NFL compares economy in Detroit to Katrina (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ubYF?slug=ap-blackoutpolicy&prov=ap&type=lgns

Maybe I'm overreacting here, but in this article, Howard Katz (NFL Senior Vice President for Broadcasting and Media Operations) was quoted as saying about the economy "To the person who lost his or her job in Detroit, this is every bit as difficult a situation to deal with as Katrina might have been in New Orleans."

Oh, really? Losing my job was just ONE of the things I had to worry about when Katrina hit.

He's getting an angry letter from me.

GEAUX SAINTS!

I dunno, my epic natural disaster is worse then your once in a lifetime economic shift doesn't come off as an argument I'd want to have.

I think the reference that he's making is that as the guy in Detroit loses his job, the entire city is financially barren. As the auto industry has fallen, it has left the economy in Detroit completely broken. Remember this article is dealing in ECONOMICS, not emotional distress.

I can see both sides on this. People losing thier jobs in Detroit, didn't lose everything they own (cars, pictures, furniture, houses, etc.) but they will soon enough if they dont get another jobs soon. Also, if you can't get a job in Detroit....MOVE!!

So compare it to the Dust Bowl or the Great depression, if it is an economics comparison compare it to an economics event not one of the worst Nat disaster in US history!

I see where he was going with the arguement, but it was pretty careless throwing Katrina in there. You would think the VP of media for the NFL would be a little smarter.

What I find ironic about the comparison is the number of pundits who still wonder about the viability of New Orleans hosting a Super Bowl (when we've had MANY high profile sporting events since Katrina. Heck, I hear they've even reopened the Super Dome) when I don't remember hearing any public doubts about Detroit's ability to host the SB, Final Four.

He's just making a reference, calm down.

I'm pretty much "Mr. Anti-overreaction" but that's load of crap. People need to be called to the carpet for these sorts of absurd and outright insulting "references". Republicans aren't "fascist", Obama isn't "Hitler", and not a damn thing about what's going on in Detroit appropriately compares to what we suffered with Katrina.

I guarantee you today, given not just socio-economic conditions but market size and metro-area size, New Orleans suffers under significantly worse disadvantages then Detroit. And we sell our games out.

Hey, I got a better reason why Detroit struggles to sell out, 4.5 - 11.5 average record this decade.

I can see both sides on this. People losing thier jobs in Detroit, didn't lose everything they own (cars, pictures, furniture, houses, etc.) but they will soon enough if they dont get another jobs soon. Also, if you can't get a job in Detroit....MOVE!!

I see it like this:

Guy in N.O. loses his home and the life he knows and asks "now what do I do?"

Guy in Detroit loses his 80K+ plus, skill specific job, and has watched the value of his home plummet to peanuts and asks "now what do I do?"

I can see the comparison. I agree that it's a bit of a reach, but I see his point.

Here was my response to this horrendous article:

To the person who lost his or her job in Detroit, this is every bit as difficult a situation to deal with as Katrina might have been in New Orleans,” Katz said

Are you serious? I don't recall seeing any dead bodies floating through the streets of Detroit. I don't remember the city being essentially shut down and people ordered to leave their homes, their families, their jobs, their LIVES!!! If you want to compare the two, then ask yourself how many of those people are leaving the city of Detroit for other areas?

I understand that each and EVERY city is going through tough times...not just Detroit/San Diego/Jacksonville. Everyone is having to tighten their belts and make sacrifices. What I'd like to know is what kind of sacrifices is the NFL making? I don't recall hearing about how any players, owners, or the league is having to take pay cuts. The NFL threatens to relocate teams when times get tough on their end. But if you want to broaden the fan base of the league (the business) then you better figure out a way to include them. Don't hold them hostage for all the years they paid your salary, the player's salary, the owner's salary, etc.

It amazes me how they have no problem asking for tax dollars or credits for their new stadiums, etc. But when the taxpayers are asking for a little concession...it's NO WAY!!

Howard Katz....you are an idiot with your analogy and an even bigger idiot holding your fans hostage!

So compare it to the Dust Bowl or the Great depression, if it is an economics comparison compare it to an economics event not one of the worst Nat disaster in US history!

Yes, but most people can't relate to the Dust Bowl or Great Depression, it's choosing something that is relevant to the time period.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom