Next Year might be rough (1 Viewer)

I’m not so much worried about the talent next year. More so the odds and intangibles, we were a super bowl team last year and this year. Last year we came up short due to our own undoing, this year due to a no call. Unless you’re the Patriots, to get close three straight years in the NFL is really hard. We can’t account for things like injuries, or bad calls (lololol). You have to strike when you get your shot and unfortunately thanks to a missed tackle and missed call, we didn’t. I believe we have the talent to contend, but nothing is guaranteed and eventually in this league your luck runs out. Hopefully not next season but if it does...oh well I guess.

Of course Drew's play has declined. He's 40! We all knew that at some point age was going to catch up with him. Seems like time finally caught up with him from the Dallas game onward.

But I'm not counting this team out just yet. They got up off the canvas after one of the most devastating losses in sports history and nearly made it to the Super Bowl. This team has true grit. They play with so much heart and passion and I'm damn proud of them. If we can bring in a few more WRs and a TE we could absolutely make another run. A lot of thing would have to go right but it's possible.

Drago! Perfect^

We will be fine. Just played a great team and we’re right there and we were banged up with injuries. We will need to make some moves but not an overhaul. Rams made a ton that panned out. Hopefully in the off season they don’t do to much more. I’m just not sure with Atl healthy if we can get the 1 seed anymore

Might have to use Taysom Hill more next season as substitute next season and let Brees go to the sideline.

I’m really scared about these next few seasons. You look back at Cleveland back in the 80s. They never recovered from the drive and the fumble.

I am really NOT scared about the team going forward from some type of mental outlook standpoint. I mean, look at my avatar and the intense focus. Do you think DFB, Payton, Jordan, and Demario Davis are going to let their teammates fall into some type of loser mentality?

I'm more scared from the lack of draft picks, FAs, money standpoint.

74.4 % completion rate (best of his career)
8.2 yards per attempt (only 09 and 11 are better years)
115.7 QB rating (best of his career by a good bit)
7 game winning drives and 6 fourth quarter comebacks (easily the best of his career)

That's not a decline.

His QB rating has been climbing since 2015 (each year better than the previous).

Last 36 games

72 total touchdowns
17 total turnovers

Protecting the ball better than any time of his career (he'd averaged slightly over 1 turnover a game in his career before this highly efficient run he's been on for 2+ seasons worth of football). His normal trendline over that 36 game stretch would have projected roughly 40 turnovers, given his career average, as a reference point.

If that's a decline, then by all means keep declining.

Saints will be fine...this wont carry over and next years team is a whole new team so if we don't make it its not because of what happened the year before....we limped into the playoffs and almost made it to the Super Bowl, next year we come back and we solidify the TE position add tot he WR position and we are right back in it,,,,the Saints don't need much in regard to additions.

Sorry OP, but you need to get your eyes checked if you think Drew looks like the Peyton Manning corpse that won the 2015 superbowl. I posted this eight days ago about Drew's supporting cast on offense, and everything I saw yesterday confirmed it:
Drew's deep passing produces his best results. Still. And he's the top-rated passer in the league. Again. I'll take that "decline" anytime.

Some people might not like to hear it, but Drew's surrounding cast still isn't all that great on offense. Our offensive line is last among all playoff teams (and 20th in the league this year) in pass block win rate, but Drew mitigates this fact by getting the ball out in 2.59 seconds, which is .04 seconds from leading the league. Drew also leads the league (and it's not close) in completion % above expectation, because - you guessed it - he leads the league in completion % on tight window throws. Why does he lead the league on tight window throws? Because our pass receivers really aren't that great at getting open. Michael Thomas makes up for it with HOF-level hands & catch radius, but as we all know, he's been fairly close to a lone ranger out there this year and it's not like he's much of a threat to get behind the secondary.

Scratch a little deeper than the surface, y'all. Drew is who we thought he was. If we add a stud TE next year, and a better threat at WR2, look out.

For those of you convinced that Drew has significantly declined:
  1. We really won't know the answer to this question until we have a TE/WR receiving core that is at least league average (there's a reason we were searching for a WR2 all year folks)......
  2. ......and an offensive line that stays healthy enough that we don't have to run out 6 or 7 different combinations in the same freaking game. By the way, we rushed for 2.3 yards per carry yesterday.
  3. And if #1 and #2 are resolved and Drew turns out not to be MVP-level at his position, are we really complaining about having a QB that is.....top 5? Top 10?
We're all hurting today and a little off-kilter with emotions, but this team will make another run next year.

Demario Davis said it best, next year they "have to build the house all over again." That is a tall task and easier said than done.

It's definitely time to find Brees's replacement. Brees made a few bad throws, but the OLINE went from the best in the league to just average due to injuries. You could tell a big drop off after the Dallas game. The offense never was the same. Our D is legit and Loomis will find a way to land a few good free agents. The schedule is tough next year, but it was this year too. We'll be in it again next year, but it is time to look past Brees. Next year is likely his last.

Saints will be fine...this wont carry over and next years team is a whole new team so if we don't make it its not because of what happened the year before....we limped into the playoffs and almost made it to the Super Bowl, next year we come back and we solidify the TE position add tot he WR position and we are right back in it,,,,the Saints don't need much in regard to additions.

Agree. OL hurt, players on IR, and out because of injuries. I don’t know why injuries always come back to bite us.

I think next year will say a lot about the your team. Some teams come back motivated more than ever to win, 95 Cowboys, others seem to implode, 2017 Jags. I think the saints should be in position to do well next year the main thing is they have strong line play. Key day Brews takes a step back you still have a good running game. I don't know about your cap numbers and FA's do that could be an issue. As far as draft picks if they are in a win now mode how much does the 29th pick help a team that year. Yes there are times but more times than not they don't bake a huge impact

The issue is this team has already come back from a devastating loss to end their playoff run, but now to do it two years in a row is a daunting task.

74.4 % completion rate (best of his career)
8.2 yards per attempt (only 09 and 11 are better years)
115.7 QB rating (best of his career by a good bit)
7 game winning drives and 6 fourth quarter comebacks (easily the best of his career)

That's not a decline.

His QB rating has been climbing since 2015 (each year better than the previous).

Last 36 games

72 total touchdowns
17 total turnovers

Protecting the ball better than any time of his career (he'd averaged slightly over 1 turnover a game in his career before this highly efficient run he's been on for 2+ seasons worth of football). His normal trendline over that 36 game stretch would have projected roughly 40 turnovers, given his career average, as a reference point.

If that's a decline, then by all means keep declining.

Brees has not declined statistically, but that pass to John Johnson looked a lot like deteriorated arm strength.

Last edited:
I’m really scared about these next few seasons. You look back at Cleveland back in the 80s. They never recovered from the drive and the fumble.
Whoa now. It's not like we're the Falcons that blew a 28-3 lead or something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom