New RB coach (1 Viewer)

Payton must have some unspoken fondness for Miami (Ohio) coaches. I don't like the way this guy was just plugged in to coach running backs when his only experience is with coaching the O-line. Bobby Jackson would have been a much better hire that could have taught Reggie Bush more.

Well, he should help our RBs as far as pass-protection goes... and Karney... and he should understand the offensive line's blocking schemes and be able to help the RBs understand, and read, them as well.

If you're playing RB on an NFL team, you should already know how to be a RB.

Seems crazy, but he should be able to learn the o-line schemes and educate the backs on the strengths, weaknesses, flow, etc. Maybe Reggie will run with one arm out so he doesn't run up the back of the lineman. Maybe that vision will come and the dance will flow.
I do like the idea of getting a smart guy from a division rival though. Might be a short term backfield hire if Marano goes elsewhere.

>>Originally Posted by DaveinCoalinga
I don't get it. An offensive line coach for running backs?

Me neither.....this is a weird hire. At the very least he was TE/HB coach at Miami Ohio for five years. Still very strange.......>>

I trust Coach Payton.

Interesting hire.

I remember Payton went after Kromer, when he just got hired. But the Bucs rejected the Saints.

Maybe he can give us some inside info, on the Buccies.

I don't think that it is uncommon for coaches to move from one position area to another (on the same side of the ball). Payton must view him as a strong teacher.

Not trying to speak for our new coach, but many coordinators have coached various positions on their side of the ball to fully understand what is needed and expected for a good offense/defense. Maybe he has aspirations of being an OC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom