NFL decides against issuing statement admitting error in Rams-Saints (1 Viewer)

It appears that way, but that actually makes it worse. It's clear that the call was missed, and the NFL waiting to issue a statement until they get the correct verbage can only appear as them trying to cover their butt
There is nothing at all wrong with a statement saying "During the NFC Championship game between the Saints and the Rams, officials failed to call a penalty for pass interference. The play in question was clearly interference, and a penalty should have been called on the play. The failure to call the penalty in this situation is unacceptable, and the league will review our procedures to make every effort to ensure that this type of error is not repeated in the future."
But isn't that the issue here? If they release a statement saying exactly that they aren't covering themselves at all because there IS a procedure in place to correct this. It is an unprecedented procedure, but there is something they can do. The wording will have to be to where enacting that rule is not in play.

It appears that way, but that actually makes it worse. It's clear that the call was missed, and the NFL waiting to issue a statement until they get the correct verbage can only appear as them trying to cover their butt
There is nothing at all wrong with a statement saying "During the NFC Championship game between the Saints and the Rams, officials failed to call a penalty for pass interference. The play in question was clearly interference, and a penalty should have been called on the play. The failure to call the penalty in this situation is unacceptable, and the league will review our procedures to make every effort to ensure that this type of error is not repeated in the future."

Oh there sure is something wrong with that statement. It admits the Saints should have won the game. Period. The NFL wants to fight that narrative as hard as they can.

So many bad calls and no-calls...

1548094063536.png
I've seen this posted endlessly on my FB and IG feeds from the "quit crying" crowd. There were quite a few missed calls on the Rams as well. But none rival the helmet-to-helmet PI missed call. That was pivotal because not only did it change the outcome of the game potentially, but it negates the whole "player safety" argument. It's always easier for someone to say "quit complaining" bogus stuff like this does not happen to their team.

I’m tired hearing about the Goff missed face mask!! He didn’t get knocked out the freaking game like our starting tight end Josh Hill. If the Rams had lost Tyler Higbee early in the game, they may not have come back to win it. That was huge blow to the team and had they added another 15 yards to that huge play who knows what happens on that drive!

Then the obvious 3rd down missed PI against Ted Ginn! Who knows what happens if that drive was able to continue. That would of just about put us in field goal range.

So if we would of gotten those calls and the Rams had gotten their calls, I still would have confidence that we win that game.

It is telling that the comments section is filled with nothing but angry people who aren't even Saints fans screaming at the absurdity of it, and anyone who tries to defend the call or the rams gets absolutely buried.

Everyone outside of los angeles and atlanta is calling this a travesty and a sham... NFL looks terrible right now and if one of these alternate leagues actually does things the right way, the "too big to fail" NFL could actually fail.

Not sure how effectively these new leagues will be able to compete, but one area they could really set a precedent is around using technology and common sense rules for officiating. If they are able to pull that off, and set an example on how to effectively protect the integrity of the game, the NFL will have no excuse for why they continue to use antiquated and subjective methods to keep the game "fair"

Eagles and Rams = 0 offensive holding. Chew on that for a second.

No way. That's horrible even after the officials were instructed about mid season to call O-line holding tighter. Smells like gutted dead mullet sitting out over night.

Thanks for digging up these stats - Great stuff or should I say "informative!"

Sorry but to me this makes them look even worse by not just coming out and saying so why would they do that? :unsure:

Any game has lots of calls that could go either way. The refs miss stuff, and sometimes they call something that looks like nothing.

But there are few calls as obvious to everyone or as consequential to the game as a blatant Pass Interference. That's why it's the harshest penalty in football. On any play, a defender could take out the receiver, and the NFL would be what it was in 1920.

A random face mask or late hit call, while consequential, does not usually change the outcome of the play, it's a safety issue.

Referees can't see everything, but we expect them to see what everyone else watching could easily see. They are not supposed to miss the completely obvious. That's the problem with any arguments that try to balance this against other bad calls.

This was the only call of the weekend in this category... and since it's so easy to see that the Saints are 99% winners if it's called right, and it changes who goes to the Super Bowl, it will go down as the worst missed call ever...

So just stop with the equivocations

But isn't that the issue here? If they release a statement saying exactly that they aren't covering themselves at all because there IS a procedure in place to correct this. It is an unprecedented procedure, but there is something they can do. The wording will have to be to where enacting that rule is not in play.

The only thing they can do, by the rules, is order the end of the game to be replayed.

So, let me ask you this....looking at this objectively....you really want the NFL to set a precedent that they will replay a game because of a missed call? Because once they open that box, they will have to consider replaying every game that has a missed call at a critical moment.

So, let me ask you this....looking at this objectively....you really want the NFL to set a precedent that they will replay a game because of a missed call? Because once they open that box, they will have to consider replaying every game that has a missed call at a critical moment.

I'll opine on that.

Yes, I want the precedent set. If there is ever another situation where a specific no/missed penalty call robs a team of a chance to ice a playoff victory, then I absolutely want us to be the pioneers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom