New York Jets banged up on defense (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
New York Jets banged up on defense

New York Jets Coach Rex Ryan turned to gallows humor after watching three of his top five defensive backs sit out Wednesday's practice and the other two limited in what they could do, all because of injuries.

That's not exactly the position any defensive-minded coach would like to find themselves in with the NFL's top-ranked offense on tap Sunday afternoon.
"You would think I would feel nervous, but we're only playing New Orleans, so I'm not really worried about having to cover anybody with Drew Brees (playing), " Ryan said.
Of course, Ryan knows he has a lot of game-planning to do for Brees, the NFL Offensive Player of the Year who is making a case to run away with the award again this season. Through the first three weeks, he has completed nearly 70 percent of his passes (67 of 97) for 841 yards, an NFL-high nine touchdowns, just two interceptions and a league-best 118.1 passer rating.
With Brees at the controls, the Saints (3-0) are first in the NFL in total offense (438 yards per game). They're first in scoring (40 points per game).
Cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland remained sidelined after sitting out last Sunday's victory over the Titans with quad and ankle injuries. Safety Jim Leonhard missed practice with a knee injury. Cornerback Darrelle Revis (knee) and safety Kerry Rhodes (knee) were limited.
The Jets brought in ex-Baltimore Ravens cornerback Corey Ivy for a workout Friday and might sign him if the situation worsens.
Ryan isn't worrying just yet. Leonhard, Revis and Rhodes are expected to play, but Sheppard and Strickland are iffy.
"I would feel a lot worse if this was Friday, " Ryan said. "I have a feeling we'll have guys ready to play this weekend."
The Jets (3-0) will need them.

Read Full Article

Entire secondary is on the Injury Report.

It's highly unlikely that Shepperd and Strickland play. Revis and Reeves are both hurting also but I gurantee they go. I'm not convinced Leonhard plays though.

Look for Brees to have a big day and for Rex to really sell out with the blitz now. At first I thought he'd play it smart but he may not have a choice now. He'll have to go for broke because that secondary has no shot at manning up.

I was just going to post something about this. Here's what SportingNews had to say:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/37147/nfl_team_reports_afc_east

The injury report could be significant for the Jets this week, considering three defensive backs didn't practice Wednesday, including two starters. CBs Lito Sheppard (quad) and Donald Strickland (ankle), who didn't play last week, again missed practice. SS Jim Leonhard, who had a good game against the Titans, also sat out Wednesday with a knee problem. Worse yet, FS Kerry Rhodes (knee) and CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring) both were limited, although both are expected to play

OUCH! You know what will happen if we destroy their secondary... "Oh the Jets weren't at full strength, the Saints got lucky." Get ready it's coming! (and I don't mind)

Article from yesterday about the same topic:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-09-30/jets-secondary-banged-before-saints-game

I'd bet they're far healthier than ol' Rex is reporting. He's Buddy Ryan's son so he's looking for every advantage he can get. No matter how small. I'm sure he's hoping the Saints players and staff will think they're all banged up and let up a little. Maybe have Payton prep for the nickelback as a starter, etc. Then be taken by surprise when they show up at full strength Sunday. Don't believe the injury report. It hasn't meant a thing since Belichick started using it as a chess piece........

let the excuses start now. I don't buy that injury report for a minute--this game is going to be tough.

I'd bet they're far healthier than ol' Rex is reporting. He's Buddy Ryan's son so he's looking for every advantage he can get. No matter how small. I'm sure he's hoping the Saints players and staff will think they're all banged up and let up a little. Maybe have Payton prep for the nickelback as a starter, etc. Then be taken by surprise when they show up at full strength Sunday. Don't believe the injury report. It hasn't meant a thing since Belichick started using it as a chess piece........

With as many mind games as Payton himself plays, there's no chance he falls for something like that.

With as many mind games as Payton himself plays, there's no chance he falls for something like that.

I know but that wouldn't stop Rex from trying it. From what I've heard Payton is ticked at Bushrod for telling the press he wasn't playing on Sunday. Payton wanted the Jets to believe it was a game time decision. Now I'm sure Rex and co. are pouring through gamefilm to get an idea of Streif's tendencies and weaknesses. I also wouldn't put it past Ryan (Hot Sauce) to have one his DL or LBs fall on either of our OTs legs now knowing how razor thin we are at all OT.

I can't wait for our "finesse" team to ballerina dance all over the "MIGHTY" Jets defense! :jpshakehead:

I am confused... Last I heard Payton said Bushrod will be playing?

i think most of Rex's defensive scheme has to do with the front 7 rather than the back 4.

Seems like the stars keep aligning here. McNabb out when we play the Eagles. A good offense in Buffalo suffering significant injuries along the O-line as they prepare for us. Now the defensive-dependent Jets are suffering significant injuries in the secondary?

I think we'd beat all these teams either way, but it's weird... catching a lot of breaks here. It's like every week there's a very favorable matchup due to injury (our secondary vs. Kolb, our D-line vs. Buff. O-line, now our passing game against the Jets' secondary). But then again, we could just chalk that up to having a balanced team.

i think most of Rex's defensive scheme has to do with the front 7 rather than the back 4.

There is truth to what you are saying. However, the scheming is up front because he has been relying on the stellar play of the back 4. If the back 4 are not able to play well, his schemes up front create problems for the Jets defense in coverage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom