New Orleans skyline (1 Viewer)

The one to the left of the Hibernia building is 225 Baronne, which has been empty since Katrina. I just looked it up and it says it was finished in 1965, so maybe these pics are a couple of years later than originally thought.

As for the angle of the second pic, I would guess the building that is now the Tivoli Place apartments. The K&B building is on the other side of St. Charles.

This. the building to the right of the pic is the old Hotel Le Cirque.

those are great pics.

This. the building to the right of the pic is the old Hotel Le Cirque.

those are great pics.

You know what is was back then, it wasn't a hotel at all......?

It was the Lee Circle YMCA.....

Ten years too early, plus other buildings like the Hibernia Building would be visible. No idea what that building is though. Too early to be several other buildings as well. What is it?

The building in the foreground is now the Contemporary Arts Center. Could be the WTC.

That's the World Trade Center....was the tallest building in the city at that time....

Found some old pics my Dad took in about 61-62.
New%20Orleans%20skyline-XL.jpg

Family%20pics_0093-L.jpg

Can't for the life of me figure out what building that is in the top picture. It appears to be rounded on one side. It's hard to count, but appears to be 27-30 floors.

That tall rectangular building in the bottom pic is still standing today -- it's some nondescript downtown building now dwarfed by modern high-rises. I think it's empty today.

EDIT: Not empty, just ugly. It's at Baronne and Gravier, next to the New Orleans Exchange building and across Baronne from Gravier Place apartments.

Attachments

• Downtown grab.JPG
    Downtown grab.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 5
Can't for the life of me figure out what building that is in the top picture. It appears to be rounded on one side. It's hard to count, but appears to be 27-30 floors.

The building in the foreground is now the Contemporary Arts Center. Could be the WTC.

Ah, that is it. At first I thought the shot was from a completely different place and that was two buildings but that is just from the odd shape of the WTC. Looks like construction is still not complete to me but maybe that is just haze.

That's the World Trade Center....was the tallest building in the city at that time....

That tall rectangular building in the bottom pic is still standing today -- it's some nondescript downtown building now dwarfed by modern high-rises. I think it's empty today.

I was parked next to it this morning. It is dwarfed now. With the taller windows on the top floor it looks kind of like a One Shell Square mini-me.

Ah, that is it. At first I thought the shot was from a completely different place and that was two buildings but that is just from the odd shape of the WTC. Looks like construction is still not complete to me but maybe that is just haze.

Boutte, do you know where your dad was standing? Looks like he was on top of the K&B offices.

He was on top of the YMCA building. 1962 is an estimate. I wish I could give more info but now that I think about it 62 might be a couple of years early.

He was on top of the YMCA building. 1962 is an estimate. I wish I could give more info but now that I think about it 62 might be a couple of years early.

I had the YMCA building wrong in my head then. I thought from where R.E.L. is facing, that it was at between his 1 and his 2 O'clock. Super cool though time lapse. I love the fact that the cars remained in the circle long enough to leave their ghost at the light.

He wasn't on the Y building in the second pic, you can see it.....

I don't think there's any way that second picture is from 62. More like 70.

Is that the old Krauss building in the first photo?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom