New Server/Host coming soon. (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For you tech junkies, here is the new setup that I ordered today with Verio.

We can thank Samdogg, who is a sales rep at Verio for getting this package for us. He was able to get us a lot of discounts that make this package cheaper than the current setup that we have with theplanet. :9:

Quantity 1

Server Model HP ProLiant DL360 G5
Port *100 Mbps Port
Processors 2 x 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, Quad-Core Xeon 5430 Processors
Memory 6 GB FBD PC2-5300 (6 x 1GB)
HP Mini SAS 4i 13.4 inch/0.35 m cable HP Mini SAS 4i 13.4 inch/0.35 m cable
Drive Bay1 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 RAID 5
Drive Bay2 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 RAID 5
Drive Bay3 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 RAID 5
Drive Bay4 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 RAID 5
Drive Bay5 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 Hot Spare
Operating System Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0 32-bit 2 CPU
Raid-5
Power Supply 2 X 700W HP redundant power supply

IP Space 14 IP Addresses
Firewall
Storage Controller Options HP Smart Array P400 Controller with 512-MB BBWC
Setup HP Servers HP ProLiant Setup

*The 100 mbps connection is dedicated/unshared 100mbps port.
We will try to go live with this prior to the draft.

I had to sign a 3-yr deal to save $$$, but feel confident about it.

Edit - Added 2 GB RAM to server on 7/7/09

yea baby thats what I'm talkin about. give us more power. I am so glad you are here to make our day brighter Andrus. I just might have to bump up contribution each month.

thought had multiple servers before?

We do. We are currently running two servers, mainly because the present 100 mbps connection is shared, not to mention the bandwidth is degraded. So aside from resource beat downs during peak traffic spikes, we've been having connectivity bottlenecks for the last year and a half. This package SHOULD solve both problems. Of course, I've stated that before.

Samdogg can tell you about our current hosts drawbacks and both Sam and eaux-yeah can let you in on the advantages with the new service and package.

well, having the phpbb and the db on the same server would reduce much of the connection bottleneck.. oh, thought that was dual xeon before.. sweet.. those 8 cores should handle the processing and that array should be decent...
thought the going rate for sas drives were 15K rpm...

well, having the phpbb and the db on the same server would reduce much of the connection bottleneck.. oh, thought that was dual xeon before.. sweet.. those 8 cores should handle the processing and that array should be decent...
thought the going rate for sas drives were 15K rpm...

Actually, the vbulletin and db are on the same server here, the second server is hosting site graphics.

The going RPM rate may well be 15k on the SAS drives, but I am not one to complain being as this package costs less than the current setup.

15K drives are premiums. with the 10k we should still see a measurable margin gain. Just the cores ought to scream.

15K drives are premiums. with the 10k we should still see a measurable margin gain. Just the cores ought to scream.

no argument there, with those 8 cores, it should scream.
raid 5 does perform quite well, on a good controller with cache... as see 512mb of that...

that controller alone, costs more than most pc's these days.

hmm. considering that it was the bandwidth as bottleneck.. thinking might have been better to put the graphics on the same as bb, and db on the other.. but guess goin all on one will solve anyhow.
being the graphics are larger, and almost everyones sig has them, plus the avatars.. you're hitting that connection every post. granted moving those files to the other server did make a noticeable improvement.. not saying was a bad idea at all.
just thinking. but then again, how close was the bb/db server to the drive i/o limit...

you're more experienced than I, in this ballpark.

just noticed the rhel you're using is 2 cpu.. granted physically 2 cpu's is what you have, but internally its 8... will it take advantage of all those cores. unsure of redhats implementation. I'm guessing they've run that system before.. so guessing it takes advantage.. just curious.

just noticed the rhel you're using is 2 cpu.. granted physically 2 cpu's is what you have, but internally its 8... will it take advantage of all those cores. unsure of redhats implementation. I'm guessing they've run that system before.. so guessing it takes advantage.. just curious.

mySQL is going to benefit more from the quad cores just because of the throughput in high traffic times due to the multi threading.

For you tech junkies, here is the new setup that I ordered today with Verio.

We can thank Samdogg, who is a sales rep at Verio for getting this package for us. He was able to get us a lot of discounts that make this package cheaper than the current setup that we have with theplanet. :9:

Quantity 1

Server Model HP ProLiant DL360 G5
Port *100 Mbps Port
Processors 2 x 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, Quad-Core Xeon 5430 Processors
Memory 6 GB FBD PC2-5300 (6 x 1GB)
HP Mini SAS 4i 13.4 inch/0.35 m cable HP Mini SAS 4i 13.4 inch/0.35 m cable
Drive Bay1 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 RAID 5
Drive Bay2 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 RAID 5
Drive Bay3 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 RAID 5
Drive Bay4 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 RAID 5
Drive Bay5 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF HDD Disk Group 1 Hot Spare
Operating System Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0 32-bit 2 CPU
Power Supply 2 X 700W HP redundant power supply
IP Space 14 IP Addresses
Storage Controller Options HP Smart Array P400 Controller with 512-MB BBWC
Setup HP Servers HP ProLiant Setup

*The 100 mbps connection is dedicated/unshared 100mbps port.
We will try to go live with this prior to the draft.

I had to sign a 3-yr deal to save $$$, but feel confident about it.​

What a BEAST!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom