NFL New Vaccine rules for NFL (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you and I are saying the same thing... It comes down to choice (for the employee/consumer)... and Policy directive for the entity (Private or Public)...

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. There is a reason for setting such a policy, and it's not always about money or optics.

Okay but I'm kind of at the point of 'so what?'

If the league's interest is in attempting to fully mitigate the chance of a new wave of disruptions that complicate the performance of their seasonal business, isn't that interest legitimate? Private business almost always acts in the interest of the business and not necessary in the interest of public safety or personal responsibility except where those interests align. But I'm not seeing how that's particularly meaningful or revelatory here.

Maybe I missed the origins of this line of debate in the thread, if so, apologies.

No worries - My point was about 2 pages back... I see this policy as a Publicity and Corp Image policy, and not a public health policy... For various reasons... But mostly because It's HIGHLY likely that most NFL staff, FO, and Execs have long been Vaxed... and the main player demographic (Young - Super Healthy - Male Athletes) are the least vulnerable non-vaxed set of people on earth... That was my point in response to the OP's topic... In the end - Like someone already said - This is the NFL saying to it's players - Get Vaxed or get ######.... and that has nothing to do with player safety.... and everything to do with Image.

Last edited:
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. There is a reason for setting such a policy, and it's not always about money or optics.

Agreed again... In this case (NFL) it is... In Public Schools and Hospitals... Not so much.... For a company like Amazon, WalMart, McDonald's... My bet would be Optics - but they won't do it because it will kill profit margins and trigger a mass exodus of workers.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your point... but I think we agree in principal... but differ on situational frequency... I think it's much more the later than the former.

Last edited:
I am on medication for a blood-clotting disorder, and spent a good deal of time looking up the implications on clotting for both covid and the vaccine. The science supports the vaccine, and I got one as soon as I was eligible.

Do not spread lies.
I am not spreading lies. There are tons of articles that say it is rare, but it has happened.

No worries - My point was about 2 pages back... I see this policy as a Publicity and Corp Image policy, and not a public health policy... For various reasons... But mostly because It's HIGHLY likely that most NFL staff, FO, and Execs have long been Vaxed... and the main player demographic (Young - Super Healthy - Male Athletes) are the least vulnerable non-vaxed set of people on earth... The was my point in response to the OP's topic... In the end - Like someone already said - This is the NFL saying to it's players - Get Vaxed or get ######.... and that has nothing to do with safety.... and everything to do with Image.

I understand your premises but I'm not sure I agree it has everything to do with image. Maybe that's part of it but I think that when it comes to an operation like the NFL, there's one essential/critical interest - and then there's everything else. And that one interest is being able to play a full schedule of NFL football that includes pre-season, the regular season, and the post-season so that every dollar can be earned, and every business interest satisfied.

If you're sitting in the NFL board room with the commissioner and the executive vice president of football operations and you're looking at this situation and moving into what will quickly become the 2021-22 season, what is the single biggest risk to meeting that singular interest? Clearly it is some kind of new wave of Covid. All other risks pale in comparison, as we saw last year how disruptive a pandemic can be. And if you're a long-term planner, you have to consider the possibility that a new variant could emerge that puts our current success in jeopardy. At this point, it's not that likely but our frame of reference is very narrow and we know the dynamics do indeed exist to present that scenario.

If that's the single biggest risk you face, and the most important thing you can do it to mitigate it is near-universal vaccination in your league population, you take steps to try to make that a reality. That is entirely sensible to me as a business prerogative, and not merely set in image considerations.

I understand your premises but I'm not sure I agree it has everything to do with image. Maybe that's part of it but I think that when it comes to an operation like the NFL, there's one essential/critical interest - and then there's everything else. And that one interest is being able to play a full schedule of NFL football that includes pre-season, the regular season, and the post-season so that every dollar can be earned, and every business interest satisfied.

If you're sitting in the NFL board room with the commissioner and the executive vice president of football operations and you're looking at this situation and moving into what will quickly become the 2021-22 season, what is the single biggest risk to meeting that singular interest? Clearly it is some kind of new wave of Covid. All other risks pale in comparison, as we saw last year how disruptive a pandemic can be. And if you're a long-term planner, you have to consider the possibility that a new variant could emerge that puts our current success in jeopardy. At this point, it's not that likely but our frame of reference is very narrow and we know the dynamics do indeed exist to present that scenario.

If that's the single biggest risk you face, and the most important thing you can do it to mitigate it is near-universal vaccination in your league population, you take steps to try to make that a reality. That is entirely sensible to me as a business prerogative, and not merely set in image considerations.

We just had a NBA (other major leagues and College as well) season happen prior to this years' NFL season without a game missed (and very few players missing time) due to Covid, and without this new NFL level of a punitive policy for un-vaxed players... We will have to disagree on the primary reason this is being done by the NFL.

If it was really about safety... What about VAX and testing requirements for fans, refs, vendors, security, ball boys, camera men, media members, broadcast crews, etc?

Sorry, this smells like a Publicity/Image turd.

Last edited:
I am not spreading lies. There are tons of articles that say it is rare, but it has happened.

Correlation does not equal causation.

In my case, I was the first in my family diagnosed, as most with this genetic factor live out their lives without knowing they carry it, and it's not something doctors test for. Going back though, it explains why certain relatives experienced certain medical conditions. They just didn't know.

Conditioned athletes have dropped dead with undiagnosed heart ailments. That doesn't mean football killed them.

We just had a NBA (other major leagues and College as well) season happen prior to this years' NFL season without a game missed (and very few players missing time) due to Covid, and without this new NFL level of a punitive policy for un-vaxed players... We will have to disagree on the primary reason this is being done by the NFL.

If it was really about safety... What about requirements for fans, refs, vendors, security, ball boys, camera men, media members, broadcast crews, etc?

Sorry, this smells like a Publicity/Image turd.

Yeah fair enough, you might be right.

But again so what.

Yeah fair enough, you might be right.

But again so what.

Fair enough, so what.... for now. (Waiting for the NFL policy that states FOX-NFLN-ESPN can lose it's Broadcast rights any given week should any of their Broadcast personnel on-site not be vaccinated or test positive prior to gameday, and sets a super strict regimented policy for all broadcast members choosing not to be Vaxed - You know - Because the NFL cares soooo much about Covid safety)

Last edited:
6 cases, 1 fatality out of 6.8 million doses at the time J&J was suspended temporarily. There have been a grand total of zero cases in men and there are also zero cases of it in the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine groups.
So while you are not incorrect, you’re certainly taking a tiny point of data and blowing it out of proportion.

I wasn't saying that everyone did. But the vaccine prevents that from happening.
Apparently not. The fact that you can still get it after this miracle vaccine proves that anything can happen. It is bull crap that the NFL is forcing this on the players basically. They are the new NAZI party, take this shot or else you get different and unfair treatment and are segregated from all your teammates.
What if you are a player that can't take the vaccine as you have something that the vaccine may aggravate or cause you sickness? It's unfair what they are doing and they will probably pay the price in law suits from players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom