N/S NFL Explores How Marijuana And CBD Can Be Used As Opioid Alternatives For Players (2 Viewers)

Perhaps your family members were not mentally strong to handle a plant. You could pick other actions and your family member would have likely still succumbed to something. For example, cheeseburgers.
Merl, I like ya man but you are parroting a tired old trope.
People who get addicted to drugs are experiencing a form of depression, being "not mentally strong to handle" it has nothing to do with it. Addiction is a mental disorder and needs be treated. Unfortunately, addicts are depressed and ashamed and self medicate instead of seeking help.

It often depends on the individual personality of drug users and their preference for liking weed or cannabis, and just staying there "and going no further". Some other drug users personalities like the nice high weed might give them but maybe it gets boring and redundant after a while, so some of them want to experiment with a substance that creates a better kick to it like cocaine, methamphetamines, illegal prescriptions they abuse like Adderall, or maybe even Oxycontin. The potency, strength, and high purity level of heroin usually doesn't get taken by successful white collar professionals. If you're working on Wall St. as a commodities broker, or securities and exchanges, the extreme dependency Heroin has on the body and people's psychological state, is too strong and severe to successfully co-opt into their daily lives.

Cocaine, probably but heroin, PCP, MDMA are substances that most successful businessmen from lawyers, doctors, DC politicians, Wall St. traders and executives won't even think about taking much less use it.

You talk about people who figuratively start using drugs they find closest to the gate, I ask: if its alcohol, cocaine, LSD, misusing or abusing prescription medication, or heroin if they begin that fearful, unknowing journey down the rabbit hole, does it matter which drug their addicted to, if their lives are forked up anyway?

Marijuana and cannabis have a very mild dependency level and while clinical trial studies have discovered significant cognitive impairment or damage long-term over 25-30 years or longer, but those potential side effects are avoidable arguably then abusing heroin, developing schizophrenic, psychotic symptoms from using high-powered LSD-25, or hallucinagetics, or being diagnosed with cardiac irrythmia, heart disorder, or strokes owing from cocaine abuse.
I don’t think ‘personality’ is the right term here - much more like ‘brain chemistry’

Don't agree with this and never will. That crap has destroyed too many lives as a starter drug and I don't care what anyone else says that it isn't. I have numerous family members that start with pot and ended up abusing harder crap and ruined there lives to convince me otherwise.
I'm sorry that your family members suffer from addiction. I have several family members that suffer from life altering addiction to alcohol, and opiods. None of them used Cannabis as a precursor.

The fact is (backed up by statistics) that most people who use Cannabis do not use other drugs. And despite being federally illegal, there has been a LOT of research into the benefits and the downsides to using this plant.

I use it in moderation to help alleviate depression, and it does the job better than any pill ever has. It is one of the kindest drugs to use and stop using when compared to other drugs such as alcohol, anti-depressants, benzos, opiods, etc. It's non-toxic, and not physically addictive. 100's of millions of people use it daily without any deaths, overdoses, etc. Many successful people quietly (and some not so quietly) use it without issue.

Again, I am sorry that your family suffers from addiction. I know how that feels. But, Cannabis is not to blame. Addiction is psychological and physical. The drug used is simply the end result of addiction. It could be cannabis, alcohol, sex, food, crack, etc.

have you ever thought that maybe it was just the first one they had access to. People who have a propensity to try things regardless of legal status tend to try many things and something has to be first. It’s not a gateway, it just often grows closest to the gate. I know one of these folks very very well.

Agreed. What most don't realize is that the substance used is simply the end result of addiction. What leads someone to seek out a chemical, food, sex, etc is what matters. How do you get to that point? THAT is what treatment for addiction targets.. not the drug or substance itself.

Don't agree with this and never will. That crap has destroyed too many lives as a starter drug and I don't care what anyone else says that it isn't. I have numerous family members that start with pot and ended up abusing harder crap and ruined their lives to convince me otherwise.

Bingo.

Pot is a sneaky bad drug that drags excellent people down to good, good people down to mediocre, and mediocre people down to total failure.

Any drug worth buying has the powerful effect of deluding the user into believing it's not harming him. I've had people look me in the eye and tell me pot is harmless and not affecting his behavior. Then why does he look and talk stoned, miss work, take unnecessary risks, forget to take out the garbage, neglect his kids, and stink?

It would be like high school all over again. When I was at Fortier in the 90s, you could walk in the locker room or any restroom and be overwhelmed by the smell of a shared nickle bag.

Don't agree with this and never will. That crap has destroyed too many lives as a starter drug and I don't care what anyone else says that it isn't. I have numerous family members that start with pot and ended up abusing harder crap and ruined there lives to convince me otherwise.
Put me in that number, with about 20 friends

Also I've been a medical cannabis patient in FL for over 5 years and I have never wanted to try other drugs beyond the "gateway". I hold no ill feelings towards those who oppose its uses. All I can say is after 25 surgeries and almost losing a kidney to prescribed opioids, I have no desire to ingest another pill. I know 3 cancer patients who rely heavily on it's calming effects. All may not agree but I'm proof that Marijuana is a useful alternative. I haven't had a need for a pain pill since I got in the cannabis program.

That damn gate must be REALLY FAR AWAY... better hurry Willie, you don't have much time to get hooked on them heroins! I know a # of major business players that are "weekend addicts" w/heroin & even more that used to go through coke like a snowblower.

Inappropriate forum, but the TRUTH s out there. Little hint: some of you believe the sheet vomited since the '20's.
As for the descent into mediocrity, please look up Carl Sagan, Michael Phelps, Steve Jobs & MANY of the most popular comedians, musicians & actors(& more than a few Founding Fathers). Addictive personality runs about 18% in the US, most of the other "addicts" have underlying issues. More people become addicted/sicken/die due to SUGAR! More people die from eating banana in 1 year than have died from Cannabis OD, EVER.

Personally, I graduated from HS w/honors, served in the USMC, have 2 degrees w/a combined GPA of 3.8(when there was no +4), ran one of the best kitchens in the world for 4 years, performed over 40 years on stage/studio, published 3 books & dozens of articles, worked w/labs/breeders/growers on 4 continents for medical research & planted my 1st Cannabis seed in Lafayette in 1974. Over the years, I have had my entire C spine fused/plated, 3 shoulder surgeries, 5 cysts removed from my spine & head, both hands repaired, 3 tumors removed my my chest, got the PLAGUE, had over 20 cortisone shots & never stayed on opioids for more than a few weeks. We raised 2 kids & was a caregiver for a quadriplegic 80 year old on 2 SS disability checks.
I feel like such a slacker, maybe I should put down the bong, get my arse off the couch & accomplish something.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom