New Orleans Saints: The Case for Reuben Foster (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
draft.gif

There are opinions aplenty on who the Saints should choose with the 11th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. This article makes the case that, if available, Reuben Foster is their only real choice.

By Roy Anderson -- WhoDat Dish

The NFL Draft is a guessing game and a gamble. For every Peyton Manning, there’s a Ryan Leaf. If you’re a Saints fan, for every Eddie George, there’s an Alex Molden.

Alabama’s middle linebacker Reuben Foster is one of the most certain perennial all-stars to hit the draft in some time. He can bring to the Saints the kind of defining play Luke Kuechly brings to the Carolina Panthers. He’s legit.

This reporter has logged a lot of hours recently going over film of the various players mentioned as likely first round candidates for the Saints. That includes Derek Barnett, Solomon Thomas, Teez Tabor, Quincy Wilson, Marshon Lattimore, Takkarist McKinley, and Taco Charlton.

Reuben Foster’s name pops up as much as any other but it’s been seen as unlikely that he’ll fall to pick 11.

Full Article -- WhoDat Dish

I have never seen a LB consistenly hit people as hard as Foster does. When you go look at all of the greats and him it's not even a close comparison. Now this doesn't say he's going to be great but he no doubt has an elite trait. IMO our defense needs a Foster and could go a long way in transforming our front 7.

Don't gotta tell me twice. Only player I want as much as him is Marshon Lattimore.

Lattimore and Hooker are my other 2 favorites. I think there is a good chance one of these 3 players falls to us. All 3 have all pro ability and would fill immediate holes on our roster. Lattimore is a prototype CB and has star potential. Would be hard to pass on him and if we don't get a CB in FA drafting him is a no brainer. Hooker looks like the next Ed Reed and IMO is the safest pick in this draft. Foster can change our identity and start making us a feared group. Don't know who I would pick if all 3 of them were available and just say we didn't address their positions in FA. Would be a very tough choice for me to make.

We need Malik Hooker & fellow teammate M. Lattimore...loving the Ohio State talent pool. What the Saints are able to do with said talent is the real question and super intriguing.

Ohio state seems to have the most pro ready guys ever. DE in FA & do whatever it takes to draft these special secondary guys. We truly need cover ballhawking type guys on defense who will cause turnovers! Hooker & Lattimore are ready as ever. Sick of being dead last in turnovers with under 5 team interceptions every year(seemingly so)

Is anybody worried about Foster's shoulder? For a linebacker that thing could be recurring if its bad enough.

I'm more worried about potential concussions. He's already been in protocol after the Arkansas game. He has a bad habit of leading
with his helmet. The best college football coach in Saban couldn't break this habit. He needs to do it if he wants an extended NFL career.

I think trading up is the only way the Saints can get Foster. Unless there is a perfect trade-up situation, he will cost too much. (yea, I would give up 1 and only 1 draft choice to get him, no higher than a 3rd).

I watch football, I'm not a scout. I do not find foster special. I think he was a good college player. If saints choose him I hope he is special. During national championship game he didn't look like best linebacker in the game and less like the best defensive player on the field.

I watch football, I'm not a scout. I do not find foster special. I think he was a good college player. If saints choose him I hope he is special. During national championship game he didn't look like best linebacker in the game and less like the best defensive player on the field.

That was before it was announced that Foster has undergone surgery to repair a damaged rotator cuff He will miss up to four months with the injury. He’ll be ready for training camp but will miss the combine and Alabama’s pro day.

Is this injury enough to make him fall to the Saints? A team would be crazy to pass on him in the first ten picks but Who Dat Nation should hope they do.

I'd assume that playing with a torn rotator cuff throughout the end of the season might have had a little to do with that.

I'll take a guy who can play through that kind of injury for the betterment of his team and still perform admirably in doing so in black and gold anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom