NFL NFL could lose up to 5.5 billion if games played in empty stadiums (1 Viewer)

That was going to be my first Saints game ever. That was the only thing that popped in my head when I first heard the Raiders were coming to Vegas haha
Having to wait 4 years for another Vegas. Weak

They’ll make it up in the next TV contract. No network will be willing to give the NFL up, so they can jack up the price.
That CBA players revenue kicker looking pretty worthless, right now.

NFLPA need to start going towards weighted votes on salary or years of service.

They’ll make it up in the next TV contract. No network will be willing to give the NFL up, so they can jack up the price.
The problem is most of the current TV rights contracts run through the 2022 season, with the lone exception of ESPN expiring after the 2021 season (iirc).

lose is probably the wrong word think they meant less think its only a loss if their is no profits only way they lose money if no games this season

I'm pretty sure the players get around ~50% of league revenues. Since the salary cap is around $198 million per team this year, and the teams have to spend 90% of that, that would mean team revenue should be roughly $400 mill. So a loss of $83 million per team would mean they have ~$120 million left over. Of course they are other expenses, notably coaches (maybe about $15 million all in), GM (another few mllion), other executives, support staff/scouts, media relations, etc. Maybe about $60 million or so other expense outside of players. So they are left with about $120 - $60 = $60 million.

The problem is most of the current TV rights contracts run through the 2022 season, with the lone exception of ESPN expiring after the 2021 season (iirc).
They’ll up the price when the time comes and FOX and CBS will gladly pay an increase.
Amazon or another streaming service would pay for MNF.

They’ll up the price when the time comes and FOX and CBS will gladly pay an increase.
While that may happen in the future, my point was the TV/streaming revenue for 2020, 2021 and (for most networks in) 2022 were set years ago... and the salary cap projections for those years took that revenue stream into account.

Since COVID, those projections are worthless. The cap is coming way down and teams must adjust accordingly.

Its amazing to think that just one game in the Dome brings in 70,000 times $100 (MINIMUM) or roughly $7 million. And we buy ten of those a year. People in that Dome collectively drop $70-$80 million in a season. Wow. And that doesn't include whatever they spend pre-gaming and tailgating.

Good point....and don't forget, the league can always say, give us a concession this season or we won't play. With limited college games, and probably limited high school at some point, the NFL could be broadcasting all weekend and networks would make a mint.

Good point....and don't forget, the league can always say, give us a concession this season or we won't play. With limited college games, and probably limited high school at some point, the NFL could be broadcasting all weekend and networks would make a mint.
If anything they can make up a few bucks this season by putting games on Saturday and charging FOX, CBS, and ESPN extra.

They'll lose even more if this virus doesn't get under control first. They've may just have to sacrifice this season if it means a better safety and on field product and experience for players and fans. Also right now i'm curious how will this ref. thing work out for games if there won't be to much traveling..?

I'm pretty sure the players get around ~50% of league revenues. Since the salary cap is around $198 million per team this year, and the teams have to spend 90% of that, that would mean team revenue should be roughly $400 mill. So a loss of $83 million per team would mean they have ~$120 million left over. Of course they are other expenses, notably coaches (maybe about $15 million all in), GM (another few mllion), other executives, support staff/scouts, media relations, etc. Maybe about $60 million or so other expense outside of players. So they are left with about $120 - $60 = $60 million.
Ever hear of medical costs?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom