New salary cap "trick" (1 Viewer)

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The new CBA has provided a new way for teams to reduce their cap hits. Every team is allowed to designated two players for re-sign in a way that reduces their cap hit by up to $1.25 million combined. In order to qualify for this benefit, the player must have been with his current team for at least four years, and only his current team is allowed to offer that benefit. So basically, it's a way for veteran players at the lower end of the roster to earn some more cash that doesn't hurt his team's cap. Here's a link:

To be eligible for the VSB, a player must have continuous service with a team for four seasons (he cannot have been cut any time), be a free agent re-signing with the franchise, and can only sign a one-year deal.

The bad news is, on the Saints, I see only one free agent who could possibly qualify for the benefit this year: CB P.J. Williams. And I'd be more than surprised if he'd settle for such a small deal anyway, even with the benefit.

That's cool.

I wonder if we signed Zach Woods to a one year deal he would have been eligible next year.

We could have re-uped him every year and not attributed a dime. You just have the risk of losing him I guess.

That's cool.

I wonder if we signed Zach Woods to a one year deal he would have been eligible next year.
I think he would have--with the caveat that I haven't seen any language that says a player has to at least be in his fifth NFL year overall to qualify. That's how the veteran minimum salary benefit has worked.

Even if that language does not apply, it still wouldn't make any other Saint eligible this year.

Last edited:
If it’s in the new CBA then wouldn’t that provision not apply until 2021? If so then we have a handful of possible UFA candidates for that new rule next offseason:

Warford
Taysom
Rankins
Robertson
Kamara
Marcus Williams
Anzalone
Hendrickson

If it’s in the new CBA then wouldn’t that provision not apply until 2021? If so then we have a handful of possible UFA candidates for that new rule next offseason:

Warford
Taysom
Rankins
Robertson
Kamara
Marcus Williams
Anzalone
Hendrickson
No, it applies now. That's why the Cowboys just used it.

Most of those guys I'd be surprised to see take a deal cheap enough to qualify, except for Robertson. Hardee, who just re-signed for a year, is another possibility next year.

No, it applies now. That's why the Cowboys just used it.

Most of those guys I'd be surprised to see take a deal cheap enough to qualify, except for Robertson. Hardee, who just re-signed for a year, is another possibility next year.
Gotcha, didn't see the part about the Cowboys using it. Definitely an interesting concept though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom