NFL Concussion Problem (1 Viewer)

ASaintFerLife

A Shining light of Truth
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Per this article : Y! SPORTS

I kinda sorta think he is right(although Im not a Deion Fan), that the concussion lawsuits are a money grab, and if you were not stupid and realized it was a violent game that you can and will get hurt it.

I mean hot brewed coffee is hot, DUHHHH, playing football you get hurt. Going over to war in Iraq and Afghan you might die, horribly.

How long in our country do we protect people from their own ignorance??

I have a sneaky sneaky feeling part of the bounty stuff our team endured was to give the NFL an additional leg to stand on saying older players had these programs in place for rewards for big vicious hits, so the pain was to thier monetary gain.

Who knows....

I don't think it's so much that they didn't know they could get hurt, but that they didn't know concussions linger and get worse later on.

I promise you that if they had known the dangers of concussions they still would have played through them

I promise you that if they had known the dangers of concussions they still would have played through them

I think they are saying the way concussions are dealt with today should have been implemented 30 years ago. In a twist of irony. The more the NFL does today to handle concussions might actually strengthen their case.

Let's see:
- 21 year old kid
- Ferrari and $20 million
- Fame
- All the gorgeous babes he could every dream of

hmmmmm. What about concussions........

If the post 1993 players negotiated away long term health care coverage in exchange for bigger contracts and self-care where does the real negligence lie? Maybe it's hearltless of me and I do hope treatment gets better to help other possible Junior Seaus out there but personally I don't know why someone should be rewarded for ignoring the consequences of thier past decisions.

The issue isn't that these players didn't know there was a physical risk associated with a physical game --

The issue is that for years the NFL refuted scientific research that linked football collisions to head injuries and the development of brain diseases and disorders. The league brought in their own "experts" to flood the research with contrary findings, which in turn, set back the implementation of safer practices for many years.

The league also embraced and exploited the violence of the sport. They marketed videos of "bone crushing" hits and knockout shots. They turned a blind eye to ESPN segements like "jacked up" and allowed a culture of reckless play to continue, unchecked for many years. They had some power to stop it or denounce the violence and instead they chose to profit form it.

The league has also gone to great lengths to reject assistance requests from NFL Alumni suffering from football related injuries. This isn't directly releated to the concussion lawsuits, but it highlights the disconnect the former players feel the NFL has for them and in some way can explain why so many former players are trying to get something from the league through lawsuits.

The players do have a responsibility, but the league also has a responsibility to provide as safe a work environment as possible. That is difficult in a full-contact sport, but it certainly doesn't help matters when the league resisted safety measures that were available.

The issue isn't that these players didn't know there was a physical risk associated with a physical game --

The issue is that for years the NFL refuted scientific research that linked football collisions to head injuries and the development of brain diseases and disorders. The league brought in their own "experts" to flood the research with contrary findings, which in turn, set back the implementation of safer practices for many years.

The league also embraced and exploited the violence of the sport. They marketed videos of "bone crushing" hits and knockout shots. They turned a blind eye to ESPN segements like "jacked up" and allowed a culture of reckless play to continue, unchecked for many years. They had some power to stop it or denounce the violence and instead they chose to profit form it.

The league has also gone to great lengths to reject assistance requests from NFL Alumni suffering from football related injuries. This isn't directly releated to the concussion lawsuits, but it highlights the disconnect the former players feel the NFL has for them and in some way can explain why so many former players are trying to get something from the league through lawsuits.

The players do have a responsibility, but the league also has a responsibility to provide as safe a work environment as possible. That is difficult in a full-contact sport, but it certainly doesn't help matters when the league resisted safety measures that were available.

I agree and I think today the NFl is safer then 25 years ago. But why is the NFL rejecting to the use of Kevlar Helmets and padding?

Per this article : Y! SPORTS
I mean hot brewed coffee is hot, DUHHHH, playing football you get hurt. Going over to war in Iraq and Afghan you might die, horribly.
How long in our country do we protect people from their own ignorance??

.Speaking of ignorance:

When you go to war, you know that a bullet, grenade, bomb, etc could end your life. You know that. A conscript is told in boot camp you need to kill your enemy before the enemy kills you. You have seen the consequences of bullet holes on a person's body in the news, tv, movies, maybe right in front of you, etc...

Hot coffee is hot, I take it it is a reference to the McDonald's case, read up on it, there's much more to it than you think.

And playing football, yes, you do get hurt. HOWEVER, there is a huge difference between all your bad analogies and concussions, and the effect of concussions have on the brain over time, the difference being that NFL doctors told players repeated concussions had no future consequences while having scientific proof they did. I don't think there's a doctor that would tell you a bullet hole in the head cannot kill you.

Do you want a relevant analogy? Smoking.

Absolutely, but they should have been told so by the NFL and the doctors on their payroll, instead of being lied about it, no? And maybe some of them would not have played, maybe some of them would not have played the way they did.

.Speaking of ignorance:

When you go to war, you know that a bullet, grenade, bomb, etc could end your life. You know that. A conscript is told in boot camp you need to kill your enemy before the enemy kills you. You have seen the consequences of bullet holes on a person's body in the news, tv, movies, maybe right in front of you, etc...

Hot coffee is hot, I take it it is a reference to the McDonald's case, read up on it, there's much more to it than you think.

And playing football, yes, you do get hurt. HOWEVER, there is a huge difference between all your bad analogies and concussions, and the effect of concussions have on the brain over time, the difference being that NFL doctors told players repeated concussions had no future consequences while having scientific proof they did. I don't think there's a doctor that would tell you a bullet hole in the head cannot kill you.

Do you want a relevant analogy? Smoking.

I have yet to see the actual reports from NFL researchers hiding evidence on concussions but here is my theory on the whole mess. The research being done back in the 80's and 90's were using retired players that did not play the game how it is played today. Those players did not have the modern helmet technology of today, therefore they didn't use the helmet as a weapon. Therefore, we didn't see the long term effects of concussions until those players who used the modern day helmets began to retire.

I don't think it's so much that they didn't know they could get hurt, but that they didn't know concussions linger and get worse later on.

Exactly BigRaiderFan,,,how many guys are quitting football this year on their own because they don't want to suffer the long term effects of concussions?

The NFL may have actually violated OSHA laws as they are written and enforced today. That is part of the basis of the lawsuit. An employer has a duty and obligation to take exceptional steps to ensure a safe work place. Even if the employer does not fully know the extent or consequences of the environment or actions they encourage or direct their employees, they can still be found negligent. Maybe not criminally negligent since the burden of proof is different, but surely negligent in a civil sense still the same.

Someone brought up the example of a war zone. Yes, war is violent and dangerous. Still, the military has the duty to provide the best and safest equipment possible to execute their mission.

My other question is what about concussions these players may have sustained when playing sports in high school or college. Has to be, and I'm sure will be, looked at on a case by case basis which will lengthen the time this litigation continues. My point is, tho, I hear little mention of it but will certainly mitigate the liability of the NFL however they may have tried to downplay it.

I'm certainly no fan of the spin doctoring NFL these days, but it's not like no one has known it's a violent sport since day one. Heck, doctors used to do ads for smoking and it was touted as having beneficial aspects.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom