News: Greenbrier Reopens (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I heard the spot on the local radio (Roanoke) but here is a news link...
The Greenbrier reopens to guests after West Virginia floods - WTOP

According to the news article they are projecting Saints camp to open on July 27.

Based on the local radio spot:
  • There was no damage to the hotel just some of the surrounding facilities.
  • The Greenbrier housed some 500+ flooded residents at no cost until they could get back on their feet.

I've not ever been to West Virginia, but it stands to reason the builders of the resort wouldn't have built it in a flood zone in the first place. Good thing indeed that it was open as a shelter for families there.

And I'll get ahead of the "affects performance" crowd by reminding people that training camp at the height of the Dome Patrol era was held in LaCrosse, Wis. to beat the humidity. It never affected the performance of those men.

Ridiculous. While I am happy that the city is recovering I wish we could have watched them here for once. Selfish I know but hey I want more up close.

Ridiculous. While I am happy that the city is recovering I wish we could have watched them here for once. Selfish I know but hey I want more up close.

Are you not aware that the final part of training camp is in fact conducted in Metairie?

The people of the Gulf South understand the devastation Mother Nature can cause and they also understand how important returning to some semblance of Normalcy can be for the recovery effort. As much as we all would like to see our Saints closer to home, times like these mean more to the people of West Virginia while they try to get their lives back on track. The folks at the Greenbriar have been quite accommodating to the Saints in preparing their facility for our usage these past few years and our Saints returning is an incredible economic impact to that region and their first step in returning to normal.

I am confident the team will organize and do other charitable work during their stay as well to help the region out. It is the "Saintly" thing to do.

The Saints have held camp in Metairie and Thibodaux and it was almost too hot to sit and watch. It's good for them to train in a climate that is more conducive to learning and not passing out from dehydration.

I agree fellas I'm just stating that I like to see them as much as possible. I truly get it though in regards to the affects of keeping them there.

45042021.jpg

Its the last year of the contract for the saints to be in WV. 13 day and 1 evening practice this year. Payton has said that he likes to rotate locations and the coach and players have repeatedly said the Greenbrier does Not cause poor performance and two 7-9 seasons in making them soft that talk like that is ridiculous. The last two years the players typical day is to have breakfast in the basement of the WV wing its where they have a setup spot for them to eat, then go to the practice facility across the street for a few hours for practice. Take a break and have lunch back in the basement then back for evening practice then dinner back in the basement and sometimes dinner being out somewhere down the road. Last year they had many more vehicles for players than the first year. This year there is no two a day practices like before so the players will have lots more free time to enjoy things at the hotel because there isn't nothing else anywhere its very isolated. They haven't had much time to enjoy golf, gun range, bowling and things like people seem to think unless its a day off or travel day back for a couple hours. Especially considering they have team and specific group meetings and film to go over and weight room conditioning. There rooms are on the 6th and 8th floor by the Gatorade stands as soon as you get off the elevator in the WV wing and the colors in there rooms are not super manly and tough. The weather at noon is hot 80 is 80 and 85 is 85 everywhere and you get sunburnt if you don't wear sunscreen no matter the location but its less humid in WV. But the weather talk mainly is because at 9am to 10am its really cool. The flooding happened in only a few small areas and counties in WV but it was nothing compared to Katrina. Only a few pictures and videos made it seem to be that way. Not much looting except for things like a bicycle, lawnmower or 4wheeler from a house being very few small cases not stores of business. There was a few cases of people getting free supplies meant for flood victims only.

I heard the spot on the local radio (Roanoke) but here is a news link...
The Greenbrier reopens to guests after West Virginia floods - WTOP

According to the news article they are projecting Saints camp to open on July 27.

Based on the local radio spot:
  • There was no damage to the hotel just some of the surrounding facilities.
  • The Greenbrier housed some 500+ flooded residents at no cost until they could get back on their feet.

NFLN has been showing on their ticker for days that our camp opens to rookies on the 24th (veterans the 29th), so I wonder who's reporting the wrong date.

Given everything, I do think it is important that we are, in fact, going to be able to hold training camp as originally intended. I don't hold much stock in the prevailing opinion that the Greenbrier is our Camp Cupcake and the scapegoat for our recent on-the-field woes. This year, I hope to just love my Saints and hold my expectations in check.

Given everything, I do think it is important that we are, in fact, going to be able to hold training camp as originally intended. I don't hold much stock in the prevailing opinion that the Greenbrier is our Camp Cupcake and the scapegoat for our recent on-the-field woes. This year, I hope to just love my Saints and hold my expectations in check.

If it happens 3 years in a row then that theory will be blown out of the water...........:mwink:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom