Nfl announces 32 compensatory draft choices to 16 clubs (1 Viewer)

If you take a look at the top 5 players the Saints signed/lost last year it's easy to see why we didn't get any picks:
Lost: Nicks (5 yr $47.5 million), Meachem (4 yr $26 million), Tracy Porter (1 yr $4 million), Dunbar (2 yr $3 million)
Signed: Grubbs (5 yr $36 million), Lofton (5 yr $27.5 million), Bunkley (5 yr $25 million), Hawthorne (5 yr $19.5 million), Chamberlain (3 yr $4 million)

The Saints only lost two big-time free agents last season: Meachem and Nicks. Neither had significant playing time and neither received any post-season awards. They both made lots of money, but that is only one part of the equation that determines compensation.

THEREFORE, THE SAINTS DID NOT RECEIVE ANY COMPENSATORY PICKS.

There isn't any scandel here folks.

Next year, if Bushrod gets significant playing time and offseason awards, that will work in the Saints favor in gaining comp picks. But then again, they have already signed Keenan Lewis, and probably aren't done yet with free agency. If the Saints sign Lewis and Asomugha...they will NOT receive any comp picks. You have to lose more than you gain to get comp picks.
It's even easier then that.

We signed 5 free agents, we lost 4.

The.end.

If you sign more than you lose, you get none. If we had signed 3, lost 4, we'd get one draft pick. If we signed 0 and lost 4 we'd get 4. See how simple this is folks?

So when your panties are getting bunched next offseason and you're demanding we sign someone, remember this.

Oh and at this point I seriously doubt well get compensatory picks again.

We've lost two (Bushrod and Daniels) and already signed two (Lewis and Warson). So come to terms with it now. We will receive no compensatory picks next year and its our own fault.

It's even easier then that.

We signed 5 free agents, we lost 4.

The.end.

If you sign more than you lose, you get none. If we had signed 3, lost 4, we'd get one draft pick. If we signed 0 and lost 4 we'd get 4. See how simple this is folks?

So when your panties are getting bunched next offseason and you're demanding we sign someone, remember this.

There has to be more to it than quantity vs quantity though, right? The contract numbers, playing time, and performance matter too I think. Suppose we signed 3 scrubs to small deals and lost Jimmy G and Brees. I would think we would deserve something for that (besides a hug).

We've lost two (Bushrod and Daniels) and already signed two (Lewis and Warson). So come to terms with it now. We will receive no compensatory picks next year and its our own fault.

Would you give up a key veteran for a late pick? The fo isn't stupid.

Just because it's February....... doesn't make a comp pick better than the guy signed in his place.

Out of curiosity.. who were the last couple of worthwhile players that we drafted with comp picks?

What's the time frame where a FA counts?

i.e. Ellis has no market right now, but if someone signs him, is it still a loss? Or only for the first part of Free Agency??

We also lost Casillas.

So, we're down three and up two. (or three, forget if Humber was on the team last year or not)

What's the time frame where a FA counts?

i.e. Ellis has no market right now, but if someone signs him, is it still a loss? Or only for the first part of Free Agency??

We also lost Casillas.

So, we're down three and up two. (or three, forget if Humber was on the team last year or not)

Forgot about Casillas, good call. Humber was a resign I believe, so he doesn't count against.

I'm not sure what the time frame is. I know it's before the draft, but not sure exactly when. Generally speaking the FA market dies down pretty soon anyways until the draft, so it'll be a moot point soon.

If we don't sign anyone else we may get a pick or two. Probably low round.

As best I could tell from a quick run through the drafts, since Colston, the Saints' only compensatory pick has been Nate Bussey in 2011. Looking at the bright side, that's a statement about the team's ability to sign quality free agents, which is especially nice to consider when you think about where we were in 2005.

Add: going back a few years, Saints also used compensatory picks for Colby Bockwoldt in 2004, Chad Morton and Sherrod Gideon in 2000.

Ravens are going to get a **** load of picks next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom