NFL.com Saints vs. Eagles preview (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092006/2009/REG2/saints@eagles

Check out the info under each of the tabs. Some nuggets:

Key matchup

New Orleans LB Jonathan Vilma vs. Philadelphia RB Brian Westbrook
If Donovan McNabb plays with his broken rib, you can be sure Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will have some blitzes in store for him. And Williams knows McNabb well from his four years with Washington.

Vilma is the centerpiece of Williams' defense in New Orleans. The Saints traded for him before the '07 season. He has good reactions, moves well in space, and competes hard every down. He had 132 tackles in 16 starts last year. In Week 1 vs. Detroit, Vilma had four tackles and a sack.

No matter who plays QB for Philadelphia, Westbrook is the player that can beat you. Westbrook may be the toughest matchup in the NFL for defenses. He can run inside or outside, is an outstanding receiver (he caught 90 passes in 2007) and will block in pass protection. And he's healthy after sitting out the preseason. Westbrook is very strong with great quickness.

-- Gil Brandt</B>

"Expect more fireworks from Brees
The Saints will face a quarterback making his first NFL start for the second week in a row. New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has added many new wrinkles for the Saints, including a 3-4 package and various blitz looks. But this team belongs to QB Drew Brees. He was never pressured last week against Detroit, and was almost flawless as a result. The Eagles will bring pressure, but Brees' movement in and out of the pocket will be enough to compensate.

-- Brian Baldinger"

McNabb will definately not play. I live in Philly and the rib that is fractured is diplaced and moves when he walks. He was having difficulty walking today. He probably won't play for three weeks. Eagles defense will be the toghest the Saints face this year. This game is a pick.

McNabb will definately not play. I live in Philly and the rib that is fractured is diplaced and moves when he walks. He was having difficulty walking today. He probably won't play for three weeks. Eagles defense will be the toghest the Saints face this year. This game is a pick.

damm :scared:

i hope you're right, all the nfl sites say that he's making progress

The rib is broken but they say once it starts to "stick" together, the pain and discomfort lessens greatly.. I was surprised to hear that this "sticking" happens very quickly. I don't think THIS SUNDAY quickly but we won't be without him for more than 2 games.

How much progress from a completely broken bone can one make in 4 days?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4481651&name=bell_stephania

This is an important distinction when it comes to fractures, because if it were just a crack or a stress fracture (in which there would be evidence of injury to the bone but not a complete separation), the healing time might be quicker. But when the bone is broken all the way through, it is essential to minimize movement in the area so the two ends can bridge together and heal. Since a rib cannot be effectively casted, the athlete must limit movement, including muscle contraction, to help protect the rib. As the doctors treating McNabb told Reid, the rib "has to get sticky." This stickiness is an indicator of the tissue healing. Once there is evidence that the two ends are intact enough that they are not moving, the doctors and the Eagles can consider allowing McNabb to increase his activity. Once McNabb is cleared for activity, it becomes an issue of pain tolerance and how effective McNabb can be as a quarterback in the presence of that pain.

Suffice to say that the process undoubtedly will take longer than the few days remaining until game time. Other evidence -- McNabb's not practicing Wednesday, backup Kevin Kolb's taking all the first-team snaps, the Eagles' signing of Jeff Garcia -- supports the notion that McNabb will sit out this week. From that point forward, it becomes a day-to-day assessment. The Eagles were wise to get insurance. Fantasy owners need to do the same thing.

So, the Eagles had less yards gained last week against the Panthers than the Lions had against us? WOW, that shows how good their D played and how bad their O played.

Seems like their blowout was very fluky.

Yeah... Jake gift-wrapped and handed the game to them.

This game is our measuring stick. The NFL was gracious enough to give us a gimme victory last week. The real season starts now. I really need to know if we can handle a physical defense before I have us over 8-8 this year.

WOW, that shows how good their D played and how bad their O played.

Seems like their blowout was very fluky.

The D wasn't a fluke

The offense only had the ball for 10 minutes in the first half. When the Eagles scored their first offensiive TD it was to go up 24-7. It was 31-10 at half. McNabb scored on the TD run mid-3rd quarter to make it 38-10.

It was a weird game for sure - but I wouldn't judge our offense by that one...not with a healthy McNabb anyway...we were 3 for 3 for TDs scored in the redzone (our problem a year ago)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom