NFL Draft 2008: Rutgers RB Ray Rice declares (1 Viewer)

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That makes (early entries)

Jamaal Charles, Texas
Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
Ray Rice, Rutgers
Kevin Smith, UCF
Darren McFadden, Arkansas

To go with seniors
Mike Hart, Michigan
Matt Forte, Tulane
Jacob Hester, LSU
Tashard Choice, GTech

Wow. We potentially could get a very, very good RB in the middle of the draft.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we went RB in round 3, but our first two picks must be spent on defense.

Only definite s for next year are RB and PT, can't deny that.

Stecker can come back as well, and when he has had the chance, he has done well.

We should not even think about drafting a RB.

I don't even care if he's too good to pass up...we have no need for a RB.

Only definite s for next year are RB and PT, can't deny that.

No, the only definites for next year are Deuce and Bush. We can't cut Deuce at this time, so at worst he will be on the 53 inactive, overwhelmingly more likely he'll be active on gameday.

Stecker will most likely be resigned. I don't see a mid round RB beating out PT.

That all adds up to any RB we pick most likely being cut.

The only way we can justify drafting a running back this year is if we are getting rid of Deuce or Stecker. If we go into camp with (a healthy) Deuce, Bush, Steck, PT, rookie, you can count on another wasted draft pick.

Last edited:
Just pay attention to the draft. If the Saints draft a RB, it'll be in round 3 or 4. They may pull the trigger on Hester, Choice, or Forte if either are available. I just don't see why they would draft one, but that would be the rounds to do so. Everything's going to depend on their true feelings about Pierre Thomas, Aaron Stecker, and the health of Deuce. Remember, the idea is always to upgrade and get younger legs and the three that I just mentioned represent that.

You guys are crazy if you think we can pin the hopes of next season on Pierre Thomas's shoulders. I agree that he's earned a shot to be the man, but I think it would be bad planning to assume that he will earn the starting spot. It's better to have a rookie RB on hand and not need him than forego RB in the draft, to realize that PT was a one-hit wonder and be left with just Reggie at the beginning of the '08 season. I agree that RB is not a need, but this draft is shaping up to be very deep in talent.

I think about 90% of those RBs listed above are better than Antonio Pittman, so I can't see that being used as an excuse. Deuce can't be counted on anymore. In my opinion, he's done, unfortunately, until he can prove otherwise. I can't think of any precedent where a RB remains servicable after two ACL injuries.

Besides who do we have besides Reggie and PT? We need depth, and this is the perfect draft to add depth.

I can't think of any precedent where a RB remains servicable after two ACL injuries.

After tearing both ACLs, Terry Allen had three straight 1,000+ yard seasons including his 1,300 yard 21 rushing TD pro bowl season in 96. After that he was still productive rushing for over 3,100 yards the next 5 seasons....played a few games for us in there actually.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom