NFL changing playoff format (4 Viewers)

Same number of weeks played.

The #1 seed that much more coveted.

My biggest concern is how often a #1 seed will end up making it to the Super Bowl as they now would have a decided advantage over every other team in their conference, as opposed to a much smaller advantage over the 2 seed as it stands now.
Screenshot_2020-02-21-14-39-38.png

So that graphic supports my concern.

Nearly 80% of teams having received a bye since 1990 have made it to the Superbowl.

I contend that the number 1 seed under this new format will make it to the Super Bowl roughly 75% of the time. That is too distinct an advantage. Bad for the NFL.

So roughly every 4 years you'll have someone other than the 1 seed from each perspective conference reach the Super Bowl.

Is that what you want to see?

Last edited:

Nearly 80% of teams having received a bye since 1990 have made it to the Superbowl.

I contend that the number 1 seed under this new format will make it to the Super Bowl roughly 75% of the time. That is too distinct an advantage. Bad for the NFL.

So roughly every 4 years you'll have someone other than the 1 seed from each perspective conference reach the Super Bowl.

There’s a lot from the NFL I do t want to see but get anyway.

As long as the revenue keeps increasing trey will tinkering because there is no downside except for the long time fan.

Is it 80% of teams with a bye go to the super bowl?

Or 80% of the time one the best two teams in the conference is in the super Bowl?

If they took away byes completely I’d still expect to see the top seeds to win most of the time

Is it 80% of teams with a bye go to the super bowl?

Or 80% of the time one the best two teams in the conference is in the super Bowl?

If they took away byes completely I’d still expect to see the top seeds to win most of the time
The teams with the bye are by definition the two best teams in the conference, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

Up until now if you got one of the byes you made the Super Bowl nearly 80% of the time.

I contend now that since the number 2 seed has to play an extra game, the 1 seed will make the Super Bowl a great majority of the time and that's not good for football.

Is this a bad thing though? I have come around to liking this aspect of the change. The de facto regular season champion gets the big advantage.

As I indicated earlier in the thread, the general principle of a playoff is to give the best team the easiest path to the championship as possible. I think the team that earns the #1 seed deserves this major advantage over the rest of the field. It’s a quirk that kind of makes sense when you really think about it.

The teams with the bye are by definition the two best teams in the conference, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

Up until now if you got one of the byes you made the Super Bowl nearly 80% of the time.

I contend now that since the number 2 seed has to play an extra game, the 1 seed will make the Super Bowl a great majority of the time and that's not good for football.

I guess I’m asking it the team’s talent or week off that is the determining factor?

If hypothetically for some reason the fifth and sixth seeds got the bye week would you still expect that 80% number to hold up?

I don’t, in that scenario I still think that the 1st and 2nd dominate because they are the better teams

.....The proposed CBA would last for 10 years and would give the players approximately 48 percent of the league’s revenue under the salary cap system during a 16-game season and 48.5 percent after a switch to a 17-game season. The regular season would be extended from 16 to 17 games at some point in the early stages of the new CBA, probably between the 2021 and 2023 seasons.....

Is my math wrong on this?, or this not how it works?

48% for 16 games comes out to 3% per regular season game

48.5% for 17 games is 2.85% per game

Shouldn’t it be 51% of total revenue (staying at the same 3%?)

No the overall revenue is going to go up by playing an extra game.

So they would have gotten 48% of that money in the old CBA. In the new CBA, they'll get 48.5% of all revenue generated.

I guess I’m asking it the team’s talent or week off that is the determining factor?

If hypothetically for some reason the fifth and sixth seeds got the bye week would you still expect that 80% number to hold up?

I don’t, in that scenario I still think that the 1st and 2nd dominate because they are the better teams
The week off is highly determinantive of making it to the Super Bowl.

The second seed will not beat the 1 seed at the same rate it did since 1990, that's a fact. And I think the difference will be stark. Plus I think the 2 seed will make it to the conference CG much less often now.

Which means the 1 seed will be playing a lesser opponent more often in the championship game, allowing them an easier path to the Super Bowl.

They'll reverse this after the 10 year CBA is over.

How did the nfl handle existing contracts when they went from 14 games to 16?

Whatever. Post childish crap like that cuz you've got nothin for a retort.

No, I'm just not into going in circles based on your stupid premise that I'm "satisifed" because I'm thankful for having one of the better teams in the league the last 14 years. If I had my way, we'd win a Super Bowl every year.

It wasn't broken, stop it.
Actually its broken like hell...

the entire divisional system fails
Combined with two conferences this system wont ever feature the two single best teams of the league in the SB

The week off is highly determinantive of making it to the Super Bowl.

The second seed will not beat the 1 seed at the same rate it did since 1990, that's a fact. And I think the difference will be stark. Plus I think the 2 seed will make it to the conference CG much less often now.

Which means the 1 seed will be playing a lesser opponent more often in the championship game, allowing them an easier path to the Super Bowl.

They'll reverse this after the 10 year CBA is over.

I hope a lot of this crap gets reversed when Godell gets out of office.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom