NFL Extra Point Trivia (1 Viewer)

Craig Walker

WHO DAT
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You can score 1 point in the NFL (and NCAA) 2 ways.

One obviously is kicking an extra point.

What's the 2nd way?

(don't cheat and Google it) :)

Stumbled on this Googling yesterday's fiasco...

Extra point is blocked and other team gains possession in the field of play. They then retreat into the end zone and are tackled.

Any other time it's 2 points, but on the Xpt it's only 1. Crazy huh?

So, is it the same if the kicking team somehow finds themselves in their own endzone as they get tackled, or is that 2 points or what?

And obviously if the blocking team had recovered the ball in the endzone and were tackled, that would not result in the safety. Correct?

Extra point is blocked and other team gains possession in the field of play. They then retreat into the end zone and are tackled.

Any other time it's 2 points, but on the Xpt it's only 1. Crazy huh?

Wait... you mean, if Denver would've gained possession and, instead of going to the end zone to our backs, they ran backward to the end zone to THEIR back and gets tackled? Why would they even do that?

See video in post 5.

It's happened twice in college, never in NFL (to my understanding)

And obviously if the blocking team had recovered the ball in the endzone and were tackled, that would not result in the safety. Correct?

Yeah, that'd be just a dead ball (like touchback)

Correct, because they did not field the ball in the field of play. The end zone is technically not in the field of play on kicking situations.

See video in post 5.

It's happened twice in college, never in NFL (to my understanding)

Sorry. Missed that video at first. So, yeah. Strange. I mean...the rule makes complete sense. But, retreating back into the end zone...why? If you can't return it, go down. The play is dead at that point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom