NFL Draft 2017: How a win or loss Sunday affects Saints' first-round standing (1 Viewer)

Yeah, it's not at all like 2014/15. Except for the terrible start, the leaky defense, the lousy special teams and the late surge once we're out of the playoffs that drops us down 10 spots in the draft.

LOL

If you can't see the difference between the end of those two years and this season, then there's absolutely nothing to even bother discussing with you.

When in 2014/2015 was the defense trending upward from mid-season on while fielding street free agents as starting corners? I'll answer for you. Never. This team is finally out of dead money hell heading into free agency and is actually a few key pieces away from being a much better team than this year.

Keep pounding the "we suck and there's no hope" drum all you want. Just don't expect those of us who can tell the difference between Monday and Tuesday to do it with you.

If you can't see the difference between the end of those two years and this season, then there's absolutely nothing to even bother discussing with you.

When in 2014/2015 was the defense trending upward from mid-season on while fielding street free agents as starting corners? I'll answer for you. Never. This team is finally out of dead money hell heading into free agency and is actually a few hey pieces away from being a much better team than this year.

Keep pounding the "we suck and there's no hope" drum all you want. Just don't expect those of us who can tell the difference between Monday and Tuesday to do it with you.

If we sucked there might actually be hope. It's the mediocrity that's killing us.

And the guys that gave us the gigantic dead money hole are the same ones that will charge back into FA this year, apparently with "SB or Bust" in mind for 2017. Very similar to 2014.

Hopefully we're really back to 09-11 level. That would be great. I just see a lot more than 1 or 2 pieces needed and some longstanding organizational trends that are impossible to ignore. But YMMV.

I struggle with this because it is Atlanta. Anyone else and I would likely just rather the loss. The difference between 10 and 18 is huge. In a trade scenario, it would cost a team at least a high to mid 2nd rounder to move from 18 to 10. So, if you equate it that way, would you give up a high to mid 2nd rounder to win the game? Regardless, there is nothing we as fans can do to affect the outcome, so it is what it is.

I think I read this is the final game in their old stadium before they move to the sphincter bowl? What a way to send them off but the memory of the saints beating them in that final game

Beating the falcons would be nice but so would the 10th pick in the draft. At #10 we would be in a better position to get one of the top three pass rushers (Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen, or Derek Barnett). I don't know if any of those guys will still be on the board at 10 but who knows, guys fall every year. If those guys are off the board then the Saints could have their pick of a top CB or maybe the top LBer.

I know I'm in the minority around here but part of me can't help but wish we had lost the last 2 and this one.

We could've had the 7th pick.

It would show that we have glaring problems that need to be addressed. Like assistant coaches that need to be fired and a GM that needs to focus on the Saints 100% of the time.

I'm just tired of the complacency that comes from constant mediocrity.

It would show that we have glaring problems that need to be addressed. Like assistant coaches that need to be fired and a GM that needs to focus on the Saints 100% of the time.

I'm just tired of the complacency that comes from constant mediocrity.

Intentionally losing is not fair to players and coaches that are on the bubble. The HC must always give them a fair chance to be their best, or his reputation among FA's will suffer.

So the highest the Saints can pick is 10th if they lose, and 15th if they win. I'll take the win against the Falcons! To me it's worth the 5-8 spots between 10th and 18th (highest/lowest either way).

I don't really fault anyone that disagrees since we are out of the playoffs, but I can't help myself. I really love beating the Falcons that much!

The lower end of the range includes 15th if we lose, and the upper end of the range includes 15th even if we win, so we could be picking 15th whether we win or lose, so we might as well win and stick it to the dirty birds and avoid a third straight losing season.

I feel you Andrus, and, outside of winning the Super Bowl, there are no (or few) victories as satisfying as torching the Falcons. They are just our team to hate.

That said, and as satisfying as it is to hand it to them, I'll take the long term winning strategy over the short term emotional high.

And yes, while some argue that the draft is a crapshoot (hope that word is okay), we can and should all hopefully agree that, in theory, there is and should be a difference in quality between the 10th and the 15th pick.

I can only imagine beating Atlanta, enjoying the W, and then several months later on draft day, sitting at the 15th pick, we see a perfect pick, a HUGE need, sitting at the 10th pick and unlikely to fall to us. So what do we do? We trade up. We trade our 15th, along with our 2nd rounder, for example, to move up in the draft. So in effect, we gave away a 2nd round draft pick all in the name of beating Atlanta. Well, gosh, even as I type that, it still sounds good!!! LOL. See, that's how fun beating the Failclowns can be!

But being real, and if it really came down to that exact scenario, and given two choices:
  • Beat Atlanta, resulting in giving up a 2nd round pick (to move up to the 10th of the 1st)
  • Lose to Atlanta and maintain the higher draft position, thereby keeping the 2nd pick.
Mind you, I'm just presenting a make believe scenario, and I personally HATE trading up. But as it's something we've been prone to doing, we should consider the possibility. So in that scenario, I can only hope that all fans, while painful, would choose option 2, as it doesn't result in giving up a 2nd round pick. I mean, as fun as destroying the Failclowns is, that short-term enjoyment and satisfaction certainly isn't worth a 2nd rounder. Right?

how about this make believe scenario: we are sitting there in February watching the failclowns win the Superbowl because we let them win and gave them an easier path to the superbowl.

Has a team ever tanked a game on purpose? I'm not talking about resting starters or nicked up players before the playoffs. I mean actually lost game 17 on purpose? That would almost be like point shaving wouldn't it?

Has a team ever tanked a game on purpose? I'm not talking about resting starters or nicked up players before the playoffs. I mean actually lost game 17 on purpose? That would almost be like point shaving wouldn't it?

Bucs tanked vs. Saints in Week 17 of 2014 in order to get Winston.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom