NFL.com draft profile blurb on Payton Turner (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
From his nfl.com draft profile:

"I wanted to keep him a secret after I saw him last year and that didn't happen. He's going to become a force." -- Scouting director for AFC team

Sounds like a Davenport clone.

Super athletic and potentially dominant edge rusher but needs to be coached up.

His 3 cone drill is nuts!
This is the number one metric for defensive ends.
Von Miller: 6.7 seconds
Payton Turner: 6.7 seconds at 6’6”!!! 270+

ESPN analyst Adam Schefter reports that some NFL executives believe Houston DL Payton Turner could go in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft.​

Turner weighed in at 6-foot-6, 268 pounds with absurdly long 35 3/8" arms and did not run the 40-yard dash at his pro day workout. His 3-cone drill of 6.70 seconds ranked in the 99th percentile of historical NFL defensive ends. The Cougars' standout DE ran a 4.25 short shuttle (84th percentile), banged out 23 bench reps and posted a 36" vertical jump (76th), all exceptional marks. Turner earned a superb 90.0 pass rush grade in 2020 according to PFF, and it's easy to see why he was able to dominate so thoroughly in the AAC after seeing these stellar testing marks, posting 10.5 TFL and five sacks in just five games this year. Schefter cites Turner's character, Medicals and length as being some of the traits that have caught the eye of NFL decision makers. He is shaping up to be a second-round mock that could get pushed into the first if things break right.”

He's nothing like Davenport. He's more like Cam Jordan, but apparently much quicker and faster.

Also 23 reps with arms that long is very impressive.
His athleticism mirrors that of Davenport. Arm length, all the freakish measurables.

That isn't Cam Jordan. Jordan is a talented football player. Not necessarily freakishly gifted.

If we could get Davenport to be the football player Cam is, he'd be the best edge rusher DE in all of football and the reason we gave up 2 first round picks for him.

From his nfl.com draft profile:

"I wanted to keep him a secret after I saw him last year and that didn't happen. He's going to become a force." -- Scouting director for AFC team

Sounds like a Davenport clone.

Super athletic and potentially dominant edge rusher but needs to be coached up.
I hope he isn’t a Davenport clone.

Could have gotten him in the second round. Not sure why Loomis and Payton thought he was worth a 1st round pick. Hope I am wrong.
I would hope they were trying to trade down but couldn't find a trade partner, only thing that makes sense to me. It is ok to draft a DE we get it with the loss of Hendrickson and Dav's injury history and Cam's age, but man we could have dropped 14 spots or so at least and still nabbed him. Again hoping there were no trade partners available.

We may have to check on NOFALCON he may be killing the neighbor's cat lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom