NFL Competition Committee considering a wider football field [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

The CFL rule that I'd be most curious to see tried, perhaps in an exhibition game, would be the mandatory one yard between the offensive and defensive lines. In the short term, you'd see players hit each other harder because they'd be coming from further apart at the start of the play. But in the longer term, might it not promote smaller, more agile players who would rely more on speed and finesse to beat the offensive line? Part of the problem in the NFL now is that these guys are so big and powerful. A rule change like that could help push the league toward smaller, less powerful players, which would help with head injuries and such, I'd hope.

OMG...where in the haydees is this game going...OML:covri:

What the hell are you doing Roger?

Seriously though, why would you want to mimic an organization that has a fraction of the success yours does? That's like Ferrari trying to be like Ford. :covri:

i just laugh at this now. i thought the idea of getting rid of kick offs all together was laughable but this takes the cake.

Maybe by widening the field they're hoping that players will need to be faster and the trend toward bigger and bigger players will decline and therefor reduce injuries. Then they can start letting girls in their underwear officiate the games.

What the hell are you doing Roger?

Seriously though, why would you want to mimic an organization that has a fraction of the success yours does? That's like Ferrari trying to be like Ford. :covri:

Because they believe they're too big to fail. They're the biggest sport in the U.S. and they believe it will always be that way. They will soon find out that that isn't the case. Nothing lasts forever.

In fact, NFL ratings were down overall 2% in 2012 from 2011, and down 3% from 2010. This year's Superbowl also ended the trend of each subsequent SB beating the last in ratings that has happened over the last few years.

Maybe that means nothing. Then again, maybe it's a canary in the coal mine. Only time will tell. But they're going to have to realize that the combination of alternatively putting their head in the sand and then turning around and overreacting on player safety has cost them PR points. And they're also going to have to realize that nothing, not even the NFL, is too big to fail. Goodell's constant meddling, the lawsuits, the CTE research, it's all combined to make for one heck of a rough couple of years for the NFL PR wise. If I were them, I would take note of the dip in ratings. I would take note of the declining ticket sales and the blackouts and the empty seats covered with tarps. They're still obviously top dog by a wide margin, but so was baseball once upon a time.

Next two rules up are passing all over on punts kickoffs & interceptions, and losers walk after scores. Later we'll go to shirts versus skins when it becomes touch, and no rushing the QB until you count 5 Mississippi.

Would football stadiums even have the room to do this at their current size? Is this a way to hold cities for ransom for newer stadiums? Renovations?
This is what I was thinking too.:hmm: Another way to get more money out of season ticket holders & the state......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom