Article New York may ban menthol cigarettes. Is this racist or not? (1 Viewer)

I think banning the sale is one thing, banning the use is another. Depends on who gets punished.

Although the New York City bill prohibits stores from selling menthol cigarettes and does not penalize smokers who buy the products, NAN and Sharpton have said the measure unfairly targets black consumers. Nearly 9 out of 10 black smokers prefer menthol cigarettes, which have historically been marketed toward African American communities, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

So, no one will get locked up for this.

I"m not a fan of smoking, but people do use it to cope. Right or wrong. I do think this unfairly targets blacks, but it is by design. They're trying to curb the higher rate of smoking by blacks. (or course, they don't even get into Asians).

Why not just ban all cigarettes?

Why not offer more quitting programs and services? I know most states already offer it, well push it more. Advertise it better. Talk to people.

Jefferson argued the social justice argument is little more than a ruse.

“There’s no evidence to support that more African-American youth or youth in general were arrested since [cities] started the flavored tobacco bans,” Jefferson said. “They’ve been banning flavors since 2009. No evidence whatsoever that more youth are arrested as a result of it. The argument does not have any legs.”

He added: “It is unfortunate that Rev. Al Sharpton and NAN have sold them out for monetary gain. They sold out black public health for monetary gain.”

However, we are at an interesting point where we want people to make better choices about various things. Less people smoking, means less of a burden on expensive health care, which in theory, lowers prices. Getting annual check ups may cost more per year, but generally lowers the odds of having high cost issues later, because they weren't caught in time. Overall, saves money. Walking every day, better for your health, saves money. we can go on an on and on.

At what point, do you work hard to convince people to do the right thing, vs make them? You have to pick your battles.

What will things be like when we start to run out of resources? Some localities already deal with that with water shortages. Now, when one person's greed or inability to follow the rules hurts the public, what's the punishment? At what point will it take for that punishment to be severe?

At what point, do you work hard to convince people to do the right thing, vs make them? You have to pick your battles.

A whole 'nother layer of that question is" how much responsibility does government have to make people do what government thinks is *right*?", combined with and somewhat opposed to "how much responsibility do the people have in making the government do what is *right*?"

This tells me everything that I need to know about this situation.

But the bill has gone nowhere for six months since the National Action Network — the nonprofit founded and led by Sharpton — testified against the measure in January. NAN has received funding from Big Tobacco and has held town halls at prominent black churches throughout the United States to talk about how menthol bans criminalize the black community.

It is obvious that Al Sharpton is leading this charge because his only concern is that this measure unfairly targets black consumers. Heart of Gold that Al Sharpton.

200.gif

have advocates for this bill given any reason for it besides curbing smoking in African Americans?
If not, then absolutely it is racist as well as insulting.
So white people are smart enough to decide for themselves but black people are not? Either ban smoking or don't

I think banning the sale is one thing, banning the use is another. Depends on who gets punished.

So, no one will get locked up for this.

I"m not a fan of smoking, but people do use it to cope. Right or wrong. I do think this unfairly targets blacks, but it is by design. They're trying to curb the higher rate of smoking by blacks. (or course, they don't even get into Asians).

Why not just ban all cigarettes?

Why not offer more quitting programs and services? I know most states already offer it, well push it more. Advertise it better. Talk to people.

However, we are at an interesting point where we want people to make better choices about various things. Less people smoking, means less of a burden on expensive health care, which in theory, lowers prices. Getting annual check ups may cost more per year, but generally lowers the odds of having high cost issues later, because they weren't caught in time. Overall, saves money. Walking every day, better for your health, saves money. we can go on an on and on.

What will things be like when we start to run out of resources? Some localities already deal with that with water shortages. Now, when one person's greed or inability to follow the rules hurts the public, what's the punishment? At what point will it take for that punishment to be severe?

Asians & Europeans.......if they want to smoke, let them smoke. How stupid. Some people need to stay in their own lane.

Are menthols worse for health than regular smokies? While I don't agree with the Nanny State banning cigs, if menthols are in fact worse, then I don't see racism.

Honestly, this reeks of just more soft bigotry of low expectations than "racism".

Are menthols worse for health than regular smokies? While I don't agree with the Nanny State banning cigs, if menthols are in fact worse, then I don't see racism.

Honestly, this reeks of just more soft bigotry of low expectations than "racism".
I smoke menthols. Its not so much a health thing as it is a preference. I don't care for non menthol cigarettes. If that was my only choice I would either quit or at the least cut back back drastically. So I guess I can see what they are trying to do and it has nothing to do with being racist.

I don't know about the cigs. Honestly the world should start pushing the vape thing.

They did stop the menthol malt liquor from being sold.

And yes I guess you could say that targets certain people.

But you could break it down however you want.

You can always judge the pathic drunk you know by the type of Natty they drink.

Natty lite regular drunk

Natty ice higher content more pathetic not the worst but watch your stuff.

Natty daddy watch your medicine cabinet and loose change. You have a super looser in your presence.

Now if any of these people are buying loose talls forget their names. If they can't afford more than one cheap arse beer Lord help them cuz you can't.

I couldn't tell you if it's really racist or not, but it just strikes me as another one of those "hey look I can't walk a block in Manhattan without passing 8 homeless people, but sure let's ban large sodas and menthol cigarettes because we care about people" kind of things.

I wish New York would worry about fixing big problems instead of manufacturing small ones to "fix."

Truth in Lending Disclosure - I work in New York City

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom