New stuff in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

if one had the pioneering spirit and could dig in for a few years, the area you're talking about and the one abutting lafitte corridor seem like great bets

edit: esp with Morris Jeff moving there

I agree. Unfortunately, with a 10 year-old daughter, I'm not in the pioneering type of mind these days.

Yes.

I haven't been to Panchita's, but I've only heard good things.

Cool. I've been tempted to go in several times, but never have. We've just been going to Juan's. Juan's is good at times, but it's pretty inconsistent and the wait times can be a major pain for good to average food.

Panchita's was just decent, I thought. I love Juan's, but it's definitely not what I'd call "Mexican food".

It's amazing that New Orleans still has little to nothing to offer in the way of quality Mexican food besides tacos and the like. Hopefully one day someone will open a place dedicated to stuff besides street food.

And while we're talking about Juan's-esque Creole-Mex-Southwest-fusion-type restaurants, I LOVE Velvet Cactus in Lakeview. Seriously, seriously delicious.

Panchita's was just decent, I thought. I love Juan's, but it's definitely not what I'd call "Mexican food".

I go to Juan's all the time and you are right, it's not really "Mexican" food. It's more what American's think of as Mexican food, which is fine by me. When it's good, it's very good, but they are really inconsistent and the wait times are terrible. One night the food is great he next night you can order the same thing and it taste nothing like what you had the night before. Still, no matter what, it's usually good, solid, fairly cheap food and I like the atmosphere a lot.

It's amazing that New Orleans still has little to nothing to offer in the way of quality Mexican food besides tacos and the like. Hopefully one day someone will open a place dedicated to stuff besides street food.

My brother tells me that the Canal Street Bistro, of all places, has a lot of authentic upscale Mexican dishes on menu. I think the chef is from Mexico. I've never been, but he tells me it's very good.

I just find it odd that they would have such a menu and call the place Canal Street Bistro. I just always assumed that they served French Bistro food.

I go to Juan's all the time and you are right, it's not really "Mexican" food. It's more what American's think of as Mexican food, which is fine by me. When it's good, it's very good, but they are really inconsistent and the wait times are terrible. One night the food is great he next night you can order the same thing and it taste nothing like what you had the night before. Still, no matter what, it's usually good, solid, fairly cheap food and I like the atmosphere a lot.

Oh, I don't disagree, except I can't say I've had the quality issues you have (thankfully). I don't even bother to go at regular dining hours because of the wait. If I remember correctly, their sign labels them a "creole taqueria", which I would completely agree with. There used to be a place on Carrollton before Katrina that served similar food. I can't remember the name, but I think it was owned by the same people who owned Angeli's and a few other places (talk about a place that tanked after Katrina! - man do I miss that place as it used to be). Anyway, they had this puffy quesadilla with roasted corn salsa and a crawfish enchilada that were just mind-blowingly good. Total New Orleans in a tortilla. Velvet Cactus is the closest thing to that these days, although it also suffers from long waits at peak hours.

My brother tells me that the Canal Street Bistro, of all places, has a lot of authentic upscale Mexican dishes on menu. I think the chef is from Mexico. I've never been, but he tells me it's very good.

I just find it odd that they would have such a menu and call the place Canal Street Bistro. I just always assumed that they served French Bistro food.

Huh, that's odd. Mexican home/country/regional cuisine is so amazing and so overlooked and underrepresented in this country (and ESPECIALLY this city). I'll have to check that out!

The chef is Guillermo Peters, who had Tacqueros on St Charles for a while.

I agree with all this,

I LOVE Velvet Cactus in Lakeview. Seriously, seriously delicious.

which makes this very odd. I find Velvet Cactus mostly just OK, and closer to marginal the rest of the time.

Was? Did he sell out of Baru? I have always respected what theyve done there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Not sure, my parents know the guys from Baru, I think he left it and was doing mainly catering (he did my cousin's wedding) until opening Basin.

I agree with all this,

which makes this very odd. I find Velvet Cactus mostly just OK, and closer to marginal the rest of the time.

The shrimp cakes and the pork pibil tacos are amazing. The fish tacos and smoked/grilled meats are also pretty good. I've never tried their burritos/enchiladas/quesadillas/nachos, so maybe that's where the disconnect is?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom