time in sacks. Should get in soon, but probably not first-ballot)
  • James Harrison, linebacker (2 AP, 5 PB. Right on the edge. His HOF monitor score puts him between HOFer Rickey Jackson and HOVG Pat Swilling)
  • Devin Hester, kick returner/wide receiver (Huge accolades for a special teamer, but he'll have to wait like Ray Guy and Morten Andersen did. Probably less than 50% to ever get in)
  • Torry Holt, wide receiver (only one All Pro, yet his HOF Monitor is fairly high. Voters have still found it easy to pass on him every year)
  • Andre Johnson, wide receiver (a slightly better career than HOFer Michael Irvin -- but Irvin has three rings. Here's where playing for a bad team hurts)
  • Albert Lewis, cornerback (I remember him as an 80s star with the Chiefs ... didn't realize he retired in 1998! Close, but doubtful after being passed on 19 times. Might be an Old Timer selection eventually).
  • Robert Mathis, defensive end/linebacker (better career sack numbers than I had thought, but otherwise not close)
  • Darrelle Revis, cornerback (like Evans, 4x AP and an All-Decade selection. Walks right in)
  • Steve Smith Sr., wide receiver (right on that cusp, but again ... the logjam. Think he'll have to wait a while)
  • Fred Taylor, running back (No APs. Talented player with a very high but very short peak. Unlikely)
  • Joe Thomas, offensive tackle (6 APs, 5th highest all-time HOF Monitor score. Waltzes in this year)
  • Zach Thomas, linebacker (Unsure what's keeping him out. 5x AP, All-Decade team, 5th highest all-time HOF Monitor score among ILBs. Can't be much longer for him, even having been passed on 9 times)
  • Hines Ward, wide receiver (Logjam. No All Pros. Never close to being the best WR in the league at any point of his career. Hall of Very Good)
  • DeMarcus Ware, linebacker/defensive end (Right around that Derrick Thomas-Kevin Greene tier, and both those guys are in. 4x AP, 13th all-time in sacks, should get in very soon. Probably slightly more deserving than Barber, but I think voters are OK with Ware waiting a year or two)
  • Reggie Wayne, wide receiver (Should make it at some point. Only one All Pro hurts, but his HOF monitor score is 11th all-time. That WR logjam is no joke, though -- I think the HOF voters kind of punt WRs every year hoping something new pops up out of nowhere to make a given WR stand out against their peers. Eventually, the tough choices will have to be made.)
  • Vince Wilfork, defensive tackle (1 AP, very good career, but behind other excellent DTs that will likely never get in like LaRoi Glover and Steve McMichael)
  • Patrick Willis, linebacker (5 APs, All-Decade Team in seven seasons. Not sure what's keeping him out other than a short career. Been passed on a few times already, but the buzz on him is building)
  • Darren Woodson, safety (3 APs and 3 titles. Still with a not-quite-there HOF monitor score, though. I wonder if voters feel like enough 90s Cowboys are in? Perfect candidate for an Old Timers nomination down the road)
Great takes. Whodat

I think that Rodney Harrison is an eventual member of the Hall. That guy seemed to have come out of nowhere back in the day and improved his game till he was at the top. He came from that era when Safety’s could really dominate across the middle. He had a ton of sacks to go with his ints….I think and hope that he makes it. It’s deserved.

Last edited:
...In actuality, Nicks was only here during his rookie contract (four years). Afterwards in Tamps, Nicks played only 9 more NFL games after getting caught up in the Buccaneers' 2013 MRSA outbreak. He had been on a HoF trajectory in New Orleans -- that outbreak took years off of his career.
You know that Carl Nicks was the second player that was drafted by the Saints to have gotten a staph infection from another team after leaving the Saints. Other was LeCharles Bentley.

You know that Carl Nicks was the second player that was drafted by the Saints to have gotten a staph infection from another team after leaving the Saints. Other was LeCharles Bentley.
I forgot about Bentley going to the Browns. Yeah, he never got on the field again after leaving the Saints.

Going back to the Hall of Fame Monitor website and looking at these guys one by one by position, most of that list looks like the Hall of Very Good than the Hall of Fame. Some guys will probably get in as Old Timers Committee picks down the road, but otherwise plenty of those guys will be just short.

I didn't realized this either. Jahri Evans isn't the only former Saints player that's a semifinalist for the Hall of Fame. Eric Allen is a former player as well.

I forgot about Bentley going to the Browns. Yeah, he never got on the field again after leaving the Saints.
Oh yeah, he and the saints had a falling out too. He said that "he would rather sit out the season than play with them again" referring to the Saints. Don't know what cause that, though.

Great list. I think that Hester gets in. He’ll be the first and only returner to ever make the HOF. I like Reggie Wayne…but he definitely benefited from Manning. No chance that I’d vote him in over Smith or Johnson. I’d have him in the next tier with Holt and Ellard. Hines Ward was a nice player…but I don’t think he’s that close

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom