NFL changing playoff format (4 Viewers)

I don’t think it’s that bad of an idea.
I just hate that the 2nd seeded team wont get a bye. Also hate that the 7th ranked team in the conference even gets a shot at the playoffs.

i dont mind the 17 game regular season though, as long as players get paid extra and there is 2 bye weeks. Are 2 bye weeks expected??!

It makes the regular season worth a lot less. Basically, right now the regular season means something because there are limited slots and only two bye teams. Now, you'd have to play a perfect season to get one week off, then your facing teams that have already prepared and knew that was the slot they would get. Saints fought hard to get the number 1 or 2 seed. in the new world, it will have been decided for all intents and purposes by week 12.

I think the double bye was a waste anyway. Adding an additional team in the mix is always good in my opinion. This also gives more teams to play for something towards the end of the season instead of a bunch of backups playing for no reason.

Same number of weeks played.

The #1 seed that much more coveted.

My biggest concern is how often a #1 seed will end up making it to the Super Bowl as they now would have a decided advantage over every other team in their conference, as opposed to a much smaller advantage over the 2 seed as it stands now.

The media talked about the saints PLENTY the last few years, nobody on this site is ever satisfied

My Dad ordered me to give up the Packers and become a Saints fan in 1967.
He bet on the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl (lost).
He bet on Minnesota in the Roger Staubach "Hail Mary" miracle game (lost).
Every time he bet for Dallas, they didn't cover.
Every time he bet against Dallas, they blew out the other team.
On a 10 game pick-em sheet, with $1,000 in 1970s money on the line, he hit 9 out of 10 . . . yep, Dallas screwed him again.
He finally swore off ever betting on any game involving Dallas, ever.
Birchin' about dem Cowgurls (tm Bobby Hebert) is a family tradition!

My Dad ordered me to give up the Packers and become a Saints fan in 1967.
He bet on the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl (lost).
He bet on Minnesota in the Roger Staubach "Hail Mary" miracle game (lost).
Every time he bet for Dallas, they didn't cover.
Every time he bet against Dallas, they blew out the other team.
On a 10 game pick-em sheet, with $1,000 in 1970s money on the line, he hit 9 out of 10 . . . yep, Dallas screwed him again.
He finally swore off ever betting on any game involving Dallas, ever.
Birchin' about dem Cowgurls (tm Bobby Hebert) is a family tradition!

No offense but I have zero compassion for people who try to express their betting woes as actual sports fan problems. I see it like this:

A. You could just not bet so that way you'll only need to worry about the outcome of games involving teams you have a sincere rooting interest in.

B. If losing those bets has such a significant impact on your life then you're an idiot for continuing to participate in a system proven to just rip off the average joe.

C. If the lost bets aren't actually harming your livelihood then you're just overreacting.

Sorry if I sounded like a butt crevasse. I just will never understand why people take something that's already as completely out of their own control and prone to fixing and likely to result in grief as sports is and pour further gas on that flame by letting their own finances become entwined with it.

Couldn’t care less. It would have made this past year less stressful for those stressed out over wanting the bye.

How bout start with the issue of sending better teams on the dang road in playoffs to play teams that feasted on a trashy division.

But how would you implement that? Maybe multiply a team's wins by their opponents' winning decimal and then rank teams using their respective products after those multiplications? For instance, a 13-3 team playing a weak .400 slate has a product of 5.2. Then a 10-6 team playing a .600 schedule has a product of 6.0. That's just off the top of my head and it seems like my proposal might place too much weight on strength of schedule but I'd be interested in hearing your or others' takes on what might be a good formula for involving SOS without making it have too much bearing on the overall process.

I don't like it either but watch how many of y'all are silent about it if the post-Brees Saints sneak in as a 9-7 7th seed in a few years.

Fun fact, in 1990, the first year the playoff field was increased from 5 teams to 6, the Saints made the playoffs as a really lackluster 6th seed with a record of 8-8.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom