Speculation New Orleans to make a trade offer for Derrick Carr this week??? (1 Viewer)

Sure.

Giving away our draft capital and overspending 20 million more dollars a year on Carr than what Dalton gives us for cheap is foolish. We aren't winning jack and Dennis Allen is a beta fish, i say beta fish cause they seldom survive past 2 years. :D
A top 10-15 option at QB makes us much more attractive to DA's replacement if it comes to that. Get a known commodity while you can and throw darts on mid round picks hoping you land a Hurts or Dak.

Nothing wrong with having preliminary discussions just to see what it might take to get him. The Raiders do not have much leverage, their going to have to eat the contract either way.

Yeah they have zero leverage. A future 7th round pick gets him if he agrees to go here. They basically have to cut him so anything extra they get is a bonus. Give them the option for a better pick if they eat some of the contract.

Yikes. Carr is the one that holds all the cards here, he has the no trade clause. IF he wants to come here, then great...but there should be no reason for us to 'sell' a draft pick to Vegas for the right to take on that contract. That's just poor process. They have no choice but to cut him.
100% I’ve gone over every situation and I simply can’t think of one where it’s in Carr’s best interest to wave the no trade EXCEPT if he’s getting his contract paid in full and likes the team he’s going to.

I get that, my point is that why would they eat a bigger cap hit? We would have to give them a higher draft pick for that to happen. Granted, all of this is speculation but most of us feel DA has to do this.

Here is the though process for a trade:
  1. Raiders are getting zero for Carr if they release him. They can buy a 2nd or 3rd round pick for 10M while while saving 25M on a QB they won’t play.
  2. Saints avoid a QB hitting FA while getting a below/at market contract for the cost of a pick.
  3. Carr doesn’t lose money. No one is paying him 40M/yr or guaranteeing as much as his contract. He keeps his no trade clause, every $ owed, and 41M guaranteed. Plus the Saints can add to that guaranteed $ if they want.
The only reason for the Raiders not to eat some cap for picks is if they need it to sign a Rodgers or Garopollo. I think they should/will draft a QB instead.

Sure.

Giving away our draft capital and overspending 20 million more dollars a year on Carr than what Dalton gives us for cheap is foolish. We aren't winning jack and Dennis Allen is a beta fish, i say beta fish cause they seldom survive past 2 years. :D
Carr would be an upgrade over Dalton. I mean, I wish there were better options available but without a top 5 draft pick, we're not exactly in a position to get anyone that will be ready to take the reigns from day 1

It also avoids us getting into a bidding war with teams with a ton of cap space and getting outbid. If you could do it for a 4th or lower it's a really smart move.

What part about that benefits Carr though? He has a no trade clause, he knows he will be released by 2/15 if he rejects a trade, and he can both choose where he goes and can make more money by doing so.

I have a hard time believing Carr couldnt get at least 41 million guaranteed on a new contract. Daniel Jones is going to get 35-38 a year and who knows how much guaranteed over the life of the deal. Carr wont get 35+, but 30 per year is probably in his range for 4-5 years.

Im not sure Carr would approve a trade even if it was a team he wanted to go to. It just doesnt make sense for him to even agree to some type of extension with a team in a trade. Every part of this situation benefits Carr to hit the open market.

Last edited:
I felt like I was reading an article written by ChatGPT.
Yeah, they said that they may get an unexpected trade offer, but the fact that they know it might be happening, by definition means that it is expected, not unexpected.

Yeah, they said that they may get an unexpected trade offer, but the fact that they know it might be happening, by definition means that it is expected, not unexpected.

This may be a notch in the cap for the Saints more than anything else - knowing Carr has no benefit to accepting a trade. If they are the only team to offer a draft pick to Carr, Carr will at least know he is wanted here. Maybe its a recruiting tool if nothing else. I just dont see how accepting a trade to anyone is a smart move on Carr's part.

I had to read that 3 times. 😂

Taysom, Cam, Kamara come to mind. Maybe there would need to be a contract restructure of sorts all parties agree to.
I agree that trading players makes more sense than draft picks and Vegas eating salary.
Trading Winston has the same cap hit as cutting him and Vegas may want him at a cost of 12.8 million since they won't have a veteran qb under contract and he could be a bridge qb to a rookie.
Also trading Maye or Mathieu would off load the guaranteed 7.4 million for Maye or 7 million for Mathieu contract if we wanted to go cheaper at safety. Maye would give us a 4.4 million dollar savings on our 2023 cap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom