NFL considering development league...Payton not a fan (1 Viewer)

msusaintsfan

All-Pro & Resident Ninja
Reaction score
Diamondhead, MS via Houston, Tx, via Starkville, M
Saints' Sean Payton not in favor of potential NFL developmental league | NOLA.com

Interesting. I would kinda like a development league, but the only way I think it could work is if each NFL team had its own development team that they could call up during the season like MLB. That would be over saturation though.

I do like the idea of expanding practice squad. I also would like to see all 53 active on gamedays.

What say you?

Expanding the practice squad could be nice. We already have college football and Canadian football for development.

Expanding the practice squad could be nice. We already have college football and Canadian football for development.

College has pretty much gone to spread offense which doesn't prepare O-line or QBs for the pros.

I think there's a similar problem with the CFL, but I don't know much about that league. NFL Europe was a place for college kids not good enough for the NFL to go so they could continue their football careers.

Arena league rules were just way too different from NFL for that to help except for a few kick returners and maybe kickers.

Biggest problem with a Bush-league would be the extra physical damage to the players. And you could bet these guys wouldn't be paid much. You can play baseball and basketball year round, but football... Not so much.

I was going to say don't forget the chargers. Some of our best players have been developed by the JV teams in San Diego and Cleveland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Football is such a violent sport, a development league seems awfully risky for the players.

Maybe we should just go ahead and develop sports-only Universities. Like, they don't get that Renaissance education - just study the game and spend time developing their bodies at a reasonable pace to prevent tendon damage and stuff. Like the Gladiators did.

Or else maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Expanding the practice squad is tolerable. But a better answer is increasing the 45/53 limits on the roster.

Practice squad players can be claimed by any team at any time. You risk losing all that development time - the chemistry, the knowledge of the playbook, etc. Start over.

Also, practice squad players get diddly for compensation. These guys are out there literally risking their lives. Compensate them like NFL players.

Expanding the practice squad is tolerable. But a better answer is increasing the 45/53 limits on the roster.

Practice squad players can be claimed by any team at any time. You risk losing all that development time - the chemistry, the knowledge of the playbook, etc. Start over.

Also, practice squad players get diddly for compensation. These guys are out there literally risking their lives. Compensate them like NFL players.

Maybe they don't make a lot compared to stars, but the minimum practice squad salary is $6900 A WEEK. If they're on it all season they make over $117,000 dollars. That's a pretty big jump from "diddly"

Not to mention they could make close to another 20K if their team is in the playoffs for the duration

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom