NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas considers Saints SS Roman Harper a candidate for release (1 Viewer)

I'd rather keep the pick we have, get a pass rusher and keep Harper.

Well im not a fan of picking passrusher or nose tackles early in drafts because the bust potential is there.

Prime examble

Derrick Morgan
Vernon Gholston

Two guys that were basically sure shots....especially morgan i remember that draft.

Several years later and the Titans are still in need of an edge rusher.

Im not opposed to keeping harper i just threw that out there about the trade..but as far as taking a passrusher first. IF i was a GM with a draft this deep......id find one later and grab an OLB in FA.

Thats just my opinion though.

For example...plenty of people want Dion Jordan with the 1st pick.

Michael Buchanan is 6'5 250, had similar production last year to Jordan and has just as much potential

Yet...hes likely a 2nd day pick....

Now in 3 years how will you feel about that 1st pick if Buchanan out performs Dion Jordan but was a 4th round pick?

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but my point it id rather go another direction than passrusher with the 1st pick, and im clearly a Matt Elam fan. I think he is the closest thing to Troy P in this draft.........wouldn't u want that on ur team?

Ever notice how the articles this guy writes that are favorable to the Saints make him pulitzer worthy while all others make him a hack devoid of talent?

not really. dont read him much. just happen to click it

He wasn't "picked" he was a replacement player. Do you think Brees would say he is a pro-bowler this year because someone is hurt or doesn't want to play? This constant refrain that Harper is a two time pro bowler is a joke. He is a two time player in the pro bowl because nobody else wanted it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ever notice how the articles this guy writes that are favorable to the Saints make him pulitzer worthy while all others make him a hack devoid of talent?

1. Sit Down
2. Log In
3. Make Angry Stuff Up
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Your numbers are way off... Here is a link to Harper's contract.

It'd be a $3.5 million cap hit this year if we release or trade him and a $1.75 million cap hit this year and next if we designate him a June 1st cut.

He has a cap number of $7.1 million this year, $7.9 million next.

He can restructure his $5.25 million base salary to a signing bonus which would decrease his cap number by $2.5 million this year but increase it by the same amount next year.

It is worth discussing because we are $20 million over cap with a left tackle to sign.

Thanks for your input, now go down to the bottom below his yearly numbers and read the part that says $16 million dollars guaranteed.

My numbers aren't off, most ppl just don know how to understand an nFL contract. Trust me its 4 million this year and 4 million next year

1. Sit Down
2. Log In
3. Make Angry Stuff Up
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Angry? ROFLMAO. If telling the truth as I see it is angry then so be it. BTW, like everyone else I am always logged in and I haven't figured out how to turn my love for this team into a profitable venture but if I do I will not hesitate.

Thanks for your input, now go down to the bottom below his yearly numbers and read the part that says $16 million dollars guaranteed.

My numbers aren't off, most ppl just don know how to understand an nFL contract. Trust me its 4 million this year and 4 million next year

You are absolutely wrong. You should check out the current rules on salary cap proration and how June 1 plays into that. Then maybe you will understand an NFL contract.

Veterans Jonathan Vilma, Roman Harper and Will Smith all have high cap figures and could be released or restructured.

Vilma may end up restructured since Payton sees a place for him, but it will also depend on how Ryan sees him. Smith is gone. He doesn't fit a 3-4 scheme. He COULD get restructured and they may try him at OLB, but I doubt it. Harper may end up restructured, but I'm starting to doubt it since the talk of keeping Vilma started. Just can't afford them both.

Thanks for that late hit on steve smith ill always love you for that ...but bye

Vilma may end up restructured since Payton sees a place for him, but it will also depend on how Ryan sees him. Smith is gone. He doesn't fit a 3-4 scheme. He COULD get restructured and they may try him at OLB, but I doubt it. Harper may end up restructured, but I'm starting to doubt it since the talk of keeping Vilma started. Just can't afford them both.

Can we find a way to keep Vilma's head and Harper's neck? :hihi:

Per this article New Orleans Saints' defensive salary-cap figures for 2013 | NOLA.com, here are a few options for creating cap space:
DE WILL SMITH
Signed through: 2014
2012 salary cap number: $5.3 million
2013 cap number: $14.5 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $10.2 million
If released: Saints would be charged $6.8 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014
LB JONATHAN VILMA
Signed through 2013
2012 salary cap number: $4.9 million
2013 cap number: $8.6 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $6 million
If released: Saints would be charged $2.6 million in pro-rated signing bonuses in 2013
LB DAVID HAWTHORNE
Signed through: 2016
2012 salary cap number: $1.5 million
2013 cap number: $4.8 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $4 million
If released: Saints would be charged $3 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014
S ROMAN HARPER
2012 salary cap number: $6.4 million
2013 cap number: $7.1 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $5.4 million
If released: Saints would be charged $3.5 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014
LB CURTIS LOFTON
2012 salary cap number: $1.7 million
2013 cap number: $7.1 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $6.1 million
If released: Saints would be charged $4 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014
CB JABARI GREER
Signed through: 2015
2012 salary cap number: $4.6 million
2013 cap number: $5.4 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $4.1 million
If released: Saints would be charged $4 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014
DT BRODRICK BUNKLEY
2012 salary cap number: $1.6 million
2013 cap number: $4.7 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $3.8 million
If released: Saints would be charged $3.6 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014
LB WILL HERRING
Signed through: 2013
2012 salary cap number: $1.7 million
2013 cap number: $1.9 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $1.6 million
If released: Saints would be charged $333,000 in pro-rated signing bonus in 2013
LB CHRIS CHAMBERLAIN
2012 salary cap number: $1.1 million
2013 cap number: $1.45 million
2013 salary plus bonuses: $1.05 million
If released: Saints would be charged $800,000 in pro-rated signing bonus over 2013 and 2014

Well im not a fan of picking passrusher or nose tackles early in drafts because the bust potential is there.

Prime examble

Derrick Morgan
Vernon Gholston

Two guys that were basically sure shots....especially morgan i remember that draft.

Several years later and the Titans are still in need of an edge rusher.

Im not opposed to keeping harper i just threw that out there about the trade..but as far as taking a passrusher first. IF i was a GM with a draft this deep......id find one later and grab an OLB in FA.

Thats just my opinion though.

For example...plenty of people want Dion Jordan with the 1st pick.

Michael Buchanan is 6'5 250, had similar production last year to Jordan and has just as much potential

Yet...hes likely a 2nd day pick....

Now in 3 years how will you feel about that 1st pick if Buchanan out performs Dion Jordan but was a 4th round pick?

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but my point it id rather go another direction than passrusher with the 1st pick, and im clearly a Matt Elam fan. I think he is the closest thing to Troy P in this draft.........wouldn't u want that on ur team?

Ifs buts candy n nuts.

We need a passrush FIRST.....you know, like the one we havent had in 3 yrs and the one Troy P DID have. Besides, in my lifetime, ALOT of players didnt pan out as #1 picks, so much so, if I used that Gholston criteria, I couldnt draft ANYBODY in the 1st rd!

Moreover, if we are keeping Harp, MJ, IQ and Bush, why draft ANY safety, even Elam, so high?????

Dat dont eeen make no sense!!!!! :jpshakehead:

Again, IMO, our draft options will start with what we do with Bushrod. If we dont re sign him, then what? Replace him with Charles Brown, who cant stay on the field for more than 8 games in 3 years, to protect Drews blindside, or some nickel and dime vet backup LT as a FA?

Sorry, I'll pass. :hihi:

We may have to take a LT at 15. Lane Johnson is likely to be there, so we'll have to move on him. But Id MUCH rather have JB back so we can take a player on D......a passrusher!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom