NFL being like WWE in that officials controls games? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So I saw someone say in another thread that it's almost like the NFL is like the WWE in the way the officials are controlling the outcome to the games.

Well honestly I've always wondered that. But if the NFL is truly legit then I would like to see them implement instant replay the way the Arena league does it to where those watching on TV can listen to what the ref is saying and describing the play as he is reviewing it. Also I think communications between the ref and the replay officials should be accessible live and after the game. Cause who really knows what the ref is being told in the head set? He could be told to make the ruling a certain way especially during all the close call replays.

I don't know, I just like how the AFL does their replay to where we can watch and hear the ref review the play.

From THE PROOF: Five Facts - The Fix Is In

"While we call these leagues "sports," they are in fact businesses. Their business is entertainment. The NFL, for one, has actually argued this fact before the Supreme Court as recently as 2010. Being "entertainment," the leagues are legally entitled to do what is needed to entertain their audience, such as the creation and promotion of certain "storylines." Despite arguments to the contrary, this makes the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL on par with Roller Derby and Professional Wrestling.

The Sports Bribery Act of 1964 which was passed to protect the "integrity" of sports from mafia and gambling interests. It reads: "Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

The key word in this law being "bribery." If a league instructs one of its employees -- be it an official, coach or athlete -- to influence and/or manipulate an outcome in a certain manner, such action does not break this law.

No one has been arrested for violating the Sports Bribery Act in relation to a professional sporting event -- ever."

So I saw someone say in another thread that it's almost like the NFL is like the WWE in the way the officials are controlling the outcome to the games.

Well honestly I've always wondered that. But if the NFL is truly legit then I would like to see them implement instant replay the way the Arena league does it to where those watching on TV can listen to what the ref is saying and describing the play as he is reviewing it. Also I think communications between the ref and the replay officials should be accessible live and after the game. Cause who really knows what the ref is being told in the head set? He could be told to make the ruling a certain way especially during all the close call replays.

I don't know, I just like how the AFL does their replay to where we can watch and hear the ref review the play.

Thank you for getting "it." The thread was very serious regarding the players and the stats and who is deserving and who may or may not win.

But the real point of all that was to shine a (poorly written) satirical light at the NFL and their tomfoolery.

From THE PROOF: Five Facts - The Fix Is In

"While we call these leagues "sports," they are in fact businesses. Their business is entertainment. The NFL, for one, has actually argued this fact before the Supreme Court as recently as 2010. Being "entertainment," the leagues are legally entitled to do what is needed to entertain their audience, such as the creation and promotion of certain "storylines." Despite arguments to the contrary, this makes the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL on par with Roller Derby and Professional Wrestling.

The Sports Bribery Act of 1964 which was passed to protect the "integrity" of sports from mafia and gambling interests. It reads: "Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

The key word in this law being "bribery." If a league instructs one of its employees -- be it an official, coach or athlete -- to influence and/or manipulate an outcome in a certain manner, such action does not break this law.

No one has been arrested for violating the Sports Bribery Act in relation to a professional sporting event -- ever."

.....and there you have it folks. At least the WWE is open and honest about their deception.

After the Saints game win or lose football is done until next Sunday. it is bad when you hold your breath sometimes for 4 or 5 seconds after a play expecting a flag. Now the players have started acting like fools throwing their hands up for a flag every time they don't like the call on the field. I would love to see today's players play in a era where football players wouldn't help each other up and smile like they are long lost friends. The game has evolved but not for the better. I really don't see myself watching football within the next few years if it doesn't change and I have this feeling I personally will not.

Cause who really knows what the ref is being told in the head set? He could be told to make the ruling a certain way especially during all the close call replays.

The NFL wont do anything that could hurt the business like that. You are asking for true integrity of the game where there is absolutely none. Dont hold your breath on that one.

On the other hand, I just can't help but think there isn't a "code red" about keeping games close, although you might not think so after the flag on Fairley last week. I guess the desire to "make the game safer" takes precedence.

Having said that, if he was going to get flagged, Fairley should have done a lot better job body slamming the guy.

I also like what some rugby leagues do. The all refs are mic'd the whole game so people know what they are saying and what the reasoning is for penalties and stuff.

I'd do away with pass interference and holding, they're both subjective to a large degree.

Let people play football!

Also, I would lessen the amount of equipment players wear. They run into people head-on at full speed because they think they're invincible.

Less protection, not more is the way to lessen injuries.

Don't push this theory too hard. We got a lot of good calls to win the storybook 2009 NFCCG.

It's scary that so many people think the NFL is rigged.

Our politics has poisoned our minds.

We don't believe anything anymore.

yet,on every Sunday,like lemmings to the sea .....

Not really. I haven't watched the last two Saints games. I have them on DVR and still haven't watched them. Decided to go play Golf last Sunday. Sunday before that I was on a flight. This is coming from someone that has spent the last 10 years watching the redzone channel on one tv and the Saints game on the other.

It's just not the same.

Threads like these used to get red thumbed and one starred to death. Now, not a red thumb to be found and 5 stars. There is little doubt the games are being over officiated and money is the best player in the league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom