Speculation New Orleans to make a trade offer for Derrick Carr this week??? (1 Viewer)

In the end, I think he gets cut and negotiates a contract with the team of his choice. Heck, it would not surprise me if the general structure of a contract has been tossed around with his agent.

I could see something like that. We did similar with Houston for Roby.

Personally, I’d rather keep any first or second round pick. But I wouldn’t throw the remote if a 2nd got us a significant discount.

Agree. I can see Mickey offering this year’s 3rd or the 2024 2nd we got from Den.

I’d like Carr at 25-27M. Jarod Goff has a 31M cap hit which is a good model for a Carr contract. I think Goff is a better QB as well.

Is he being released because of a lack of confidence or for cap reasons? I ask because they are already on the hook for a relatively small cap hit if they release him, so why would they want to take on a bigger cap hit if Davis is as cheap as everyone depicts him?

I don't think anybody is trying to predict what the Raiders will do, but rather addressing the possibilities.

I don't think anybody is trying to predict what the Raiders will do, but rather addressing the possibilities.
I get that, my point is that why would they eat a bigger cap hit? We would have to give them a higher draft pick for that to happen. Granted, all of this is speculation but most of us feel DA has to do this.

I get that, my point is that why would they eat a bigger cap hit? We would have to give them a higher draft pick for that to happen. Granted, all of this is speculation but most of us feel DA has to do this.
That’s exactly why. To get a pick. Like the Texans did in 2021.

No one knows for sure if that’s what will happen. But that would be the rationale.

The why is the draft pick - IF that's a scenario they are interested in - and then what could potentially happen on the financial side in terms of cap and contract structure.

I still think he'll most likely be released but I think enough about him as an upgrade at the position that I don't mind if the Saints take a shot at a trade.

That’s exactly why. To get a pick. Like the Texans did in 2021.

No one knows for sure if that’s what will happen. But that would be the rationale.
This is where I begin to back away. Carr has to want to come either through his no-trade clause or he really thinks we represent a better situation than other teams. If he thinks this is a better situation, trade is not necessary. If he's looking for money, we can't afford a record deal.

The why is the draft pick - IF that's a scenario they are interested in - and then what could potentially happen on the financial side in terms of cap and contract structure.

I still think he'll most likely be released but I think enough about him as an upgrade at the position that I don't mind if the Saints take a shot at a trade.
As long as it's not a first I guess that's not bad, a 3rd or 4th would be ideal but I doubt they bite at that.

This is where I begin to back away. Carr has to want to come either through his no-trade clause or he really thinks we represent a better situation than other teams. If he thinks this is a better situation, trade is not necessary. If he's looking for money, we can't afford a record deal.
Hypothetically: what if he thinks it’s a better situation AND we could use the $10 million in 2023 space to go out and get him a good possession WR? Or upgrade the OL or DL?

Again, not saying that’s what’s gonna happen. But that would be the rationale for using the pick to free up space now.

As long as it's not a first I guess that's not bad, a 3rd or 4th would be ideal but I doubt they bite at that.

Hard to imagine what would lead to an outcome where the Saints would send a high pick in a deal that Carr would sign-off on - UNLESS the Raiders took on a significant cap hit (max, perhaps, whatever that amount would be), which seems really unlikely.

Hypothetically: what if he thinks it’s a better situation AND we could use the $10 million in 2023 space to go out and get him a good possession WR? Or upgrade the OL or DL?

Again, not saying that’s what’s gonna happen. But that would be the rationale for using the pick to free up space now.
Valid hypothetical, but I don't think we can bring him on board and grab a pricey FA. I think we need to focus on building through the draft and managing the cap.

Hard to imagine what would lead to an outcome where the Saints would send a high pick in a deal that Carr would sign-off on - UNLESS the Raiders took on a significant cap hit (max, perhaps, whatever that amount would be), which seems really unlikely.
Agree. They’re gonna use the pick to bring on a QB of their own (Rodgers?) which would also be pricey.

Valid hypothetical, but I don't think we can bring him on board and grab a pricey FA. I think we need to focus on building through the draft and managing the cap.
I can definitely see that side.

That’s why I don’t really want to have a strong take on any of it yet. I’d have to see what the eventual plan and path is. Just moreso offering hypotheticals for when ppl ask “why?”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom