NFL Draft prospects (give me some guys you think are worth looking at) (1 Viewer)

rlemieux

Who Dat?
Reaction score
We normally have some pretty knowledgeable draftnicks (sp?) on here so I figured I’d start a thread to see who you’re high on. We all know the big names but give me some guys that might be lesser known that can make an impact (not necessarily for the Saints but in general). Who’s a guy you think might be talked about 4-5 seasons from now.

I’ll start

Israel (Izzy) Abanikanda RB Pitt

Yes, I googled the spelling to make sure I got it right lol.

Good size 5’10 215lbs.

One cut runner. Always moving forward. No wasted movements in the backfield. Willing blocker and pass catcher but he’s more of a 2 down NFL back. Runs away from guys in the open field. Good production on the ground. Even out of the backfield he’s a catch and go type back. You’re not going to confuse him with any WR. Gets the yards the defense will give. Very seldom is he not moving forward or is more than a 1 cut guy. Ironically I’d say his comp is a Jamal Williams. Fast to the LOS, no wasted motion and he puts his foot in the dirt and goes. He could definitely be a good NFL back, especially in a committee type backfield.

I'm not necessarily advocating for the Saints to draft these players, but I'll give you a few mid to late round guys that have caught my eye:

QB Jaren Hall -- There's something about the guy. He's on the smaller side and doesn't have a rocket arm, but the guy can throw it where it needs to go, is highly intelligent and a great leader. Watch some of his interviews. He gets it.

WR Xavier Hutchinson -- 6'2" 205 bigger receiver who can go up and get it. He needs some refinement, but enjoyed watching his tape and could be a late round target for us if we're still looking for his body type/play style.

WR Jonathan Mingo -- A bigger body at 6'2" 220 with great athleticism and strength. Check out his combine numbers and tape. He's a guy I think is going to overachieve a little in the league bc his college stats weren't eye popping like some of these other guys.

TE Zack Kuntz -- 6'7" 255 pass catcher who can split out wide and align tight to work the seams. Ran 4.5 with a 40" vert. Won't offer much in the blocking game unless he adds some functional strength, but there's a role out there for guys like him.

CB/S Jay Ward -- Ward is another guy that has his best years ahead of him. He never got to stick at one position because of so many injuries and changes to the LSU roster, so he's played every single DB position during his time in Baton Rouge. He's going to be a really versatile piece (think PJ Williams with chance to be better) and a great team leader "dude" type. Needs to add a little weight and strength to hold up to his aggressive style of play.

S JL Skinner -- 6'4" 210 top of the draft guy, but I had to put him here because I so badly want us to have a big enforcer safety that can both lay the wood and cover the backend when needed.

I'm not necessarily advocating for the Saints to draft these players, but I'll give you a few mid to late round guys that have caught my eye:

QB Jaren Hall -- There's something about the guy. He's on the smaller side and doesn't have a rocket arm, but the guy can throw it where it needs to go, is highly intelligent and a great leader. Watch some of his interviews. He gets it.

WR Xavier Hutchinson -- 6'2" 205 bigger receiver who can go up and get it. He needs some refinement, but enjoyed watching his tape and could be a late round target for us if we're still looking for his body type/play style.

WR Jonathan Mingo -- A bigger body at 6'2" 220 with great athleticism and strength. Check out his combine numbers and tape. He's a guy I think is going to overachieve a little in the league bc his college stats weren't eye popping like some of these other guys.

TE Zack Kuntz -- 6'7" 255 pass catcher who can split out wide and align tight to work the seams. Ran 4.5 with a 40" vert. Won't offer much in the blocking game unless he adds some functional strength, but there's a role out there for guys like him.

CB/S Jay Ward -- Ward is another guy that has his best years ahead of him. He never got to stick at one position because of so many injuries and changes to the LSU roster, so he's played every single DB position during his time in Baton Rouge. He's going to be a really versatile piece (think PJ Williams with chance to be better) and a great team leader "dude" type. Needs to add a little weight and strength to hold up to his aggressive style of play.

S JL Skinner -- 6'4" 210 top of the draft guy, but I had to put him here because I so badly want us to have a big enforcer safety that can both lay the wood and cover the backend when needed.
Big fan of Mingo

Sam LaPorta - Iowa - TE
Can probably be had in the 3rd? Maybe. He's another Iowa TE that'll ball out at the NFL level.

I can see Ward as a late round pick.

DE Nick Herbig: 3rd round likely; undersized but we had Ellis rushing the passer and he can play that role better than Ellis; makes ridiculous plays.

WR Matt Landers: ran a 4.37 40 is tall and wins contested catches. Not sure why he’s not projected higher but currently projected 6th or 7th round.

LB Jack Campbell: would not mind if he’s selected in the first round. The best pure linebacker that actually knows how to play traditionally which is rare these days. Excellent in zone coverage. Has elite burst.

RB Keaton Mitchell: he’s tiny but uses size to his advantage. His tape is unreal. I like him better than Spears 🤭

OG Chandler Zavala: he has an interview with Brett Kohlman (sp) and he’s just really smart. Big, physical and agile.

LB Shaka Heyward: I’m in a YouTube fight with Steelers fans over who has the rights to the Heyward family originally. Saints drafted Shaka’s uncle Craig but he later went on to play for the Steelers. And of course, his son Cam has played for the Steelers for his whole career. I like Shaka’s tape and hole had a good combine performance.

Can probably be had in the 3rd? Maybe. He's another Iowa TE that'll ball out at the NFL level.
Love LaPorta. Put up solid numbers on an anemic offense. He was a WR in HS and you can tell by his YAC ability, there's something special there.

Keeping with TE's Luke Musgrave reminds me of shades Jimmy Graham. He's similar to Kuntz but utilizes his size significantly better (Kuntz plays small imo). Musgraves initial burst off the line serious rivals WRs. (offers almost nothing YAC, goes down to contact pretty easily also injury concerns)

Calijah Kancey out of Pitt is the best pass rushing iDL in this class. His pad level and hands have me confident he will be fine against the run. (regardless of his size)

Drew Sanders looks to be an interesting prospect at LB. Former Alabama rush LB transferred to Arkansas and transition to an off ball role. Looks fantastic covering space in the pass game(first year off ball linebacker so serious potential to play improve), has serious pass rush potential (9.5 sacks), but sometimes struggles arm tackling. Wouldn't be surprised if we took him at 29.

Oh and Josh Downs. Don't care how small or slow he is. He gets open.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom