New stuff in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

Panchita's is ok. They have a good chicharon taco. My money for latin food is always on Taqueria Corona though (actually Salvadorian I think but delish). Never had a bad meal there.

I really miss Street Car Sandwich. I had my first every poboys there and fell in love with Oysters. They also had a poboy called the belly Burner which had hot sausage and jalapeños all over it. I have been thinking about trying to recreate this one lately but I am working with very old memories. :(

Many have tried to recreate street car sandwiches, but no one has succeeded, to my knowledge. Their peacemaker was amazing.

Pretty cool stuff about new whole foods development
Hadn't heard this detail before
Eyesore will be transformed into a culinary model for rest of country | wwltv.com New Orleans
Also in the renovated building will be a first of its kind in the country. Tulane medical students with have a center for culinary medicine. Classes have already started at a temporary site for future doctors to learn how to help patients with the important connection between healthful food and a healthy body.

"The secret is that most physicians, including me, know absolutely nothing about nutrition," said Dr. Benjamin Sachs, a senior vice-president and dean of the Tulane School of Medicine. "Unless we do something to stop this epidemic (of diabetes and heart disease), we're never going to tackle the health care issues in our country."

D

What most americans think is mexican food is actually tex-mex. Juan's is actually closer to mexican. Soft tacos, not crunchy. More emphasis on pork instead of low grade seasoned ground beef. And not everything smothered in melting cheese. Their pork and slaw tacos have never been bad.

Taqueria corona is another good example and is more faithful to true mexican.

Ive also heard good things about el gato negro in lakeview.

What most americans think is mexican food is actually tex-mex. Juan's is actually closer to mexican. Soft tacos, not crunchy. More emphasis on pork instead of low grade seasoned ground beef. And not everything smothered in melting cheese. Their pork and slaw tacos have never been bad.

Taqueria corona is another good example and is more faithful to true mexican.

Ive also heard good things about el gato negro in lakeview.

i hate tex-mex. i love juan's and taqueria corona (their pizza will clog you up for days, but it is well worth it).

On the news when residents are asked why this should not be built they pretty much all said that parking is going to be tougher. Pretty weak man. I'm sure that run down gas station that's there isn't helping their property value.

I have sympathy for the parking issue when it is brought up in parts of Uptown where people bought property before a street turned into a big commercial corridor, but when you live by Esplanade and Rampart in the French Quarter, you had to know what you were buying into. I mean, you bought a house in the French Quarter, what could you possibly have been expecting? It's like buying a house by the airport and then complaining about the noise of jets flying over your house.

I also find some of the issues with the visuals of the place funny. I mean, the French Quarter was essentially built by the Spanish so it seems like reasonable Cuban architecture would fit right in. That is unless the idea is to make the place look like Senor Frogs or something.

this can go into the what's new on Tulane
Ur Way NOLA - Yogurt & Coffee Bar, New Orleans

havent seen this thread in a bit - new pho place in the cbd at barrone and gravier(?) is solid but not spectacular. ba chi canteen is new uptown and better if you dont feel like going to the east or the westbank. the one in the cbd is better than the one at place st charles for a workday lunch though.

lucky rooster at barrone and poydras is a new asian street food place - pretty good. right next to the brand new jimmy johns for a point of reference.

a bunch of new restaurants on magazine street the last few weeks as well but i havent checked them out

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom