New Orleans/Slidell Iphone performance on the carriers (1 Viewer)

james_k_p

The HD Candy Man!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Just wanted to get some real world, local area feedback from you and your iphones performance.

I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. I've been longing to leave them as I was/am unhappy with the coverage and how I find it works crappy within buildings.

I have noticed recently that things have gotten better. For example, last year I couldn't reliably stream my slingbox on the phone inside the bowling alley in slidell. Now it works fine and speed tests there show I'm getting a solid 1 meg or more down.

I've also noticed recently how on my sprint 3g/4g u301 cell internet card, has gone from decent performance to complete and total CRAP. The 4g (wiimax) works ok in New Orleans where it's available, but it's not in Slidell and the 3g everywhere practically doesn't work around here. It has in the past, but I guess since around the time of the 4s release, I can barely get it to work.

Of course I've read about how bad Sprint's data speed has gotten/is on iphone, but wanted to hear from some of you.

My biggest gripe through the years is when I leave for vacation, it never works decently. We go to Disney annually, and sometimes throw in a 2nd trip during the year to universal. This summer we went to destin. The AT&T data speeds in all these locations are HORRIBLE, but my little sprint card works great. After these experiences, I was anxious to jump back to sprint (who I was a long time sub of until the iphone came out), but now I'm not sure what to do. I usually have connect my iphone via wifi to the sprint card using a usb hot spot device to share it's connection to watch my slingbox, which is crazy.

I guess i'll stay with AT&T and then see what the iphone 5 has to offer as far as LTE and maybe go to Verizon who has the best coverage.

My goal is to have good coverage, with good, consistent data speeds to stream my slingbox anywhere.

Anyways, that's all of my thinking on it, so please, iphone users, mainly on sprint and verizon, give me your thoughts and recommendations.

Especially if you use the slingplayer on it. Thanks!

No responses yet? Ok, so how about you android peoples. Any of you regularly using slingplayer on sprint or verizon in area? How does it work?

I think it all depends on the available infrastructure and the demands being placed on it relative to where you are. Never had a huge issue w/ AT&T. Use wifi whenever I can.

I think it all depends on the available infrastructure and the demands being placed on it relative to where you are. Never had a huge issue w/ AT&T. Use wifi whenever I can.

Well yeah, but I just explained how AT&T has worked for me. I want the same type of general feedback of users.

I have zero issues with ATT in the greater New Orleans area, except for one spot on the Causeway that causes consistent drops.

Can't speak to Verizon. But AT&T's service isn't nearly as bad in this market as one would think by the level of rancor in the national press. That's my experience.

I have zero issues with ATT in the greater New Orleans area, except for one spot on the Causeway that causes consistent drops.

Can't speak to Verizon. But AT&T's service isn't nearly as bad in this market as one would think by the level of rancor in the national press. That's my experience.
I'm guessing you don't work near the Superdome. ;)

For some reason the coverage here can be shoddy at times.

Well yeah, but I just explained how AT&T has worked for me. I want the same type of general feedback of users.

That's essentially what I was trying to say. I've never had major issues w/ ATT but I also take advantage of wifi as much as possible to decrease any chances of "shoddy" connectivity but not because there necessarily is bad connectivity. It's mostly for reliability w/ regards to streaming/multicast apps. On a side note, a good friend of mine is a regional manager w/ ATT and was swearing up and down that there were N/W issues in the uptown area but N/W admins were saying no. She had me text her every time I had a failed call, dropped call, etc. I only texted her twice so I tend to agree with Mongoose

I'm really interested to hear from Verizon users.

I can't really complain about my AT&T at the moment either. I work in the cbd and drive past the dome daily and never have issues. Many times I'm streaming from my siriusxm app and it never drops except for one spot in the east around Michoud where I'll get a data network error.

So I'm dying to know what verizon users experience as that's where I'm leaning to go, but know no smart phone users in the area using their service.

i have a Verizon iPhone and live in Slidell. I have not really had any issues at all since I got a case. Before that I think i was having the iPhone antenna issues. I stream Netflix and TuneIn over 3G and don't have any problems. Not sure how much data Slingplayer needs, but the only streaming app I had issue with while driving was NFL Mobile (i was listening for the audio). The app was shaky with streaming even at home over Wifi, so take that FWIW. I drove to Florida a few weeks ago, and I streamed TuneIn with no issues the entire time I used it along I-10.

I don't get blazing fast speeds like AT&T, but they're consistent, and for a phone, i've never noticed any issues streaming anything.

i have a Verizon iPhone and live in Slidell. I have not really had any issues at all since I got a case. Before that I think i was having the iPhone antenna issues. I stream Netflix and TuneIn over 3G and don't have any problems. Not sure how much data Slingplayer needs, but the only streaming app I had issue with while driving was NFL Mobile (i was listening for the audio). The app was shaky with streaming even at home over Wifi, so take that FWIW. I drove to Florida a few weeks ago, and I streamed TuneIn with no issues the entire time I used it along I-10.

I don't get blazing fast speeds like AT&T, but they're consistent, and for a phone, i've never noticed any issues streaming anything.

Thanks for the info, do me a favor, can you download the free speedtest app and run it here and there and let me know what your results are?

Thanks for the info, do me a favor, can you download the free speedtest app and run it here and there and let me know what your results are?

i have had that since i got the phone because i was obsessed with speeds for the first month or so. i averaged my results in Excel just now. on average i get about 0.9 meg down, 0.65 up, and 276 ping time. i've run it over 50 times on 3G since May. the average includes tests i ran on purpose when the bars were low or when i knew speeds would be slowest. the numbers are probably split evenly between SS and NS.

I have the 4s with C Spire and they switch over to Verizon when out of their network. While in New Orleans for the Saints/Lions game the Data Service was horrible in the FQ and Super Dome. Second I got back around Slidell the service was better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom