NFC #1 Seed Upgrade Report Card... (1 Viewer)

YeaSaintsWin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
At some point, fans need to see this Saints team for what it is. When I look over the NFC landscape, none of last year's playoff teams improved more than the Saints. The Rams, Bears and Cowboys aren't making major moves. And, if your team is winning your division, why would you make major changes? By contrast, as the NFC #1 Seed, how hard would it be to make the team better?

First, secure quality depth at QB? Bridgewater-check.. Improve at WR? Curtis Johnson will get it done-check.. Improve the interior DL and pass rush? Davenport, Brown, Edwards and Jordan-double check!! The Saints are the only team that needed roster upgrades and we got some good ones. And, after the Draft in 2018, the buzz was that the Saints released players "who could play" on other teams. Well, look at us in 2019 signing players who were "starting" on other teams. In April, the Saints will be drafting for depth in a very good DL-WR-TE rookie class.

Okay, haters, we still need to win the games in 2019. And, to the guys saying the road won't be easy, I say it wasn't easy last season. The Saints went 13-3 by beating the toughest teams in the NFC. Only two teams (NYG and Tampa Bucs) who will draft in the Top 10 next month were on the Saints schedule. The Saints were winners beating winners.

In 2017, the Saints ended two wins from the Super Bowl.. 2018, one win.. 2019, do I dare say it?

Hallelujah!! The Football Gods are Loving the Saints!!

GO Saints!!

At some point, fans need to see this Saints team for what it is. When I look over the NFC landscape, none of last year's playoff teams improved more than the Saints. The Rams, Bears and Cowboys aren't making major moves. And, if your team is winning your division, why would you make major changes? By contrast, as the NFC #1 Seed, how hard would it be to make the team better?

First, secure quality depth at QB? Bridgewater-check.. Improve at WR? Curtis Johnson will get it done-check.. Improve the interior DL and pass rush? Davenport, Brown, Edwards and Jordan-double check!! The Saints are the only team that needed roster upgrades and we got some good ones. And, after the Draft in 2018, the buzz was that the Saints released players "who could play" on other teams. Well, look at us in 2019 signing players who were "starting" on other teams. In April, the Saints will be drafting for depth in a very good DL-WR-TE rookie class.

Okay, haters, we still need to win the games in 2019. And, to the guys saying the road won't be easy, I say it wasn't easy last season. The Saints went 13-3 by beating the toughest teams in the NFC. Only two teams (NYG and Tampa Bucs) who will draft in the Top 10 next month were on the Saints schedule. The Saints were winners beating winners.

In 2017, the Saints ended two wins from the Super Bowl.. 2018, one win.. 2019, do I dare say it?

Hallelujah!! The Football Gods are Loving the Saints!!

GO Saints!!

Excited about our FA signings, but DL is a weak spot compared to last yr. Rankins will be lucky to only miss 6 games and who knows how long DO will be suspended plus we lost AO.

Excited about our FA signings, but DL is a weak spot compared to last yr. Rankins will be lucky to only miss 6 games and who knows how long DO will be suspended plus we lost AO.
Upgraded from Davison to Brown, got a better fit for the roster for Edwards over Okafor at a much better price. I certainly wouldn't call DL a "weak spot."

We're also not done yet.

But what about Safety?
Not worried at all about replacing 20 mediocre snaps a game from Coleman. I expect them to let Banjo play a little more, and the staff likes J.T. Gray. I figure we will sign a bargain FA to compete and provide insurance at the position.

Upgraded from Davison to Brown, got a better fit for the roster for Edwards over Okafor at a much better price. I certainly wouldn't call DL a "weak spot."

We're also not done yet.

Brown is an upgrade over Davison, period. Brown is a good NT but he can also play 3T. Davison can't do that.

Edwards is not an upgrade to Okafor. Davenport is the uber upgrade to Okafore. Would you deny that?

Brown, Edwards, Davenport and Jordan can all play multiple positions on the DL. Neither Okafor or Davison could be used in multiple positions. The DL has been upgraded and, I believe, another player is coming from the draft.

GO Saints!!

I think the Rams made some moves but I like what we have done. Both things can be true.

If David Onyemata gets more than a game or two suspension I'd be surprised. I could be mistaken, but I believe his "ticket" amounts to a player conduct violation and not the more serious drug violation as he didn't actually fail a drug test or test positive for cannabis. However, he is a Saint and we know how much the league just loves us so we'll see.

I'm still a bit concerned about the OL and number 2 WR. However, adding Cook will help a lot and take some pressure off MT and AK.

The Saints team is great and IMO it got far more solid. One of our biggest weaknesses last year was not having a weapon outside of Kamara/Thomas. Cook will change that, all our rookie WRs having another year in the system and Meredith having another year healthy will change give Brees a lot more options.

The difference is in 2018 everything went our way (except for the NFCCG): Our division had an unusually down year. We won most of our close games. We were relatively uninjured in comparison to prior years. We'll be in the playoffs, of that I have 0 doubts. But there's no guarantee those 3-4 swing games won on a pivotal play will all swing our way. We have no guarantee we'll not be hit by massive injuries as we usually are, we have no guarantee that our division opponents won't be good as they usually are. I think Atlanta will challenge us hard next year. They have too good of a roster to suck so much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom