NFL considering development league...Payton not a fan (1 Viewer)

With the seemingly higher amount of injuries we've been seeing lately, it would make sense to increase the amount of players on the roster and practice squads.

We've had to bring in 2-3 FA CB's off the street due to injuries this year.

I think what Payton is suggesting is that them having a developmental league would be an excuse for them to keep the current level of things as far as Thursday night FB among other things that put the players at greater risk by saying look you'll have more players to choose from in this developmental league while we rake in more money.

Could be wrong and one run on sentence away from being an idiot but just a thought.

I think what Payton is suggesting is that them having a developmental league would be an excuse for them to keep the current level of things as far as Thursday night FB among other things that put the players at greater risk by saying look you'll have more players to choose from in this developmental league while we rake in more money.

Could be wrong and one run on sentence away from being an idiot but just a thought.

Also an excuse to add more games.

Isn't that what the Browns are for?

Actually, without knowing if Payton said more, that might be the problem. I'd think they'd rather have more guys on the practice squad to teach them "their way" of doing football vs a developmental league that may not help the Saints out, since now they'd have more stuff to make the players unlearn.

I think a developmental league could work as long as it ran concurrent with the NFL season, as to avoid extra wear and tear on the going prospects. An 8 man league playing its games on Fridays.

Actually, without knowing if Payton said more, that might be the problem. I'd think they'd rather have more guys on the practice squad to teach them "their way" of doing football vs a developmental league that may not help the Saints out, since now they'd have more stuff to make the players unlearn.

Also a very valid point but that's already the case when these kids come out of college. They have to be taught new techniques and new ways of doing things so that's not a challenge that they don't already have to deal with.

Expand the Practice Squad, maybe tweak the rules for poaching players off other Practice Squads.

But the real answer is proper scouting. Look at the garbage tier organizations, and you can point to one constant problem: Scouting. The Browns aren't perpetually bad because they're in Cleveland, it's because they make bad draft decisions, and have a general lack of direction.

I feel like the NFL needs to look at its agreement with the NCAA, and find a way to better allow access for NFL scouts, in such a way that doesn't interfere or influence a "Student Athlete's" life (aren't NCAA buzz words fun?!).

It's also on the College teams. Given the opportunity to go to Clemson, or go to Alabama, you're Pro Prospects are better off in Tuscaloosa because Saban's systems translate better to the NFL, as opposed to Dabo Sweeney.

I honestly feel like Washington is on the verge of becoming a real consistent force in the PAC-12. Look at the last 5 NFL Drafts and look at how many players got drafted in the first 2 Rounds. Being a "Pro Factory" is a huge benefit for Recruiting

Thing is Cleveland doesn't have bad talent. Look at the number of former Cleveland players around the league. When they are well coached and in a place of consistency they tend to do
Well. The problem in Cleveland is the power structure/coaching/assistant coaching blows and is constantly changing. No one develops, there is no long term plan, no nothing. Look at what New Orleans went through the last few years 7-9s, and they have had a plan and stable coaching and a relatively stable and front office being held accountable. Even though the results may not be exactly what people want this year due to injuries is there anyone who cannot see the massive potential in this team now?

I would be a huge fan of expanding the practice squad instead. Some guys need time to physically develop, some coming from lower level competition may need time to develop technique, but look at the success stories out there of UDFA and very low draft picks that eventually do come around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just hope they somehow work in enough commercials to make it worth it :rolleyes: Once again I turned the game off last night.....just can't do it anymore.

Maybe they don't make a lot compared to stars, but the minimum practice squad salary is $6900 A WEEK. If they're on it all season they make over $117,000 dollars. That's a pretty big jump from "diddly"

Not to mention they could make close to another 20K if their team is in the playoffs for the duration

Whereas the minimum NFL rookie salary is $450,000. So these guys make (at most) a quarter of what (least paid) NFL rookies get. Of course that's only if they're lucky enough to remain on the PS all season long.

But they can get just as hurt. They can have the same career (or life) ending injury, at any time.

C'mon NFL. Increase the roster size. It's better for the players, it's better for the team. You can afford it.

I see nothing wrong with a development league for the NFL. As others previously stated,the drawback would be the risk for injury.

If it were to happen, I would like to see the rosters made up of guys who didn't make the rosters during preseason, UDFAs & players under 3 years of experience. That should be fun.

I didn't really understand Sean's position on this issue. He said that the "developmental league, I think, is just a way for more network programming." OK, I thought network programming was a major source of revenue for the league. Sean should wait for the proposals to be presented to the committee before he offers his increased practice squad solution. He should also wait and see if revenues can be increased with a developmental league.

Geographically assigned developmental teams, 1 team for 4 NFL teams.
For example, Giants, Jets, Buffalo & New England share one farm team.
Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami and Atlanta share 1.
Their expanded practice squads make up the developmental teams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom