Next FA target should be a WR (1 Viewer)

BuddyDeesGhost

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I love the pickup of Keenan Lewis, and the talk of picking up butler, but lets stick to the realities. We're an offensive team! We simply dont have the personnel to be a defensive force nor the loot to buy us a "elite" defense.

Lets focus on shoring up the Offense that used to make other teams tremble in fear.

Sadly, there are no "upgrades" for Jermon Bushrod on the market, but the wide receiver FA market is still deep. So I suppose to compensate for Bushrod's loss, we're going to need to fill the weak links in the WR corps.

We need someone the can split the secondary and give brees that option to get rid of the ball quickly.

Right now I think the FA market is crawling with so many competent receivers, wed be fools not to take a look. Take a look at some of the names that are still out there and say what you think:

1. Braylon Edwards - you can argue that he peaked a few years ago but he still has good size and in all honesty he hasn't been heavily targeted since he left the Jets.

2. Austin Collie - Injured all last year, during what should have been his breakout season, he might be a cheap date.

3. Josh Cribbs - Cleveland could never develop him as a WR, but Brees could. Imagine the tandem of Cribbs and Sproles on kick returns alone

4. Steve Breaston - past his prime, but still better than devery.

5. Titus Young - Fast and thinks hes better than Megatron - Saints give him a chance to prove it.

6. Early Doucet - LSU guy. Mauler. Good checkdown option!

Feel free to throw in some other names, of course!

If we sign a OLB in FA and Lane Johnson is gone, I would love to take Cordarelle Patterson or Tavon Austin at #15.

Dude jake long is on the market Winston and vollemer are stil on the market all 3 would be an upgrade! Only reciever worth getting hew yards is heyward-bey he's fast and got great hands perfect compliment to Colston
Also if Nandi is still there which he still is then I think its a smart move. Year Greer isn't done but arguably he's getting older and less productive then he was we pick up Namdi and try and move Greer for a pick and if we move him we get a draft pick and 6mil cap space. Which would give us money to sign a reciever. Or Jake Long!

Kevin Walter is available as well. Neither he nor DHB would count against our -2 FA count either. I would like some extra picks next year and this seems like a way to get younger and more picks.

Dude jake long is on the market Winston and vollemer are stil on the market all 3 would be an upgrade! Only reciever worth getting hew yards is heyward-bey he's fast and got great hands perfect compliment to Colston
Also if Nandi is still there which he still is then I think its a smart move. Year Greer isn't done but arguably he's getting older and less productive then he was we pick up Namdi and try and move Greer for a pick and if we move him we get a draft pick and 6mil cap space. Which would give us money to sign a reciever. Or Jake Long!
Jake long really, at this point we would seriously need magic to help loomis make that deal.

While Devery may not be an all-star receiver, he has caught a lot of balls for the Saints, blocks well and still works hard. If the Saints want to sign a free agent receiver, I hope it's Henderson. There isn't a guy on the OP's list that I believe would be an upgrade over DH or represents value in relation to likely cost to acquire. Heck, I'd rather Tanner get a shot than spend precious cap room on one of those guys.

No doubt a receiver will be added, but the options now available in free agency are not good.

The only signings we should do on offense is LT and backup QB. We need another TE but we could draft TE. We have WRs on our practice squad that we can slide on the roster if need be but no way would I sign any of the dudes on your list. Cribbs MAYBE but the rest can all go and play in traffic on I-10 at 5 o'clock.

How in the world can you say that this team doesn't have the personnel and start a list where Braylon Edwards is at the top? This thread is hilarious.

12 Colston, Marques
86 Fayson, Jarred
17 Givens, Chris
80 Graham, Jimmy
18 Hakim, Saalim
81 Higgins, Michael
16 Moore, Lance
13 Morgan, Joseph
87 Parker, Preston
14 Tanner, Andy
88 Toon, Nick

Unrestricted Free Agent

# NAME
19 Henderson, Devery
15 Roby, Courtney

New Orleans Saints | Roster

Why do people keep insisting that we need more receivers? Because there are so few "names" among the list above? Colston wasn't a "name" until he was recognized for his talent by the same staff that's running the show now.

Personally, if we lose Henderson, I'm not that worried. But what about "stretching the field", some might say. Joe Morgan led the league in yards per catch with an average of 37.9 (with the exception of Donte Stallworth who caught one pass for 63 yards). Isn't yards/catch pretty much the definition of stretching the field? He's proven himself to be a deep threat. That's good enough to make DCs cover him. Mission accomplished.

Losing Roby might be the bigger hit. He's been a special teams ace for us as our gunner. But that player needn't be a receiver. They just need to be fast, and have a willingness to get to the guy with the ball. I think we can all agree that much needs to be done with special teams, anyway.

Drew has shown that he's a master at racking up the points, pretty much with whatever supporting pieces he's given. But last year should have proven that offense alone doesn't win as many games as we need to to hit the post season.The

The answer is clear.

Fix the defense. At least enough so that Drew doesn't have to carry the entire franchise on his back.

If we sign Victor Butler I could see us drafting Patterson. Look what two elite receivers does for Atlanta.

Darrius Heyward-Bey has never had a good QB, at the league min, he might be worth a try

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom