New Orleans Saints' Mock Draft & UDFA Targets (1 Viewer)

Shakflinz

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not really the biggest advocate for mock drafts, but here are some players, some obvious and some not so obvious, that I likely see our front office considering. I put a bit of effort into this post, so I'd definitely love to see some discussion and input. Of course, I made sure to include pictures and videos to make up for any typos you may find. :mwink:

First Round
Jarvis Jones OLB
hi-res-152597654_display_image.jpg
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MJsBr8HqsEA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm sure you all have already done your research on this guy. I'll just say that this kid can just flat out play ball. He's got the physicality, intelligence, and mindset to excel in our defense. If he checks out medically with our staff then I see him walking to the podium for the 15th pick.

I think our next best option after Jones would be Barkevious Mingo or Ziggy Ansah (if available).

Note: IF Dion Jordan is available, you absolutely draft him at this spot. Not only would he be BPA, he is, in my opinion, the SAFEST player to draft that fits our needs. Unfortunately, I see him going to a team like the Jags or Browns somewhere in the top 10, which is why I didn't include him as our pick.

There's so much focus on who we're going to pick in the first round, but with guys like Jones, Jordan, Mingo, Ansah, and possibly even Moore being available for our first pick, we can't really make a bad decision. I'm more concerned with what direction we're going with our remaining picks. We may even trade down depending on how many of those guys are still available.
Third Round
Margus Hunt DE
margus-hunt-300x210.jpg
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/72SLCNaHJco?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I see us getting a great value pick in the 3rd round with Margus Hunt. A lot of analyst and scouts see him going higher, especially after such a phenomenal combine, but the fact is he is still pretty raw and will be 26 years old by the time he's entering training camp. I just don't see someone taking a leap of faith on Hunt like we've seen with other players in previous drafts. With that said, he has the potential to be a very disruptive player on our line, and give us the solid depth we need at the DE position. Cam Jordan is our only sure thing at DE at the moment, we'll have to see where Akiem Hicks is put in the line up, and how the Will Smith situation pans out.

Phillip Thomas S
73206_10151545053895744_2013624128_n.jpg
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u7R24OSpXVI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Decently solid combine won't improve his stock although I believe he is a very underrated player and excellent special teams candidate. Superb physicals skills and competitiveness. Would be a solid pick with all the question marks surrounding our DBs.
Fourth Round
Jordan Mills OT
hi-res-160118066_display_image.jpg
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ePixPUqXmVI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This guy is a monster and has an enormous motor. Versatile player with a skill set that will allow him to compete at both tackle and guard positions, therefore increasing his chances of making the final roster and contributing next season.

Kwame Geathers DT
130110122735-kwame-geathers-p1-single-image-cut.jpg
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/15Fnw2w1oPk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Another monster that really looks the part of a 3-4 NT. Has massive upside with the strength that he possesses, and with quality coaching refinement of his technique he could become a needed contributor and collapsing the pocket within his first few seasons.

Fifth Round
I can see us going a different number of ways in the fifth, and I can't decide between either of these guys, would definitely love your opinions here.

Terry Hawthorne CB
image.JPG
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SK49Vc0wQ_o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Great size, speed, ball skills, physicality, and quickness. Has the potential to be a turnover machine. A humble guy who could be one of those wild card players that end up getting selected a lot earlier than projected, but hopefully he falls to us.

Quanterus Smith DE
images
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jDy9Y20FWLM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Another under the radar player. Tore his ACL last year, but until then he was very productive for WKU and was leading the nation in sacks. I watch a lot of Sun Belt games, and this guy is the real deal with huge explosion at the first step. Has gone on record saying that he would be most comfortable in a 3-4 role playing OLB. Not likely to play in 2013, but could end up being the steal of this years draft when it's all said and done.

Sixth Round
Kyle Juszcyk FB
FBL_1213_Juszczyk_Kyle_Yale_Sideline.jpg
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uS54FxLGpkk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Versatile player who also played a bit of TE at Harvard. A good receiver who led his team with catches and also great at pass protection. I choose him because I feel he is one of the safer picks in these later rounds, he can definitely compete for a spot on our roster and at the very least be a solid practice squad pick up if he doesn't get claimed by another team. Low risk and high reward.

Seventh Round (If we haven't lost it to Seattle for the Rudd trade.)
Elvis Fisher OT
vandy-fisher1.0_standard_352.0.jpg
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tdOVGQqvXkU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Injury prone, but has had many flashes of excellence throughout his games. Graded best linemen by Missouri's staff on nearly all of his games, and has shut down some of the better collegiate DE's. Has the talent to be a 1st day selection, but his knees are a big question. If all checks out I see him as valuable depth with starter potential.

UDFA Targets

QB Ryan Aplin - Performed really well for Arkansas State throughout his collegiate career. Amassed 3,345 yards 68% completion percentage, and 24 TD's to his 4 ints in his senior year, strong numbers for the team played for. One of the few prospects I couldn't come up with any knocks on other than needing development at the pro level. If this kid gets a shot, I see no reason why he can't stick on a team's roster as he has all the attributes needed for a quality back up and development QB.

Tremayne Scott DE- Great athlete with size, exceptional quickness, and power. Was injured last season, but had the potential to be a 1st - 2nd day draft pick before his injury.

Perry Jones RB - Versatile. Not the greatest size, but runs way harder than his size with impeccable balance. The kid can run, catch, and contribute in special teams. I see him giving Cadet some real competition.
<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HQ-D-P8Cs6M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brandon Thurmond DE - Doesn't have the greatest size or speed, but still produces on the field with his technique. Was very promising in East - West Shrine game practices and amassed over 15 sacks, 50 tackles, 22 for a loss, and several QB hurries in his collegiate career.
<iframe width="280" height="210" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5LfYlb6VVdw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike Catapano DE - Had a monster season with 12 sacks, 15.5 TFL, 3 FF , and 5 passes batted down in only 10 games. Good speed and size. His coach has compared him to Justin Smith whom he's also coached. One of those guys who's on a completely different level than his competition and is a intriguing prospect.
<iframe width="280" height="210" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2GcdKCG5F8Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zach Brown K - Big leg, accurate, and successful at Portland State. Odds of him beating our Hartley are slim, but the competition is needed. Also can back up at punter and can pull off a fake if needed.

Brett Baer K- Same as above, and clutch. Has also had some huge kicks in our very own Superdome.

S Cooper Taylor - Also shined during East - West. Great range, athleticism, and very intelligent. A guy who can be and is willing to be coached up to his potential.

DeVonte Christopher WR - Definitely looks the part at 6-1 200lbs, long arms and good strength. Suitable for Drew Brees' passing strengths, such as keeping feet in abounds and coming back to the QB after broken plays and can also create separation. Can also contribute to the running game. Great after the catch and amassed over 1600 yards and 100 catches over 3 years at Utah. Can also contribute at special teams.

<iframe width="280" height="158" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yC-e7Gpxkxg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CB Johnny Towalid- Underrated CB and a play maker at the collegiate level forcing fumbles and recording an impressive 7 interceptions in 15 games, 4 of those for TDs. You could consider him a poor man's Tyrann Mathieu aside from the underrated part.

OT Ryan Schraeder - Played exceptional for Valdosta State, very curious to see how he pans out against higher competition.

Disclaimer : Obviously, I am not at all claiming to know who all our FO are scouting. I've just compiled this list from my understanding and view of our draft trends of the players we typically target at the collegiate level. Just looking for some discussion on these players and any other players who some may consider a better fit.

Real nice work putting that together. Thanks for leaving out the pie-in-the-sky predicitions.

your first round discussion is right-on.....saints will probably pick one of the four........margus will not be around in third round......probably select a db or nt in third......after that - who knows?

your first round discussion is right-on.....saints will probably pick one of the four........margus will not be around in third round......probably select a db or nt in third......after that - who knows?

Before the combine, Hunt was a late third - fourth at best. He doesn't have the greatest technique or finesse, and is closer to 30 than 20 years old.
I could see him going in the late second round at the highest, but I still have my doubts a team will take a chance on him with such a valuable pick so early when there would be plenty of other quality players available.

Unfortunately, I don't see any quality NT being available in the third that we couldn't get in the fourth.

As far as DB, who else do you have in mind? Jordan Poyer is a guy who comes to mind.

Not to mention, if we let Bushrod walk then things completely change.

I'm also prepared for our Third Round becoming a BPA choice if our FO can't find the right guy to fill a need.

I do not trust our medical staff to make the decision at all. Jones could walk with a hunchback looking like Quasimodo and our staff would say he's okay and good to play.

I would love to see Joe Vellano on our team. I Think he would be a great rotational player and locker room guy. I dont think he gets drafted,,,92 tackles last season at DT, thats nuts. # 1 priority UDFA

Joe Vellano Maryland Football - YouTube

You're right, think he's got great pursuit and a high motor. Would probably have to kick him over to DE or give him the opportunity to compete at OLB in a 3-4, though I think he would best fit and has the greatest chance to make a team in a 4-3, but would be a solid pick up in UDFA if he makes it.

Man switch out Hawthorne for Smith (in the 5th) and I'd be able to live with that - I'm a HUGE fan of Quanterus Smith, no pass rusher in this draft has his hands. Not sure Hunt is there in the 3rd or if Mills or Geathers is there in the 4th. If they were, we'd have to pounce on them. Good work.

Man switch out Hawthorne for Smith (in the 5th) and I'd be able to live with that - I'm a HUGE fan of Quanterus Smith, no pass rusher in this draft has his hands. Not sure Hunt is there in the 3rd or if Mills or Geathers is there in the 4th. If they were, we'd have to pounce on them. Good work.

Are you saying switch out Hawthorne for CB Branden Smith or are you talking about Quanterus?

Are you saying switch out Hawthorne for CB Branden Smith or are you talking about Quanterus?
I was just saying I'd rather have Quanterus Smith than Hawthorne in the 5th. I'm a huge fan of his and he'd be arguably the best pass rusher in the draft if he didn't get hurt.

I was just saying I'd rather have Quanterus Smith than Hawthorne in the 5th. I'm a huge fan of his and he'd be arguably the best pass rusher in the draft if he didn't get hurt.

Agreed, he's still got a few months of rehab so there's pretty much no chance he'll be working out for anyone before the draft. It's horrible such a promising guy got injured, but some team will be getting some serious value when they draft him. Would absolutely love to see him in black and gold.

Good draft and good research on the UDFA prospects. :9:

Agreed, he's still got a few months of rehab so there's pretty much no chance he'll be working out for anyone before the draft. It's horrible such a promising guy got injured, but some team will be getting some serious value when they draft him. Would absolutely love to see him in black and gold.
Totally agree bro. As I said before, his hands are AMAZING. Best in the draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom