NFL changing playoff format (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
.....The proposed CBA would last for 10 years and would give the players approximately 48 percent of the league’s revenue under the salary cap system during a 16-game season and 48.5 percent after a switch to a 17-game season. The regular season would be extended from 16 to 17 games at some point in the early stages of the new CBA, probably between the 2021 and 2023 seasons.....

Is my math wrong on this?, or this not how it works?

48% for 16 games comes out to 3% per regular season game

48.5% for 17 games is 2.85% per game

Shouldn’t it be 51% of total revenue (staying at the same 3%?)
No the overall revenue is going to go up by playing an extra game.

So they would have gotten 48% of that money in the old CBA. In the new CBA, they'll get 48.5% of all revenue generated.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
I guess I’m asking it the team’s talent or week off that is the determining factor?

If hypothetically for some reason the fifth and sixth seeds got the bye week would you still expect that 80% number to hold up?

I don’t, in that scenario I still think that the 1st and 2nd dominate because they are the better teams
The week off is highly determinantive of making it to the Super Bowl.

The second seed will not beat the 1 seed at the same rate it did since 1990, that's a fact. And I think the difference will be stark. Plus I think the 2 seed will make it to the conference CG much less often now.

Which means the 1 seed will be playing a lesser opponent more often in the championship game, allowing them an easier path to the Super Bowl.

They'll reverse this after the 10 year CBA is over.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How did the nfl handle existing contracts when they went from 14 games to 16?

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Whatever. Post childish crap like that cuz you've got nothin for a retort.
No, I'm just not into going in circles based on your stupid premise that I'm "satisifed" because I'm thankful for having one of the better teams in the league the last 14 years. If I had my way, we'd win a Super Bowl every year.

Tennessee Saints Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

The second seed will not beat the 1 seed at the same rate it did since 1990, that's a fact. And I think the difference will be stark. Plus I think the 2 seed will make it to the conference CG much less often now.

Which means the 1 seed will be playing a lesser opponent more often in the championship game, allowing them an easier path to the Super Bowl.

I hope a lot of this crap gets reversed when Godell gets out of office.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Lovie Smith’s coaching tenure in Chicago might not have ended had the Bears made the playoffs his final three seasons instead of missing out by one spot his last two years.

Playoff droughts in Cleveland and Tampa Bay wouldn’t be nearly as long or painful had the Browns and Bucs sneaked their way into the postseason as the third wild card in 2007 and ‘16, respectively.

The last two Super Bowl champions could have had a tougher time winning titles if Kansas City (2019) and New England (2018) had to play games on wild-card weekend instead of earning byes..........

slowchild25

happy in the haze
Reaction score

I don’t see them reversing it they will just up it to 8 teams and no byes.

JustaSharkie

... for nefarious reasons.
Reaction score
Arch of da Boot ... 3rd rock from the Sun
We should all keep in mind that the very same geniuses who thought it would be a capitol idea to place not one, but two, NFL teams in Los Angeles are now tinkering with the playoff scenario. Dumb ideas, based on a foundation of greed, could ultimately lead to the demise of the league itself. There is no rule.... or regulation..... or law-of-the-land that says the NFL must and will remain popular with the people, things like this are chipping away at that popularity.

Reaction score
One rule I wish they would change is that the division winner doesn't automatically get a home game. If they play a team with a better record, that team should get the home field advantage. Seeds should be based on records.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom